Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] My music documentary - THE WEDDING PRESENT : SOMETHING LEFT BEHIND

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I won't be able to donate until the end of next month but will do so when I can even if the campaign has ended. The Weddoes were a massive part of my late teens. As much as I loved the fey indie of The Smiths/Morrissey, dance-oriented New Order and completely out-there music of The Sugarcubes, I still needed to listen to the no-frills and taking no-prisoners sound of Gedge & Co. His voice is like no other that went before or has been since. That most of the songs are allegedly about being pissed off with ex-girlfriends adds to the magic. Just my view but I don't rate the George Best album as much as Bizarro (with the stone-cold classic Brassneck) or Seamonsters.

The other great thing about the band was that they were consistently good. I also loved listening to The Godfathers around the same time and although they had a few great songs, the songs on their albums were inconsistent in quality, something that you could never say about The Wedding Present. And unlike Mark E Smith, David Gedge loves this town. This is from an interview a few years back.

Having lived in Alfriston, in East Sussex, for seven years, Gedge and co decided to move to Hove three years ago, and is still enjoying life on the south coast. "I used to live in Leeds, then went to live in Seattle for a year and a half, then came back and was kind of like 'where should I live'? Most of the people I knew there had gone. I thought Brighton was a great place to be a musician: you are near London, near the airport, ferries and I liked Brighton. I had played here quite regularly and I knew some people here. It has a good feeling, interesting shops, the arty lifestyles, loads of music. As a northerner, you are supposed to hate it down south but, there's definitely character here”

The rerecorded 'George Best' is MAGNIFICENT.

That said, 'Seamonsters' wins by a neck.

I used to have the introduction to 'Brassneck' as my ringtone.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Tomorrow I shall celebrate by putting the reboot of George Best on at 12:45 in the pub where I work. (Hove)

Shame I won't be able to hear it from Istanbul. Watched the guys last show of the year here last night and had a bit of a celebration.

First home game missed in years though!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I won't be able to donate until the end of next month but will do so when I can even if the campaign has ended. The Weddoes were a massive part of my late teens. As much as I loved the fey indie of The Smiths/Morrissey, dance-oriented New Order and completely out-there music of The Sugarcubes, I still needed to listen to the no-frills and taking no-prisoners sound of Gedge & Co. His voice is like no other that went before or has been since. That most of the songs are allegedly about being pissed off with ex-girlfriends adds to the magic. Just my view but I don't rate the George Best album as much as Bizarro (with the stone-cold classic Brassneck) or Seamonsters.

The other great thing about the band was that they were consistently good. I also loved listening to The Godfathers around the same time and although they had a few great songs, the songs on their albums were inconsistent in quality, something that you could never say about The Wedding Present. And unlike Mark E Smith, David Gedge loves this town. This is from an interview a few years back.

Having lived in Alfriston, in East Sussex, for seven years, Gedge and co decided to move to Hove three years ago, and is still enjoying life on the south coast. "I used to live in Leeds, then went to live in Seattle for a year and a half, then came back and was kind of like 'where should I live'? Most of the people I knew there had gone. I thought Brighton was a great place to be a musician: you are near London, near the airport, ferries and I liked Brighton. I had played here quite regularly and I knew some people here. It has a good feeling, interesting shops, the arty lifestyles, loads of music. As a northerner, you are supposed to hate it down south but, there's definitely character here”

Thanks for the support. You should be able to order some of the stuff through the website as well next year.

George Best is certainly David's least favourite record! That really made it an interesting year making the doc about it and interviewing THE ex-girlfriend. It clearly resonates with so many people but is often cited as not being their favourite album. I always think Bizarro is what he wanted GB to be. Very similar in many ways but more of a progression and more sure of how to get the sound on record.

They've been ending these recent shows with Bewitched, which is just sounding amazing!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Any prospects of a screening in Brighton/Hove? Perhaps The Old Market?

Almost certainly do something locally, yes.

It's looking increasingly likely it might get a first screening out in Austin when the band play SXSW next year. It's then got a screening in Toronto late March. The rest of the year is still being worked on...

papa_stew

Sep 22, 2007
Andrew,
Great job so far. Really looking forward to this having seen the flyer at the Roundhouse earlier this year, and such a coincidence that you are a fellow Albion fan. I have pledged a photo which my daughter has taken this evening after I recovered my old Tommy t-shirt from up in the loft! Having moved back to Hassocks (I left in '77 when I was 11) I have always been intrigued with the Middleton/Bramley/Gateshead/Hassocks motif but I don't know if Shaun was around here in my day? Anyway, good luck with finishing the project and I will certainly support a "local" showing when the time comes.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Andrew,
Great job so far. Really looking forward to this having seen the flyer at the Roundhouse earlier this year, and such a coincidence that you are a fellow Albion fan. I have pledged a photo which my daughter has taken this evening after I recovered my old Tommy t-shirt from up in the loft! Having moved back to Hassocks (I left in '77 when I was 11) I have always been intrigued with the Middleton/Bramley/Gateshead/Hassocks motif but I don't know if Shaun was around here in my day? Anyway, good luck with finishing the project and I will certainly support a "local" showing when the time comes.

Thanks so much for the support. Glad to hear that the flyers on the merch stand did their job!
Shaun is originally from down here yes. Met up with David at Leeds uni and the other guys. Keith was the real (far) Northerner!

There has been an overwhelming response to the film today. I feel yet another all-nighter coming on to cover the final 12 hours of the crowdfunding campaign...

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
KINDLE_CAMERA_1514838622000.jpg

....am I too late to upgrade my pledge to Gedge?
Look who I bumped into yesterday!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
IMG_2244.JPG

He never smiles when he sees me. Never. By the way, I thought they were excellent last night in Tunbridge Wells, bloody excellent. Classic after classic with the whole Tommy album scattered throughout the set.

How do I turn the pic around? It was the right way around when I opened it on my computer.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
View attachment 93769

He never smiles when he sees me. Never. By the way, I thought they were excellent last night in Tunbridge Wells, bloody excellent. Classic after classic with the whole Tommy album scattered throughout the set.

How do I turn the pic around? It was the right way around when I opened it on my computer.

I remember the first time they played the Forum, but it wasn’t until the nineties. DId they play Felicity?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I remember the first time they played the Forum, but it wasn’t until the nineties. DId they play Felicity?
That was the one the day after they'd appeared on Ester Rantzen's daytime show as an example of the noisy music young people listen to.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
That was the one the day after they'd appeared on Ester Rantzen's daytime show as an example of the noisy music young people listen to.

It’s a shame, because I really enjoyed That’s Life when I was about nine, every single thing, including the cartoon representations of what we had just seen at the end. Loved it. But it did herald the end of the weekend.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
View attachment 93769

That's more like it... Good work!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Oh yes they did, although it's my least favourite song they do. We had to wait ages to get them at The Forum for my liking, but they've appeared about 6 times now I think and I'm sure we'll have them back again. Nick was there, haven't seen him for a while Mr Tinycowboy, Sir.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Woop Woop just this minute this has had a 'shout out' from Shaun Keaveny on 6 Music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here