Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Liverpools squad value.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Liverpool Echo estimate Liverpool's squad value at £ 513.5 million pounds. That's a sizable chunk of what the EU is expecting the UK to meet as part of it's Brexit settlement. It would certainly exceed Brighton and Hove's annual GDP as a City. ( Liverpool (as a city) can only muster £ 65.8 million annual GDP ).

45 US States have Annual GDP's that are lower than this. The US is reputedly the worlds richest nation.

When the Premier League fixture becomes BHAFC vs. The US State of Georgia ( in Financial terms at least ), has football really lost the plot, and is FFP nothing more than a smokescreen hiding deep seated systemic problems in the way football is financed, regulated and organised?

I forsee a South Sea Bubble in the not too distant future, and I trust Tony Bloom to not follow Milan Mandaric's example ( at Portsmouth ) of putting success before sustainability.

That is all.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Liverpool Echo estimate Liverpool's squad value at £ 513.5 million pounds. That's a sizable chunk of what the EU is expecting the UK to meet as part of it's Brexit settlement. .

It's about 1% isn't it?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Liverpool Echo estimate Liverpool's squad value at £ 513.5 million pounds. That's a sizable chunk of what the EU is expecting the UK to meet as part of it's Brexit settlement. It would certainly exceed Brighton and Hove's annual GDP as a City. ( Liverpool (as a city) can only muster £ 65.8 million annual GDP ).

45 US States have Annual GDP's that are lower than this. The US is reputedly the worlds richest nation.

When the Premier League fixture becomes BHAFC vs. The US State of Georgia ( in Financial terms at least ), has football really lost the plot, and is FFP nothing more than a smokescreen hiding deep seated systemic problems in the way football is financed, regulated and organised?

I forsee a South Sea Bubble in the not too distant future, and I trust Tony Bloom to not follow Milan Mandaric's example ( at Portsmouth ) of putting success before sustainability.

That is all.

Not sure where you are getting your GDP figures from but they are not even close to being correct. Are you getting your millions and billions mixed up?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

That is all.

Not sure where you got your figures from but they are completely wrong.
The state with the lowest annual GDP is Vermont with £29 billion.

Edit: Liverpool’s GDP is also £30billion +

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Man U became the first £1b squad in the world last summer. Man City's similar. Buying 22 quality players.

You can see why Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs are very unlikely to win the PL or CL for some time to come.

Leicester was the exception that proved the rule, in the season where the LFC/Citeh/ManU/Chelsea had managerial changes (and Arsenal/Spurs both blew their once in a generation chance).

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
You're right about getting millions and billions mixed up so I'll apologise for that. Even though my math might be a bit dodgy, for BHAFC to generate that amount of capital annually, we'd have to charge £ 830 per seat per game. For everyone. Utterly ludicrous. Way beyond what is sustainable in the marketplace. Would you risk telling your landlord he's not getting his rent this month because you need the loyalty points on your ticket?

Last edited:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
My math might be a bit dodgy, but for BHAFC to generate that amount of capital annually, we'd have to charge £ 830 per seat per game. For everyone. Utterly ludicrous.
And Liverpool would have to charge about £500/seat to generate £500 million from seat sales alone - also utterly ludicrous.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Under current FFP rules, sport is notionally dead, buried, and forgotten. The league becomes a stitch-up where the 'haves' asphyxiate the 'have nots'. The Premier League has seemingly become a bear pit, not a sporting competition. It's not about winning trophies, it's about amassing wealth and flaunting it.

When Liverpool have the wherewithal to buy a victorious squad of players, by throwing money at the problem, isn't the possibility of a victory against Liverpool a phyrric, hollow, and ultimately worthless piece of fools gold?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You're right about getting millions and billions mixed up so I'll apologise for that. Even though my math might be a bit dodgy, for BHAFC to generate that amount of capital annually, we'd have to charge £ 830 per seat per game. For everyone. Utterly ludicrous. Way beyond what is sustainable in the marketplace. Would you risk telling your landlord he's not getting his rent this month because you need the loyalty points on your ticket?

Gate receipts are a drop in the ocean now compared with the TV money and sponsorship.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Gate receipts are a drop in the ocean now compared with the TV money and sponsorship.

Not as big as TV but for some of the biggest clubs in Europe they are still a substantial part of revenue. Hardly drop in the ocean. And increasingly so for Liverpool as their capacity increased last season to 54,000 and is increasing again soon to 59,000.

See this via http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/chelsea-band-wore-blue-shirts.html

liverpool.png

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not as big as TV but for some of the biggest clubs in Europe they are still a substantial part of revenue. Hardly drop in the ocean. And increasingly so for Liverpool as their capacity increased last season to 54,000 and is increasing again soon to 59,000.

See this via http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/chelsea-band-wore-blue-shirts.html

View attachment 91691

Quite interesting that. Must admit I'm quite surprised the likes of Chelsea and Man U's matchday revenue is as high as 20%-odd of their turnover. I'd assume ours will be more in line with the 9% Leicester are showing, being as we get similar attendances.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Quite interesting that. Must admit I'm quite surprised the likes of Chelsea and Man U's matchday revenue is as high as 20%-odd of their turnover. I'd assume ours will be more in line with the 9% Leicester are showing, being as we get similar attendances.

I reckon the Football Tourist will go a long way to increasing revenue for the big clubs. You can imagine families that are there for a day trip going to Stamford Bridge blowing a fair old chunk of cash in the megastore - replica shirts all round plus various other tat, coming in to close to £500.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

Yes I know all that - the South Sea Bubble I am alluding to is when those TV companies cannot get the revenue from advertisers or subscribers to offer silly money to clubs. There are ways and means of watching games without paying the subscription. That is the chink in the armour, through which the business model is fatally wounded. Watch the games without paying and a gambler has more money to stake, so the TV Company has to also become a bookmaker and attempt to compete with established players.

The relationship between football and gambling has existed as long as the pools have, but in those days, interest was sustained by massive wins and small odds. Now the odds are still small, and the wins paltry. The TV company / bookmaker rakes in the money. But only so long as the punter is mug enough to use them. What is to stop them going elsewhere?

We haven't yet experienced it at the top level of English Football, but it can only be a matter of time. Rangers FC should be a strong warning bell to anybody who believe the answer lies in buying ever more expensive players. It's a pipe dream. Before they crashed and burned, the Scottish PL was a two horse race. No gambler was interested - what could they hope to win? Whilst the HMRC wielded the final hatchet over a £9m debt, Rangers were spending unsustainable amounts of money long before, and saw no reason to stop - until the shit hit the proverbial fan.

So I'll take a 1-5 defeat by Liverpool any day of the week, if it means my club is still about £ 400 m less in debt than (say) Man Utd............

Those figure are only interesting when we can see the other numbers, the operating costs, debt interest payment, assets, share price, and then wonder how on earth Man Utd get away with being an estimated £ 464 m in debt....... even on figures like the above, that debt doesn't look well secured. That money has to be repaid somehow, by someone, at somepoint, and that's when Rangers found out they didn't have a pot to piss in.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here