Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sit down or risk losing seat warning*

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just stick all the boring f***ers down the front

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Joking aside (and there are some facetious posts on this thread - including mine) you're correct. All stands at all football grounds, and the North at the Amex is no exception, contain a mixture of those who want to stand and those who want to sit. Until the issue is resolved the two sides will continue to piss each other off. The 'sitters' have the regulations on their side, and the 'standers' have tradition, numbers and the fact that it's football not tennis and you simply cannot sit down all game. (Then of course you get into the debate of what constitutes 'persistent standing').

As we all know the regulations are persistently flouted by thousands of fans up and down the land at every game - especially away fans. The authorities huff and puff but given the sheer numbers involved they cannot really put their collective foot down and so they usually turn a blind eye. It will be interesting to see if this Norwich escapade is a serious attempt to up the ante, or whether it's just the usual finger-wagging threat with no real, permanent sanction at the end.

Strictly speaking, a ground can have its safety certificate withdrawn, so the club(s) have to be seen to be doing something, but rarely enforce it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
People don't stand anyway unless they're in the north stand, the north west corner stand up and make more noise than the west and east stands put together..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Strictly speaking, a ground can have its safety certificate withdrawn, so the club(s) have to be seen to be doing something, but rarely enforce it.

Indeed, that was my point. Will the Authorities ever truly enforce the regulations by withdrawing the Safety Certificate from a ground where there has been persistent standing? My daughter's boyfriend (a STH at Old Trafford) regularly gets letters about standing. He ignores them, as do all the people in his vicinity, and nothing ever happens. But at least the club can say they've 'done something'. Man U are too big to threaten, so will the authorities make an example of Norwich? As I said, it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Don't have any issue standing up all though we are in the back row of the North Stand. We chose those seats for the reason of being able to stand.

kennyb

May 23, 2004
I think you'll find that's why the rules are being tightened. There's always some moron who thinks it's his right to stand and upset everyone behind.

This is totally my situation i fully agree with the poster

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
This is totally my situation i fully agree with the poster

Sitters - front of the North and practically everywhere else in the Amex. Be happy, be comfy.

North - mainly standing along the back and down to halfway, or further if poss. Thats it. Done.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Football supporters have been sent a letter warning them to sit down during matches or risk losing their seat.

Norwich City said it is under "direct threat of having capacity reduced" after being told standing levels in its all-seater stadium was "unacceptable".

Fans in one section of its Carrow Road ground have been told to stay seated at their next home game on Saturday.

A club spokesman said it issued the ultimatum after consultation with the body that grants safety certificates.

He added the Championship club had been working with the Norfolk Safety Advisory Group to "tackle an issue with persistent standing in Block A of the lower Barclay Stand this season".

This follows very strong complaints from season ticket holders in that area whose views of the game have been partially or wholly obstructed for long periods due to people persistently standing in front of them," he said.

This is what is wrong with football in this day and age

Damn right. Most people pay to sit in their seats and watch the game without being obstructed by selfish people standing in front of them.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sitters - front of the North and practically everywhere else in the Amex. Be happy, be comfy.

North - mainly standing along the back and down to halfway, or further if poss. Thats it. Done.

Can't you sing while you're sitting down? I know it interferes with the diaphragm, but I'm not sure that matters too much in a rendition of "stand up if you hate Palace"...

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Clap politely

You were a pleasure to sit next to last year. Although your clapping had a slightly triumphal tone with its politeness.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
If I bought a ticket for the North Stand I would expect to spend much of the game standing up. Anywhere else I would grumble if I couldn't be seated.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here