Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A new Selhurst

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
I hope so! Beggars cant be choosers I suppose. The Arthur is a relic, however nostalgic we all feel it is. We were all expecting the announcement to be the main stand only and most are more than happy with that. As has been mentioned to death before we have quite a few obstacles in our way, theres no alternative sites for a new stadium and theres lots of restrictions on Selhurst so If we get the planning application all through and approved its a massive jump forward for us. Its a little bit pretty face horrible body but meh

Many obstacles As did we with the Amex ,we had no alternatives either ,but you lot think its not fit for purpose blah blah blah in the middle of know where blah blah and 100 million for one stand lol lol lol

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013
Many obstacles As did we with the Amex ,we had no alternatives either ,but you lot think its not fit for purpose blah blah blah in the middle of know where blah blah and 100 million for one stand lol lol lol

Don’t think anyone has said it’s not fit for purpose. It’s alright. And, it IS in the middle of nowhere.

Who cares how much it costs. To a Palace fan it’s nothing but positive.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don’t think anyone has said it’s not fit for purpose. It’s alright. And, it IS in the middle of nowhere.

Who cares how much it costs. To a Palace fan it’s nothing but positive.

After Tuesday, LOADS of your mingmongs have described it as being "not fit for purpose, shouldn't have a safety certificate, completely inaccessible" blah blah.

On Saturday it took me 35 minutes to leave home 8 miles away and get the 2 trains to the stadium (got there about 1.45 and enjoyed a few pints on the concourse). Coming back I was hopping off at my local station at 5.45, so around an hour after the final whistle. Trains were a little slow coming back, but clearing a crowd of 30k+ I don't expect to be back in half an hour.

Its an utter MYTH that its problematic to get to and from. As long as the trains are behaving, its fine. I appreciate that may not be a Palace fans experience, but then your mob are a special case and have to be corralled. I don't really care about that, its not my problem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
29 Pages is for too many for this.

Think of it more in terms of a chav family from the estate have decided to 'enclose' their outside toilet.

Good for them. All they need to do now is find some money to do it. S'laters.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
After Tuesday, LOADS of your mingmongs have described it as being "not fit for purpose, shouldn't have a safety certificate, completely inaccessible" blah blah.

On Saturday it took me 35 minutes to leave home 8 miles away and get the 2 trains to the stadium (got there about 1.45 and enjoyed a few pints on the concourse). Coming back I was hopping off at my local station at 5.45, so around an hour after the final whistle. Trains were a little slow coming back, but clearing a crowd of 30k+ I don't expect to be back in half an hour.

Its an utter MYTH that its problematic to get to and from. As long as the trains are behaving, its fine. I appreciate that may not be a Palace fans experience, but then your mob are a special case and have to be corralled. I don't really care about that, its not my problem.

No idea how the many of us who live OVER THE BORDER IN LONDON (1) manage it either on a regular basis.

I was back at the normal time.

On Saturday after those cheeky Liverpool didn't do the "expected" (2) and cause more problems, I was home (3) earlier.

Notes

(1) The Surrey village of Croydon isn't in London, it's simply a lie they tell the tourists. See "London Luton Airport", "Gatwick EXPRESS", "Enjoy Madam Tussauds" etc.
(2) According to the Palace Forums.
(3) That is a lie. I jumped on the wrong train at Clapham Junction on platform 15. I ended up in Sutton and had to get a train back, arriving home a full hour later.

Last edited:

The Rock

Apr 14, 2017
Amex Capacity: 30,750

New Selhurst Capacity: 34,000

I see no one has mentioned this. The Whitehorse will also get done in the second phase when the Main stand is completed. It was designed to have 2 tiers and all is needed is to have the houses Behind the stand CPOd. God only knows what will happen to the Arthur but the main stand is not the end of the redevelopment. One step at a time.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I see no one has mentioned this. The Whitehorse will also get done in the second phase when the Main stand is completed. It was designed to have 2 tiers and all is needed is to have the houses Behind the stand CPOd. God only knows what will happen to the Arthur but the main stand is not the end of the redevelopment. One step at a time.

You neither mentioned that someone better ask Sainsburys about buying their car-park.

:lolol:

One step at a time appears to mean one stand at a time but we'll get back to you on the others.

Rebuilding the stadium ? You are building a new STAND.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

£100 million for one new stand seems excessive, practically as it looks to be a replica of the West Stand at The Amex, which cost £100 million in total just a few years ago and was built to a very, very high spec. Surely it's the AW stand that needs urgent attention, the last time I went there the view was terrible, the seats broken, the toilets a disgrace, the concourses cramped and dangerous.

Anyway, I'm glad you're staying there and redeveloping as I can't see any chance of you getting anywhere to start from scratch.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

They'll be rattling around in that [emoji38]ol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Ahh...willy waving on capacities. How predictable. Who cares ? Your ground will still look like a disjointed dogs dinner, and a least one side of it will still not be anywhere near fit for purpose. And that after blowing £100m on it !!. The very notion that it would ever even be CONSIDERED as an International venue of the future just shows how totally detached from reality Disney has become. I think he must be high on hairspray or something.

When you drop back into the Championship (be it this season or some time soon) that ground will literally be HALF EMPTY as well when your gates fall back down to their usual non-PL levels. So thats something else to look forward to.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

New stands for the Crystal Plastics
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/...pty_when_Crystal_Palace_are_playing_so_well_/

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The sooner they develop the woeful Arthur Wait stand the better.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I see no one has mentioned this.
Er, yes they have. It's been mentioned several times on this very thread. Are you blind? Crucially though, it doesn't matter to anyone here. We're fine with 30,750 thanks - it's been proven to be just about ideal for us.

What is funny is that these proposals are dreadful in just about every conceivable way: Sainsburys have not been informed, nor have the 7 sets of residents who will have to be evicted with CPOs, it only addresses one stand (at huge cost) and finally it really does look an absolute mess. The whole thing smacks of pure amateurism.

You're stuck in the 1990s with that idiot Parish running the club I'm afraid.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
True, but then Huddersfields stadium opened in 1994 and Readings in 1998. Building costs will have risen significantly since then. And without being snobby about it, I reckon the Amex has been built to a far higher spec than those two stadiums.

£100m still seems a lot for essentially 1 stand to be levelled and rebuilt, given the context of the costs for the Amex. Our entire training ground was "only" £36m, and that's next to a residential area too.

But I'm no expert.

A large cost in the construction of the Amex was digging the big hole to put it in.

[insert gag about Croydon already being a big hole here]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A large cost in the construction of the Amex was digging the big hole to put it in.

[insert gag about Croydon already being a big hole here]

Indeed. Plus putting in place the entire infrastructure, water mains, utilities etc.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Indeed. Plus putting in place the entire infrastructure, water mains, utilities etc.

Loads of stuff you don't (well I don't) think of like that. No wonder these things don't come cheap. I just don't get how the redevelopment of one stand can cost so much. There's no big hole to fill and infrastructure is already there. I think we got lucky with our teams experience to manage a project properly, on time and budget. Its a huge ask at somewhere like Falmer the project plans must have been mental. And they tell us it;s not fit for purpose cos their always ultras assault stewards and break their way in. Dont hear too many other clubs fans complaining. Smacks of Jealousy that is all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here