Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] UK rail passengers face biggest rise for five years

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Moaning about the railways has always gone on. Former colleagues of mine commuted in the 70's and 80's, and despised ASLEF, NUR and British Rail with a passion. Told stories of 'white collar' showdowns by angry City workers en masse telling railway staff to f**k off and also challenging them over industrial action.

The only positive was it was a cheap crappy service then.

Back in the days when you could get a decent toasted bacon sarnie from the buffet carriage.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn’t happen in Germany.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Japan's privatised rail service is second to none. The problem isn't privatised railways but rather the methods Thatcher's Tories used to implement it.

An absolute omnishambles.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Japan's privatised rail service is second to none. The problem isn't privatised railways but rather the methods Thatcher's Tories used to implement it.

An absolute omnishambles.
Desperate last privatisation of Majors govt iirc. Everything was parcelled up and flogged off. The Rolling stock companies were all sold to their management for a song and then resold on making millionaires of those lucky enough to be in a management position with these 'companies' and correspondingly defrauding all us mug taxpayers who endured more state assets being flogged off on the cheap

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Desperate last privatisation of Majors govt iirc. Everything was parcelled up and flogged off. The Rolling stock companies were all sold to their management for a song and then resold on making millionaires of those lucky enough to be in a management position with these 'companies' and correspondingly defrauding all us mug taxpayers who endured more state assets being flogged off on the cheap

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Was it Major? You might be right, I can't be bothered to check it. The thing about Japan's privatised companies is that they own every part of their franchise. The land, the track, the rolling stock, the passenger fares. They make more money from the land, by building **** tons of department stores, hotels and shopping malls at every major station they can then easily subsidise losses from the non-profitable suburban stations and services without ****ing over the passengers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Worth pointing out that New Labour completely mucked up the tube too. Has been forgotten in history since they a had much bigger #### up with Iraq.

The whole industry generally agrees that theprivatisation v public ownership argument is a red herring.

It's the splitting of track and rail. That's John Major's legacy to the UK. Even Thatcher stopped with the Railways.

I also think these surcharges for the rail upgrades should come directly out of central taxation so the daily rail users don't take the hit.

There are all sorts of things I pay for through my taxes that I don't use directly.

The current situation is the usual way employed by the Tories to make "taxes" appear lower than they are by allowing the prices to rise.

When people complain the buck is passed onto the rail operators.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Back in the days when you could get a decent toasted bacon sarnie from the buffet carriage.

The bacon sarnies were great but I don’t miss the buffet cars on the way home full of desperate men behaving badly business types, talking shit to each other before getting home to the missus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This is interesting for me. I had planned to look for work in London in the new year because there isn't much in Brighton / Sussex. But that rail increase has pretty much killed any possibility. A payrise for a new role isn't a payrise if half of it goes to the rail companies.

Means I'm going to have look further afield. Over the Downs. The North.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is interesting for me. I had planned to look for work in London in the new year because there isn't much in Brighton / Sussex. But that rail increase has pretty much killed any possibility. A payrise for a new role isn't a payrise if half of it goes to the rail companies.

Means I'm going to have look further afield. Over the Downs. The North.

nonsense. the increased yearly fare to London all terminals with zone 1-6 travel card will be about £160 for annual, or £215 for monthly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We should nationalise the railways so that we can run them as efficiently as the NHS

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Because I work there (smoke). And I could not buy a house anywhere near London in 89. Then I got ****ed over by the Lawson boooom and bust, massive interest rates, negative equity... "you may not like the tories for their social policies, but they certainly know how to nurture the economy". Do they ****. FFS. Shower of charlatan second hand car dealing euro-obsessed knobwomble*****. By and large.

And here I am, still.

But all is paid off and my pension reaches full froth next September, so if the HoD, nutjob south east rail, and all, piss me off too much, then I'm off. :flounce::flounce::flounce:

:lolol:punk::thumbsup:

All of this....................including possibly flouncing off once I'm in a position to do so (about 3.5 years I reckon, thanks to the changes in pension rules a while back that makes 55 the new 67 :lol: )

Working from home 2-3 days a week keeps me sane. There is no way in the world I would go back to a 5 day a week commute. I went in 2 days last week - issues both days (one Southern, one Jubilee line). Only problem with irregular commuting is the costs are eye-watering - basically £50 a day to get to work.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm so tired of moaning about the trains, they are just f**king terrible. There isn't one positive thing to say about it or anybody who works in the industry. Whether it's the numerous cancellations, the unacceptable delays on a daily basis, the overpaid twats in the board room, the incompetent middle management who have no clue about the industry and convince themselves they're doing the right thing just because they have pointless "meet the manager" walkabouts when everyone is trying to get to work, the driver mongs who strike and whinge about guardless carriages until they're bribed sufficiently such that they now get paid £80k (including overtime) for pushing a button, or the rude and humourless pricks on the platforms who never ever know anything helpful and go AWOL in the event of absolute carnage (often on a Friday night) - I am just sick to death of the whole lot of them.

Another 3.5% rise? Pah. That only effects the passengers (that's "customers" to the rest of us), nobody in any of the groups above really gives a shit, and nor seemingly do successive governments of all 3 political persuasions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry didn't know you were so aware of my financial situation.

true, i assumed you'd consider going to London looking for more than £250-500 a year pay rise.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
true, i assumed you'd consider going to London looking for more than £250-500 a year pay rise.

Well let's say I'm on £40k and I get a job in London for £45k. Right now Southern are asking for £3832 per year which eats right into that pay rise. Factor in the increase they want to throw on and the prospect of sitting on a train for hours a day, if it turns up at all, becomes even less appealing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here