Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goalkeepers - hypothetical question

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Say you had a keeper which was really good in any given position outfield and an outfield player who was decent in goal but was a bit knackered are you allowed to swap them over? Obviously we have seen outfield players go in goal if necessary but never really goalies go outfield (except that Columbian Hugita but thats not the same thing)

Is an onfield swap allowed like we used to in the park? If so wonder if its happened

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Say you had a keeper which was really good in any given position outfield and an outfield player who was decent in goal but was a bit knackered are you allowed to swap them over? Obviously we have seen outfield players go in goal if necessary but never really goalies go outfield (except that Columbian Hugita)

Is an onfield swap allowed like we used to in the park? If so wonder if its happened

David James went up front for Manchester City, having started the game in goal.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
960.jpg

article-2562527-1B9EF0F200000578-382_964x581.jpg

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Am I missing something here, but why would you NOT be allowed (as long as toy change kits)? What's the difference between swapping a defender with an attacker for example?

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
From The Guardian in 2012, in response to the same question as the OP asked.

"And not much like David James, whose move up front for Manchester City in the final moments of the 2004-05 season gave Stuart Pearce's start to life as the City manager its distinctive hue. "There were still two minutes of normal time remaining, plus five for stoppages," wrote Daniel Taylor, in the Guardian, "when Stuart Pearce, adopting a form of leadership that would have been wacky even by Brian Clough's standards, had the brainwave of replacing a midfielder, Claudio Reyna, with his reserve goalkeeper, Nicky Weaver, and ordering David James to play as a centre-forward."

The game, against Middlesbrough, mattered because it would decide which of the teams would qualify for the Uefa Cup. "I sat at home on Saturday night and thought to myself: 'What shall I do if we're drawing the game late on and need to hit it long?'" Pearce said in explanation, offering scant comfort to the striker Jon Macken, who watched all this happen from the bench. City did win a late penalty but Robbie Fowler's effort was saved. James galumphed about the place and almost broke Doriva in half. "I wanted to unsettle them and in some ways it did," Pearce said. "It unsettled everyone. Them and us."

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Perfectly acceptable, only need to inform the ref of the change to ensure no handball decisions going against the new keeper.

It has been fairly common in certain friendly games where the rules for the friendly allow x subs + 1 goalkeeper change, you then get the situation if all outfield subs have been used, or bringing on the reserve keeper for an outfield player with the existing keeper becoming an outfield player and the sub keeper going in goal.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Think that was a different occasion. He just went up for a corner in that vid. He actually swapped to an outfield shirt and was replaced by a sub keeper in the one TLO is talking about

Yes you are right another keeper came on as TLO pointed out, never saw that. Still wondering if an onfield swap would be allowed. I guess it would then

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Birmingham City in the late 1960s/early 1970s, Dave Latchford hurt his hand and had to be replaced in goal by his brother Bob before switching to Bob's centre-forward position, but we've not got anything stronger than a vague recollection of a Star Soccer report to go on.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The Benevento goalie scored the equaliser against AC Milan at the weekend to secure their first point of the season. According to the local journalist, many people believe that he is a better striker than the actual strikers at the club, so maybe this scenario will become reality soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here