Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marmite Bong

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There were plenty worse than Bong yesterday and I didn't see him getting skinned by anyone. At least he went forward with a bit of purpose. I was more disappointed with Bruno who spent much of the time getting to the half way line and then turning back towards Ryan or the CB's and shrugging his shoulders

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Bizarre thread after his performance yesterday and he has been part of (up until yesterday) a very strong back 5. Outside of the ridiculously priced full backs of the top 6 I think he looks more than capable at this level

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
OP is a troll. Bong made seven defensive interceptions yesterday as many as the rest of the team put together (Liverpool attacked mainly on the right) and ran like shit to try and get back for their third goal. Clear MOM in a game where our first choice players had stinkers.
Totally agree, apart from OP being a troll. It's all subjective.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
first time new poster but having read all the player ratings giving Liverpool MOM to Mr Bong, I felt compelled to ask if I am the only person on here who thinks we are living in a parallel universe and he is completely out of his depth..

To be fair I also think yesterday's shocker was compounded by him and Brown as an untried unit being all over the place defensively,but i put bong down as being primarily at fault for at least 2 of their goals. 2nd was one, sorry still too raw to watch it again and tell you the other.

In a nutshell his positioning yesterday was awful, too often drifting into the centre and leaving the left exposed. Add to that his first touch is a random lottery and his wing/linking play nothing special, Id be picking Sutner every time and not convinced hes up to it either but thats another story.

Yes, football is all opinions and I am ready to be schooled by greater minds but all i'd say in my defence is watch the goals and near misses...if you are a left back your No1 job is to stop the threat from their right. He didnt
Great opening post for you!!! - boring and been put to death!!!!!!!!! Try again.

Sent from my Zxt 203 Dci

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Bong has come on a lot and does not make mistakes more than other player IMHO. Ran like a madman, as did Knocky. Both good assets in this squad.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Suttner had been at fault for at least a couple of the goals before Bong broke into the side at Arsenal - so anyone seeing him as some sort of Messiah by comparison is deluded, or doesn't watch very closely.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Defensively yesterday, I thought he was very good. In an attacking sense, I wasn’t so impressed. I do think a large part of that has to do with his lack of a relationship with Brown. But that isn’t his fault, it’s Hughton’s for picking yet another untried partnership down that side.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Being out of position for two goals can't really be described as 'the smallest mistakes'. He was out of position for the second goal because he was drawn to the middle and allowed Firmino a free run at the far post. For the second goal, fair play they were all caught forward. Watch the highlights as he never actually caught up with Salah who when approaching the penalty area, drifted to the centre. When he cut back on to his right, Bong dived in and missed and the ball which was slipped through to Firmino to easily tee up his second.

Going forward he loses the ball. He has pace over Suttner but that's about it, in my opinion.

Absolutely this. Didn't get back in for the second goal at all. Drifts in a lot just like Arsenals second goal too. Think he's quicker and stronger than Suttner but Suttner is a much better footballer and gets the ball to our wingers better. Can also cross a ball. I'm happier seeing him play.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
All about opinions I guess, for me Bong was ok yesterday but is still the weak link in our side and his distribution is shocking. His positional play is also questionable and I felt that was again the case yesterday.

Sutner looked far more composed against Palace and I would suspect he feels hard done by losing his place to Bong.

Amazes me how people see the game so differently, bloke behind me yesterday was giving Izzy Brown dogs abuse when I actually felt he played well.

All about opinions but for me Bong simply isn’t a Premier League left back.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Fully agree.

In addition to this, for all those talking about Bong's positional sense have missed the fact that his positional sense yesterday was mostly excellent - and several times Brown was the one caught out of position, to the point that Bong was having words with Brown.

Put it this way, very little of Liverpool's threat came from their right-hand side.

Indeed no, their threat came from every ****ing side!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I thought he was our MOM yesterday.

Is he a world beater at Premier League level? No. But then few of our players are. I’d say he’s acquitted himself pretty well and won his place back on merit. Sutner is arguably better on the ball, but has nothing like Bong’s pace and tenacity. Bong is a warrior and a key part of this team.

Hmmmm. Sorry , cannot agree with any of that

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Absolutely this. Didn't get back in for the second goal at all. Drifts in a lot just like Arsenals second goal too. Think he's quicker and stronger than Suttner but Suttner is a much better footballer and gets the ball to our wingers better. Can also cross a ball. I'm happier seeing him play.

Another who sees the game as it is. Good post

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Bong far more deserving MoM than Stephens yesterday IMHO.

Looking at the stats on whoscored.com, there was not a great deal between them. But I did notice that Jose only had 12 touches in the 69 minutes he was on the pitch. Solly had 11 in the 25 minutes he was given.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
first time new poster but having read all the player ratings giving Liverpool MOM to Mr Bong, I felt compelled to ask if I am the only person on here who thinks we are living in a parallel universe and he is completely out of his depth..

To be fair I also think yesterday's shocker was compounded by him and Brown as an untried unit being all over the place defensively,but i put bong down as being primarily at fault for at least 2 of their goals. 2nd was one, sorry still too raw to watch it again and tell you the other.

In a nutshell his positioning yesterday was awful, too often drifting into the centre and leaving the left exposed. Add to that his first touch is a random lottery and his wing/linking play nothing special, Id be picking Sutner every time and not convinced hes up to it either but thats another story.

Yes, football is all opinions and I am ready to be schooled by greater minds but all i'd say in my defence is watch the goals and near misses...if you are a left back your No1 job is to stop the threat from their right. He didnt

So you don't think that may be down to the managers tactics and his instructions given to the players in training and pre-match / half time team talks then? I didn't think he did much wrong, very little went past him and he was close to being my MOTM.

Sometimes you just have to say that the opposition were the better team on the day and there isn't a lot you could do differently that would have made much difference to the outcome. Most of their goals came from very quick counter attacks, which is their preferred tactic but relies on their taking the lead so they know the opposition will have to push forward in search of an equaliser, leaving them more space to counter with one of, possibly arguably, the best front 3 in the division if not Europe, for this sort of tactic.

He has been a big part of a defence that, until this match, was one of only 3 or 4 teams that hadn't conceded more than 2 goals in a match, and we are almost half way through the season before it did finally happen to a team that was expected to get thrashed virtually every week by the pundits pre-season.

I never get why people would try to undermine our side by turning on their own teams players. It can be fine margins in games so surely it's far better to try to help the team than try to tear it apart

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I couldn't even agree with good friends on this after the game. Two of them claimed Bong had a great game. I said he was massively out of his depth.

In hindsight the issue is how deep we play our wingers in these big games at home. Brown was a wingback in the first half & Solly has done the same this season. Bong had no idea where he should be - and neither did I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Bong far more deserving MoM than Stephens yesterday IMHO.
Exactly this also I find it strange that the OP found much to criticise for Bong who was up aganst Salah who he managed to keep to an under par game for him considering he was the best player on the pitch. Also Brown and Bong was a lot better than the other side combination of Knockaert and Bruno. Bong seems to get picked ahead of Suttner when we are up against pace on the wing and I have to hold my hands up and say Bong has played above what I expected he was capable of at this level especially against liverpool. If we were to start to point fingers I would start at Stephens but it was a difficult game where they pressed us very high up the pitch and forced a lot of mistakes.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Another who sees the game as it is. Good post

You mean agrees with you, Suttner would have been eaten alive by Salah with the pace difference. The same with Arsenal with Belerin against Arsenal. Or maybe you could consider that Chris knows what he is doing and is picking Bong against pace and Suttner when that isnt an issue.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
So you don't think that may be down to the managers tactics and his instructions given to the players in training and pre-match / half time team talks then?

Bruno also moved into the centre leaving the wing exposed on the other side as well I dont see anyone criticising him and I think he had a poor game compared to Bong.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Looking at the stats on whoscored.com, there was not a great deal between them. But I did notice that Jose only had 12 touches in the 69 minutes he was on the pitch. Solly had 11 in the 25 minutes he was given.

Sorry, but what are you going on about? Izquierdo came on at the same time as March.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The only thing I can see that Bong has in his favour over suttner is pace, but it’s mainly used to recover from a mistake. Was good to see Brown making my some decent crosses in the 2nd half, something that Bong has struggled to do all season (in both halfs !)

You're forgetting he has nice hair, because you quite clearly can't see anything else :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here