Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Threadful of songs from the West coast circa 1970 (one for the older NSCer)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The thing is a lot of the music we love is probably written or performed by total ar*e holes. Why should Charlie be any different. Back on the Craig Smith theme are you aware of the book "Swim through the Darkness" published last year? Looks an interesting read.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swim-Through-Darkness-Mystery-Maitreya/dp/1934170658

That book does sound very interesting, especially as the author is the journalist Mike Stax who collected Craig Smith's ashes (his family didn't want them :(

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I must confess, I find reading about these cult leaders morbidly fascinating. And you're probably right on the money with the reasons for Manson's lack of success. I do think he had talent, there's a few songs that I've heard that are pretty good. Trouble is that it is impossible to separate the man from the music.

I read a book about the Manson 'Family', very interesting, very disturbing. I also read Roman Polanski's biography (Repulsion????), what they did to his wife and unborn baby was abhorrent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I read a book about the Manson 'Family', very interesting, very disturbing. I also read Roman Polanski's biography (Repulsion????), what they did to his wife and unborn baby was abhorrent.

This thread led me to discover another Manson Family/music connection which I was previously unaware of. Manson Family member Bobby Beausoleil was in an early icarnation of the band Love with Arthur Lee. Beausoleil wasn't present at the Tate murder as he was already in police custody having been arrested for another murder three days earlier for which he is currently serving life. When you think that the late 60s/early 70s California music scene was associated with a laid back peace and love attitude it actually had quite a dark an sinister undertone when you look at the lives of the various musicians and their associations. The age of punk less than ten years later was relatively harmless and innocent despite the image it attempted to convey, with the odd exception of course.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here