Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Helping our homeless

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It’s often hard to help out the homeless. As many of you probably do, giving handouts when I see them.
Trying to help out with soup wagons etc isn’t easy. They always seem to have enough helpers when contacting them.
I’ve noticed some people hanging items of clothing round trees and lamposts which seem a very good idea.
Is this something we on NSC could imitate in our local areas?

09D9A163-554A-4BEB-B957-A1A3F3081410.jpeg

20505D7D-5B2A-4CEE-8C4A-28E3699ACA71.jpeg

https://ibb.co/iGj7fG

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I personally would normally only give to known charities where people looking for support & assistance will turn to.

My fear of on street hand outs is that it either encourages begging or is used to feed habits - which isn't where i want my money going

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I personally would normally only give to known charities where people looking for support & assistance will turn to.

My fear of on street hand outs is that it either encourages begging or is used to feed habits - which isn't where i want my money going

Agree 100%. Saw a bloke asleep in Duke St on Sunday and you could see he was under the influence of some drug or other. Sad, but then again it brings the place down when someone's sleeping across the shopping. street

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Can't think of anything much worse than to be homeless on the streets , yup there's the scammers but you get to know the real homeless after a while , i remember that young girl who used to sleep rough in the doorways along london round a few years ago , i spoke to her and she said she had been homeless for 4 years :down: she only looked about 20 then ffs , very sad , i'm not sure i'd want to give to a charity that deals with the problem as you never know how much of your quid actually makes it on to the streets , i'm not sure anybody would want my old clothes tbh so the odd quid in the cup here and there will have to do .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only takes a couple of quid to buy a warm winter coat out of any one of the dozen charity shops in London Road. It'll last all winter. No idea where the rest of the begging money goes...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
did I say she wasn't? ,cheap at half the price though , let's not get in the way of facts .
regards
DR

And what does that mean? That I should pay her half the going rate simply because she is Romanian?

The only facts are that I am fair-minded and you are a c*nt.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Can't think of anything much worse than to be homeless on the streets , yup there's the scammers but you get to know the real homeless after a while , i remember that young girl who used to sleep rough in the doorways along london round a few years ago , i spoke to her and she said she had been homeless for 4 years :down: she only looked about 20 then ffs , very sad , i'm not sure i'd want to give to a charity that deals with the problem as you never know how much of your quid actually makes it on to the streets , i'm not sure anybody would want my old clothes tbh so the odd quid in the cup here and there will have to do .

This is my concern. Having given to charities plenty of times, I wonder how much actually goes to where we intend it to go and how much gets swallowed up in admin costs etc

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me there's a 'homeless' person missing a massive trick here. Not a single one to be seen on the approach from Falmer station to the stadium. Nearest we've got is that um, ECCENTRIC busker in the underpass you have to go through when you get off the 25 bus at the Sports Hall stop. Fair play, certainly knows his target audience, even if I've yet to see anybody give him any money.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
This is my concern. Having given to charities plenty of times, I wonder how much actually goes to where we intend it to go and how much gets swallowed up in admin costs etc

Well - I have to say it and it sounds bad - but there are some charities that I won't give to because I've heard
they spend inordinate amounts on almost fat cat directors.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here