Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] My music documentary - THE WEDDING PRESENT : SOMETHING LEFT BEHIND

boik

Excellent. Glad you can make it along. Hope it’s worth the wait now!

It was. You should be very proud. A superb film, and I like the angle you chose, rather than just documenting how the album was made. Music is so important to a lot of us, and it's great to show it from the listeners side, whilst also adding enough from the bands side. Seriously well done. I just wish I had the money to finance "Seamonsters".

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I also finally managed to get along and was really impressed with the film. A thoroughly enjoyable insight into relationships within the band and the lyrics behind George Best. The John Peel footage inside his home was particularly interesting and your comments regarding the filming of that part. Peter Solowka came across as a really decent bloke, does he ever stop smiling? Great to see him on Saturday playing with The Ukraines along with David and Sean. I also hope you somehow manage to put together a follow up. Maybe based on that record breaking year when the Weddoes entered the charts 12 times with 12 different songs.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Any update on the availability of a digital/DVD version? Looking back on this thread, you hoped it might be early 2019...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. Yes, that was the original plan. I had no idea that cinemas would still be up for putting it on though. With no distribution behind me it's quite a hard sell (and a very long process) to get cinemas to take it. However with a bit of a track record behind it now they have been showing a bit more interest this year and there are a few more lined up. Current plan is a December physical release in time for Christmas. I'm keen to get it out there, just need to earn some pennies to cover the production costs!

boik

Hi. Yes, that was the original plan. I had no idea that cinemas would still be up for putting it on though. With no distribution behind me it's quite a hard sell (and a very long process) to get cinemas to take it. However with a bit of a track record behind it now they have been showing a bit more interest this year and there are a few more lined up. Current plan is a December physical release in time for Christmas. I'm keen to get it out there, just need to earn some pennies to cover the production costs!

I guess the dream is Netflix or SXSW, but there's so much competition. I've been recommending it to my music-loving friends, so I'll keep an eye on this thread to check its progress.

Good luck, and well done again. We loved it!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Finally got to see it this evening, excellent work, mate. Thoroughly enjoyed it, I had a few tears in the eye watching the early footage as it took me back to the 80s. Lovely stuff.

Thank you, much appreciated. I'm glad the archive stuff worked for you, I was very keen for those scenes to transport people back as effectively as possible and not just act as filler. Thanks for coming.

I also finally managed to get along and was really impressed with the film. A thoroughly enjoyable insight into relationships within the band and the lyrics behind George Best. The John Peel footage inside his home was particularly interesting and your comments regarding the filming of that part. Peter Solowka came across as a really decent bloke, does he ever stop smiling? Great to see him on Saturday playing with The Ukraines along with David and Sean. I also hope you somehow manage to put together a follow up. Maybe based on that record breaking year when the Weddoes entered the charts 12 times with 12 different songs.

Glad you enjoyed the film, thanks for coming along. It was a genuine treat to visit Peel's house... Not somewhere I ever thought I would be, that's for sure. Peter is certainly a very enthusiastic man. Strange to see him messing around and all smiles just before going on stage, whilst David was incredibly nervous backstage about his part in the Ukrainians reunion! Certainly a good weekend all round though with the film, the festival and the football result.

It was. You should be very proud. A superb film, and I like the angle you chose, rather than just documenting how the album was made. Music is so important to a lot of us, and it's great to show it from the listeners side, whilst also adding enough from the bands side. Seriously well done. I just wish I had the money to finance "Seamonsters".

Very kind words, thanks. Particularly pleased you enjoyed the story as it is. I was never keen to create a straight "making off" documentary but despite all the planning you never know if other people have connected with the album in quite the same ways to make it work. If you ever have any time to leave an IMDB review along those lines, it's very useful for independent films. I'm trying to build the page up ahead of a DVD release later in the year.

In fact, if anyone has time to leave a quick review and/or rating it would be a huge help: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9743544/?ref_=tt_rt

We'll have to see if a follow up of any sort is possible in future...

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
odd thing is ............................... "My Favourite Dress" is possibly my favourite favourite

oh

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Thanks again to everyone on here who made it to a screening of the film. I called an end to the cinema run earlier this month and the final show was at HOME cinema in Manchester.

The film shop opened online the day after Manchester and TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT is the cut-off for Christmas delivery orders. The film itself is available on DVD and Blu-ray, there is also the CD/ DVD combo concert video of the last ever performance of 'George Best', plus t-shirts, totes, posters, prints, badges etc: https://www.somethingleftbehind.com/shop

I'm looking into the best platform for a streaming/ download release in the new year, but for now here is a map showing all the cinema locations that the film made it to. It's a hard slog with no distribution deal, but I was pleased to hit 30 cinemas by the end, including the two shows in Brighton. I also travelled 21,000 miles attending director Q&A's!

SLB_MAP_Screenings_Final.jpg

Last edited:

boik

You should be very proud. It's quite an achievement.

As always I'm skint, but have ordered a poster to go with my other TWP posters.

Thanks again for the film, it was brilliant, and a great aperitif to this years "At The Edge Of The Sea".

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
You should be very proud. It's quite an achievement.

As always I'm skint, but have ordered a poster to go with my other TWP posters.

Thanks again for the film, it was brilliant, and a great aperitif to this years "At The Edge Of The Sea".

Thanks, much appreciated. Glad you got to see it on the big screen anyway.

Took another batch of orders to the post office today and catching up on the rest now. They, and any more received before midnight tonight, will go out first class tomorrow, so it should be with you very soon.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Finally bought it and just finished watching it. Great DVD! Got myself the little pin badges too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Have been waiting for the DVD release and here it is. I’ll have to make some subtle hints for my birthday in the new year.
Congratulations on the success of the film and here’s to that follow up.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Have bought the DVD for me and Mrs Peteinblack for Christmas, the Weddoes being one of our favourite bands :)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The posters and t shirts look decent too. Any chance of a discount for bulk purchases?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here