Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are Brighton doomed as the fixtures pile up, according to this we could be....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we don’t get that elusive striker in January it could all go downhill....we have done brilliantly so far though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There was an interesting piece in the Sunday Times yesterday (paywall, sorry) which quoted Alex McLeish, the Birmingham City manager when they played the same team for 12 successive matches. The main thrust was that if a team is doing well, players can play an indefinite number of games. And when we were doing comparatively well, CH was reluctant to make too many changes.

I'd be inclined to send the same XI out at Huddersfield to prove themselves and take it from there.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Hemed in for Muzza for me at the very least. You cannot miss the opportunities he did at this level and go right back out there.

Anyway I think our fixture list is no harder than usual until January. A couple of big 6 games and some easier ones just like all season. We need 38 points to be safe so lets just keep trucking. A new striker in the window too.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
In 1980/81, Aston Villa won the championship using 14 players throughout the entire season.

el punal

I saw a stat that said Liverpool have made, I think, 54 changes to date this season which is the most in the Premier League.

I wondered if we'd made the fewest. Anyone know if there's a table of this knocking about anywhere?

I saw the stat somewhere that us, Burnley and one other have used the least number of players. Huddersfield maybe?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Crikey. Chin up lads. We're doing okay. It was always going to be a tough part of the season. Keep the faith.

Are you Micky Adams in disguise?

But, seriously..... spot on. I'm half tempted to use the 'BW' expression.

Oh, hang on..... I just had a temporal spasm...

We're Doomed! McWhohe OUT!!!!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I saw the stat somewhere that us, Burnley and one other have used the least number of players. Huddersfield maybe?

If you click on the link I posted in post #21, you will see it is Burnley, Leicester and Albion, in that order, who have made the fewest changes in line-up this season.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Are you Micky Adams in disguise?

But, seriously..... spot on. I'm half tempted to use the 'BW' expression.

Oh, hang on..... I just had a temporal spasm...

We're Doomed! McWhohe OUT!!!!

When you catch me saying that I didn't realise we should be in 6th spot by October and losing to a big club like Leeds is to be expected (I think those were a few of the Micky Adams Mk II comments from that time) then please take me out the back and shoot me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When you catch me saying that I didn't realise we should be in 6th spot by October and losing to a big club like Leeds is to be expected (I think those were a few of the Micky Adams Mk II comments from that time) then please take me out the back and shoot me.

Gun ready....

0815-flash-mob-water-pistol.jpg

punk:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Gun ready....
punk:

Hold fire. In my defence, I made a very rare call to Harty's phone-in around that time because of comments that Adams had made in a Naylor interview. He said he knew who his friends were and who were his enemies, referring to all the stick he was getting from fans about playing useless loanees out of position, playing Virgo in every position, not playing Butters in any position and our knack of conceding in the last 10 minutes. I was full of righteous indignation, something about "we're not the enemy. We'll be the only ones still here, long after Adams and Naylor gone".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hold fire. In my defence, I made a very rare call to Harty's phone-in around that time because of comments that Adams had made in a Naylor interview. He said he knew who his friends were and who were his enemies, referring to all the stick he was getting from fans about playing useless loanees out of position, playing Virgo in every position, not playing Butters in any position and our knack of conceding in the last 10 minutes. I was full of righteous indignation, something about "we're not the enemy. We'll be the only ones still here, long after Adams and Naylor gone".

:lolol:

Seen the cup draw? FFS.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What is the point of those articles. 2pts out of 12. Well two of the games we were expected to lose in that we played Manure and LIverpool. Might as well say we are doomed because we haven't picked up a point our of the last six conceding 6 goals!!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In 1980/81, Aston Villa won the championship using 14 players throughout the entire season.

Up until the 60s or 70s that was pretty much the norm. Every club had a first team, and the reserve RB, LB, left half, inside right or whatever came in if the first teamer was injured. Occasionally a reserve would force their way into the first team if the player in possession went off his form. There was no such thing as squad rotation.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Absolutely shit article to claim fixture congestion was the route of that defeat. There was a niggling doubt in me that if ever there was going to be a heavy defeat it would come against Liverpool given they have a propensity to get good results. Just look at what they did to Arsenal.

A heavy defeat brings you down to earth and allows you to identify weaknesses not yet exploited and it allows you to repair them. December is historically a bad month for some reason but if people are claiming that this defines Brighton.....it most certainly does not but what it does reiterate is that when you have a cushion in your first season in the PL is that you need to maintain it as opposed to trying to expand on it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here