Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion U18s v Newcastle United U18s: FA Youth Cup 3rd rd, Amex Stadium, tonight 6pm

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps the U23s can put it right tonight at Fulham ?

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I was there and can try and give a fair and balanced view, considering this was my first viewing of them. I am sure others who may be more regular watchers can give a view based over a longer period of time

The first half was dominated by BHAFC, but final ball was lacking. Ljubicic had a header from a corner cleared off the line and Connolly went close after a mazy dribble.

In the second half, BHAFC created more clear cut chances, however the Newcastle goalkeeper pulled off several good saves from Connolly on several occasions and Cashman.

However Newcastle scored from a corner (poor marking) about half way through second half, and from that point onwards it was rather embarrassing.

Two penalties were given away, the second of which was a catalogue of defensive howlers. Both were converted. I left just before the fifth one went in.

As a summary:
Cannot comment on GK (McGill). Newcastle were ruthless in front of goal and had no chance with any of the goals.
Back four were poor throughout. Newcastle had a good front three and moved well.
Shihab had a good first half but faded in second half. His partner Araujo went about his business effectively in first half, but struggled in second half.
Longman ran down too many blind alleys.
Cashman looked frustrated throughout. Glimpses of potential.
Ljubicic won everything in the air, but poor on the ground.
Connolly was very lively, but should have scored on a number of occasions especially when we were on top.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
As a summary:
Cannot comment on GK (McGill). Newcastle were ruthless in front of goal and had no chance with any of the goals.
Back four were poor throughout. Newcastle had a good front three and moved well.
Shihab had a good first half but faded in second half. His partner Araujo went about his business effectively in first half, but struggled in second half.
Longman ran down too many blind alleys.
Cashman looked frustrated throughout. Glimpses of potential.
Ljubicic won everything in the air, but poor on the ground.
Connolly was very lively, but should have scored on a number of occasions especially when we were on top.

Thanks for posting this.

As regards the defence: both central defenders are U-16 lads (ie effectively playing up a year) in Ben Clark-Eden and Haydon Roberts (who also plays at left-back). It is unfortunate that Kipras Kazukolovas (Lithuanian U-17 captain who joined us as a scholar in the summer and was called up to the Lithuanian U-21 squad in September at the age of 16) suffered a season-ending injury a week after that call-up. Another centre-back, Sam Rolph, a 1st-year scholar last season, moved to Peterborough in the summer so presumably we have put our faith in the younger lads coming through (we also have Matt Weaire as a 1st-year but he has only made a couple of substitute appearances all season). Despite this result, hopefully the experience that Clark-Eden and Roberts are getting (they have played in most of the matches this season) will serve them (and Albion) well in future years.

Tareq Shihab is a current England U-17 international who has also played at centre-back and right-back. Pleased to hear he showed up well, at least in the first half. Cashman scored a hatful of goals during his U-15 season (often playing up a year, he netted 44 for Albion) and broke into the England squad, but has had a tougher time last season and this.

We might also have had another U-16 feature, midfielder Teddy Hoare, who has impressed me what little I have seen of him, but he was injured playing for England U-16s against the USA in the Nike Friendlies Tournament in Florida last week.

Obviously a very disappointing result last night but hopefully the experience the younger lads are getting will pay-off in the next year or two. It is a shame that Albion U-18s don't play again for five weeks (next fixture is on January 13th) so a very sour note to end the calendar year on.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
don't be a prat.....the U23s are losing to the likes of Exeter, Stevenage............no disrespect to the opposition, but we should be doing better ?

The fact that out of 16 teams in the third round of the Checkatrade Trophy, only 2 are U-21 sides, would certainly not imply that we "should" be beating "the likes" of Stevenage's first-team squad (or, if we should, then I guess virtually every other Category One academy is also under-performing). And if you are going to focus on the defeat to Exeter City in the U-23 Premier League Cup group stage, shouldn't you also probably mention the 5-0 win at Sunderland in the same competition two months before?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Final score: Albion U-18s 0 Newcastle United U-18s 5 (Five).

What a piss-poor result that is; the Magpies haven't won a league match all season and sit bottom of the U-18 Premier League North table. And Albion won 3-2 up there earlier in the season in U-18 Premier League Cup.

I got up this morning looking forward to being able to watch the U-18s for one of the few times this season: so, all-in-all, a thoroughly shit experience all round.
Having watched the game I have to say that the score was astonishing - we probably had 3 x as many good scoring opportunities than Newcastle. But, like the first team, our finishing needs to improve.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here