Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A new Selhurst

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013
:lol: If you want to wind up the enemy, you're better putting a little bit of truth in there.

Is the plan at Selhurst to do one stand at a time?

I hope so! Beggars cant be choosers I suppose. The Arthur is a relic, however nostalgic we all feel it is. We were all expecting the announcement to be the main stand only and most are more than happy with that. As has been mentioned to death before we have quite a few obstacles in our way, theres no alternative sites for a new stadium and theres lots of restrictions on Selhurst so If we get the planning application all through and approved its a massive jump forward for us. Its a little bit pretty face horrible body but meh

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Oh it just gets better and better what a farce!!

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...g-sainsburys-store-unaware-crystal-876440.amp

Neighbouring Sainsbury’s store 'unaware' of Crystal Palace stadium announcement plans

The supermarket chain has a store that is built into part of the Selhurst Park

Crystal Palace FC announced plans for a massive redevelopment of Selhurst Park on Monday (November 4) though the neighbouring Sainsbury's, which is likely to be affected by the plans, says it was not aware of the plans.

The supermarket giant has reportedly proved to be an obstacle in previous discussions on whether the club would be able to redevelop the stadium, but it now seems Palace will be going ahead regardless after Palace announced multi-million pound redevelopment plans on Monday (December 4).

The Advertiser contacted the supermarket after questions were raised over Sainsbury's role in the latest redevelopment plans at Selhurst Park.

Spokesman David Mills, head of property communications at Sainsbury’s, said: “In terms of the announcement today (November 4), we were not aware of it. The plans released this afternoon were new to us.”

The Sainsbury’s site, which is part of the Whitehorse Lane Stand, is thought to have complicated previous redevelopment plans for the stadium, but the extent to which the site will impact on the latest idea, which would involve completely rebuilding the Main Stand, is unclear.

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013
Pretty sure thats says Palace are going ahead regardless of Sainsburys?

Its the main stand being redeveloped, so as long as it doesnt impact on sainsburys car park, who cares. Doesnt look like the Whitehorse is being developed any time soon anyway.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If that 'view from the stand' is accurate, then it's a bit shit. The rake is too shallow, so the pitch appears to be too far away. Although maybe that's a bonus if you're a Palace fan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Sainsbury’s site, which is part of the Whitehorse Lane Stand, gloriously shite and tinpot.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Oh it just gets better and better what a farce!!

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...g-sainsburys-store-unaware-crystal-876440.amp

Neighbouring Sainsbury’s store 'unaware' of Crystal Palace stadium announcement plans

The supermarket chain has a store that is built into part of the Selhurst Park

Crystal Palace FC announced plans for a massive redevelopment of Selhurst Park on Monday (November 4) though the neighbouring Sainsbury's, which is likely to be affected by the plans, says it was not aware of the plans.

The supermarket giant has reportedly proved to be an obstacle in previous discussions on whether the club would be able to redevelop the stadium, but it now seems Palace will be going ahead regardless after Palace announced multi-million pound redevelopment plans on Monday (December 4).

The Advertiser contacted the supermarket after questions were raised over Sainsbury's role in the latest redevelopment plans at Selhurst Park.

Spokesman David Mills, head of property communications at Sainsbury’s, said: “In terms of the announcement today (November 4), we were not aware of it. The plans released this afternoon were new to us.”

The Sainsbury’s site, which is part of the Whitehorse Lane Stand, is thought to have complicated previous redevelopment plans for the stadium, but the extent to which the site will impact on the latest idea, which would involve completely rebuilding the Main Stand, is unclear.

If Sainsbury's are unaware then obviously the tenants/owners of the 7 houses are not aware they are about to become maybe rich for a short period of being homeless. And the planning application is going in next month and work to start same year? Not only are their fans deluded but the owner is as well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I hope so! Beggars cant be choosers I suppose. The Arthur is a relic, however nostalgic we all feel it is. We were all expecting the announcement to be the main stand only and most are more than happy with that. As has been mentioned to death before we have quite a few obstacles in our way, theres no alternative sites for a new stadium and theres lots of restrictions on Selhurst so If we get the planning application all through and approved its a massive jump forward for us. Its a little bit pretty face horrible body but meh

I love the Amex because it's our home but nothing beats a stadium in the middle of a residential area. There's history and character even if the ground is a dump...Luton, Watford, your place(!), I love seeing floodlights above houses walking to a ground. There's pubs too. Surely you'd prefer to redevelop Selhurst than move to an all-purpose, shiny new ground in the middle of nowhere?

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I love the Amex because it's our home but nothing beats a stadium in the middle of a residential area. There's history and character even if the ground is a dump...Luton, Watford, your place(!), I love seeing floodlights above houses walking to a ground. There's pubs too. Surely you'd prefer to redevelop Selhurst than move to an all-purpose, shiny new ground in the middle of nowhere?

Very happy we have decided to stay at Selhurst. Love the social aspect of going to football, Meeting mates before and after in various pubs. I think it looks good, All now depends on Croydon council and their attitude towards the project.

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013

Very true. Selhurst is so awful in comparison to most stadiums, premier league standards anyway that we almost revel in it. Its a our sh1thole and we love it. Not going to protest in it being tarted up a bit though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Very happy we have decided to stay at Selhurst. Love the social aspect of going to football, Meeting mates before and after in various pubs. I think it looks good, All now depends on Croydon council and their attitude towards the project.

Very true. Selhurst is so awful in comparison to most stadiums, premier league standards anyway that we almost revel in it. Its a our sh1thole and we love it. Not going to protest in it being tarted up a bit though.

Glad to hear it. And it won't be the first ground looking a bit of a mess from the outside. There's loads of clubs from Peterborough and Orient right up to Old Trafford and Anfield.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

And Sainsburys
And the people who live in the homes that need demolishing (although I expect one of your famous arsonist gangs will take care of that)

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
And Sainsburys
And the people who live in the homes that need demolishing (although I expect one of your famous arsonist gangs will take care of that)

I'm not sure Sainsburys will have much say, I believe the only communication with them has been over a very narrow strip of land. The council are the main players, If they want to help, it will get built.

Yes some homes will need to be purchased, Just like most other stadium expansions with grounds in cities around the country.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Glad to hear it. And it won't be the first ground looking a bit of a mess from the outside. There's loads of clubs from Peterborough and Orient right up to Old Trafford and Anfield.

Anyone remember how bad Notts County was? My very first 'long distance' trip at 12 with my dad. Terracing everywhere, toilets with a wall to piss against and unedible food. Now it's all-seater with the stands built differently, decent toilet facilities and I think the pies were voted best in League One or Two recently.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not sure Sainsburys will have much say, I believe the only communication with them has been over a very narrow strip of land. The council are the main players, If they want to help, it will get built.

Yes some homes will need to be purchased, Just like most other stadium expansions with grounds in cities around the country.

Looking at it, I reckon a capacity of 34,000 is 2-3000 too much. At some point Palace, like Brighton will get relegated from the Premier League, gates will drop and then those extra seats stick out like a sore thumb. I remember chatting to a few Leicester fans a few years ago when we were in the Championship and they were saying their capacity of 35,000 was way too much for them in that league and it affected the atmosphere at games considerably.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

And, presumably, if Sainsburys and the homeowners don't comply... *taps nose*

riot.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anyone remember how bad Notts County was? My very first 'long distance' trip at 12 with my dad. Terracing everywhere, toilets with a wall to piss against and unedible food. Now it's all-seater with the stands built differently, decent toilet facilities and I think the pies were voted best in League One or Two recently.

Last time I went to Notts County, the away end was still open terrace and at the other side of the ground behind the goal was just that Soviet-style brick wall monstrosity looming over everyone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Brighton & Hove City Council were in favour of the Amex, and it still took 12 years to get permission. And Spurs applied for a CPO for that private family owned business which they needed to have out of the way before they could commence building their new stadium - the owners dug their heels in for years, till in the end, someone turned up and just torched it.

Sainsburys, the council and the homeowners to get onside then. I think 12 months is optimistic.

Why will it take 3 years and cost £100m to do ONE stand anyway ? The Amex took 2 years and cost less than that, AND we had to start completely from scratch by excavating the site and putting an entire infrastructure in place. Does Disney know what he's doing ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here