Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sit down or risk losing seat warning*

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
yet another selfish supporter its not about rights its about safety for everyone. Personally i would back moves to ban persistent offenders from the Amex

if it upsets you this much can I ask why you haven't considered a seat closer to the front or a seat in the south stand with the same view

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
if it upsets you this much can I ask why you haven't considered a seat closer to the front or a seat in the south stand with the same view

Don't ask stupid questions. He wants to SIT at the back of the North Stand and he won't have it any other way, a stand based off it's terraced predecessor.

Carrow Road has a poor atmosphere enough as it is, without those that seem to get some atmosphere going at our side of their Barclay stand the place would be a morgue.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This happens at the Amex especially in NS behind the goal, inconsiderate people standing up for 5-10 mins with no consideration for those whose view they are obstructing, i have some arthritis in my legs and cant stand up for long periods why should i be put at a disadvantage when i have paid my ST money its just being selfish, everyone should accept the best thing for everyone is to sit down.

I agree 100%, it is unfair for you to have your view obstructed. I just can't help feel that people who want to stand should have the option to provided it doesn't interfere with others enjoyment of the game. In your case obviously they should be seated, definitely.

It's funny because personally speaking I also prefer to sit but if there were a safe standing referendum or whatever I'd definitely vote in favour of it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If the whole of the North stand choose to stand up for the match would they have to change the words for ‘’If you hate Crystal Palace stand up ‘’ :moo:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Unfortunately, until the ruling is changed, to allow safe standing, this is going to happen. The sooner it does the better, so those who want to stand can.
I can't anymore, but don't want to stop those who do.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Don't ask stupid questions. He wants to SIT at the back of the North Stand and he won't have it any other way, a stand based off it's terraced predecessor.

Where does he say he sits at the back of the North Stand? Some of them are standing at the front.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
This happens at the Amex especially in NS behind the goal, inconsiderate people standing up for 5-10 mins with no consideration for those whose view they are obstructing, i have some arthritis in my legs and cant stand up for long periods why should i be put at a disadvantage when i have paid my ST money its just being selfish, everyone should accept the best thing for everyone is to sit down.

Have you considered moving? Not necessarily away from the north, but towards the front of the stand everyone appears to be seated.
However, you may have been a little naive if you thought the North would comply with being told to sit down.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
There is no enforced safe standing rule in place at Brighton , well not in the away end anyway .

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
And what happens if the people in front of me stand making me stand?

I'm in the North row P. I have found in the last few games more and more standing. Doesn't bother me I prefer to stand. I constantly have a woman tapping me on the shoulder asking me to sit but If I sit I cant see ! I cant insist on all the rows in front sitting so im stuffed.

I think you'll find that's why the rules are being tightened. There's always some moron who thinks it's his right to stand and upset everyone behind.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hilarious.

Wasn't really meant to be funny as I said. I've heard this attitude before with sweeping statements suggesting that everyone should be seated, despite the history of the game and despite what goes on now. Then he continues to follow script by citing 'safety reasons' from what everyone knows full well is a bogus report that will sooner or later be invalidated. All that anyone asks is that in a particular area of a particular part of the ground that we turn a blind eye to the 'rules', which is exactly what happens until such time as safe standing is introduced. Yet we have threads like this where it is only ever people who enjoy watching football standing being unreasonable...
(I appreciate as someone who enjoys sitting that you have a reasonable opinion on this).

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Unfortunately, until the ruling is changed, to allow safe standing, this is going to happen. The sooner it does the better, so those who want to stand can.
I can't anymore, but don't want to stop those who do.

Joking aside (and there are some facetious posts on this thread - including mine) you're correct. All stands at all football grounds, and the North at the Amex is no exception, contain a mixture of those who want to stand and those who want to sit. Until the issue is resolved the two sides will continue to piss each other off. The 'sitters' have the regulations on their side, and the 'standers' have tradition, numbers and the fact that it's football not tennis and you simply cannot sit down all game. (Then of course you get into the debate of what constitutes 'persistent standing').

As we all know the regulations are persistently flouted by thousands of fans up and down the land at every game - especially away fans. The authorities huff and puff but given the sheer numbers involved they cannot really put their collective foot down and so they usually turn a blind eye. It will be interesting to see if this Norwich escapade is a serious attempt to up the ante, or whether it's just the usual finger-wagging threat with no real, permanent sanction at the end.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I think you'll find that's why the rules are being tightened. There's always some moron who thinks it's his right to stand and upset everyone behind.

The rules are being tightened, for Norwich. (they have another standing section by the way)

Thankfully most people understand the concept of our North Stand so I would imagine there being nowhere near the amount of complaints to act on.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well yeah obviously. I just mean that I personally feel people should be allowed to stand if they want to. Safe standing, changing the laws, whatever but people should have the choice. If they're standing in front of people who clearly want to sit then yeah throw the book at them.
So will you have people stand in height so the six footer doesn't obstruct a 5 footer... Only joking :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Wasn't really meant to be funny as I said. I've heard this attitude before with sweeping statements suggesting that everyone should be seated, despite the history of the game and despite what goes on now. Then he continues to follow script by citing 'safety reasons' from what everyone knows full well is a bogus report that will sooner or later be invalidated. All that anyone asks is that in a particular area of a particular part of the ground that we turn a blind eye to the 'rules', which is exactly what happens until such time as safe standing is introduced. Yet we have threads like this where it is only ever people who enjoy watching football standing being unreasonable...
(I appreciate as someone who enjoys sitting that you have a reasonable opinion on this).

I used to stand quite happily, but cannot now. I've been to an away match where we've been made to sit down and then had a steward stand in front of me. That's why I refuse to go the City ground now. I'm not giving them money to have my view blocked.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here