Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marmite Bong

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There you go.....your opinion is the only one that matters and anyone who disagrees should be abused ...I started the thread as genuinely curious about the views of those who disagreed with me. Please take a second to reflect how boring NSC would be if everyone always agreed.

You are the one that started moaning which sounds like picking on our best player on a bad day. It sounded to me like you are looking for a scapegoat in Bong.

Look at the video clip of Bong trying to get back to stop their third goal.

And, if you want, compare it to MOM Ashley Young getting back to try and mark Knockaert with the Dunk counter-attack in the last minutes at Old Trafford.

Not only was Bong our best player on a very bad day, but he is a good player as well and caught up with Salah (who has a reputation for being quick) with Salah having a two yard start. It was other players who were to blame. I would have definitely had Hünemeier on the bench for this game and I would have thought about starting him.

On thing I can't stand is picking on players for the smallest mistake.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I am also In the Bong better than most yesterday camp. In CH’s world the winger is supposed to help the full back out, Brown wasn’t very good at that but he did look good going forward. Give the partnership a bit of time. Knocky has added defence to his game since he came here and chases back all the time now. Probably to the detriment of his attacking game. We stand or fall as a team not as individuals. Of course Bong was caught out did you detractors actually notice how quick the three Liverpool forward players were and how good they were at moving the ball? The second goal was a sublime bit of football imo. They are the best forward line in the league imo, so don’t be so harsh on individual defenders please.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You are the one that started moaning which sounds like picking on our best player on a bad day. It sounded to me like you are looking for a scapegoat in Bong.

Look at the video clip of Bong trying to get back to stop their third goal.

And, if you want, compare it to MOM Ashley Young getting back to try and mark Knockaert with the Dunk counter-attack in the last minutes at Old Trafford.

Not only was Bong our best player on a very bad day, but he is a good player as well and caught up with Salah (who has a reputation for being quick) with Salah having a two yard start. It was other players who were to blame. I would have definitely had Hünemeier on the bench for this game and I would have thought about starting him.

On thing I can't stand is picking on players for the smallest mistake.

Being out of position for two goals can't really be described as 'the smallest mistakes'. He was out of position for the second goal because he was drawn to the middle and allowed Firmino a free run at the far post. For the second goal, fair play they were all caught forward. Watch the highlights as he never actually caught up with Salah who when approaching the penalty area, drifted to the centre. When he cut back on to his right, Bong dived in and missed and the ball which was slipped through to Firmino to easily tee up his second.

Going forward he loses the ball. He has pace over Suttner but that's about it, in my opinion.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Tuna Bong (on whole grain)

Having just got back from the kids Christmas Party, I can confirm that Bong was eating a Tuna Sandwich when he left after their 4 hour signing stint, no marmite in sight.

Top man, despite the 4 prior hours signing, he stopped for as many photos and signatures as the kids wanted, all whilst juggling a tuna sarnie.

From a football perspective, he’s currently my number one pick for the left back spot and preferably in tandem with either Izqueirdo or March for me....

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
OP is a troll. Bong made seven defensive interceptions yesterday as many as the rest of the team put together (Liverpool attacked mainly on the right) and ran like shit to try and get back for their third goal. Clear MOM in a game where our first choice players had stinkers.

Agreed. The difference in views on his performance on here reflects what I was hearing around me in the North Stand yesterday although I think that a few people who sit near me would single out Bong for abuse whatever he did.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Last season I thought he would be replaced during our summer recruitment and Suttner was a step up, however he has won the spot back and deservedly kept it. Both players are very capable of playing the left back role in the premier league. Bong's biggest fault is he gets drawn towards the ball and tries to close opponents down and pick the ball off of them, 80% of the time it makes him look great but if the opposition player moves the ball off into the space he has vacated then it often leaves a player free

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There you go.....your opinion is the only one that matters and anyone who disagrees should be abused ...I started the thread as genuinely curious about the views of those who disagreed with me. Please take a second to reflect how boring NSC would be if everyone always agreed.

I'm fully with you, the praise for Bong is extreme. He is very ordinary at every aspect of the game. I really do not know why Hughton picks him, or why people were giving him 8/10, unless they're expectations of him are so low that when he doesn't kick the ball straight out of play, he gets an 8 through sheer relief.

He's a 5/10 Premier League player at best, probably a 6 or 7 in the Championship. It's a no from me.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Being out of position for two goals can't really be described as 'the smallest mistakes'. He was out of position for the second goal because he was drawn to the middle and allowed Firmino a free run at the far post. For the second goal, fair play they were all caught forward. Watch the highlights as he never actually caught up with Salah who when approaching the penalty area, drifted to the centre. When he cut back on to his right, Bong dived in and missed and the ball which was slipped through to Firmino to easily tee up his second.

Going forward he loses the ball. He has pace over Suttner but that's about it, in my opinion.

Third goal was interesting as it was directly comparable to Dunk's run near the end at Old Trafford.

Bong (because he ran back) was goal side of Salah but decided to dive in instead of marking Firminio (Ashley Young marked Knockaert). Man United were able to get an extra defender back, but they were holding on to a lead instead of chasing to pull a goal back. (The same thing happened against Man City.) Calculated risk pushing forward when losing, unforgivable if holding on to a lead.

Playing four at the back was a calculated risk as well. it didn't work out but I think it was the best choice. Not keen on the late substitutions.

I don't like Suttner because he dives into tackles and misses.

Bong may have been able to do better for the second goal? Even if Suttner was clued up, I don't think he has the physical speed to get back.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last season I thought he would be replaced during our summer recruitment and Suttner was a step up, however he has won the spot back and deservedly kept it. Both players are very capable of playing the left back role in the premier league. Bong's biggest fault is he gets drawn towards the ball and tries to close opponents down and pick the ball off of them, 80% of the time it makes him look great but if the opposition player moves the ball off into the space he has vacated then it often leaves a player free

Post duplicated by error, a mistake. Easily done.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Fair comment. We do not see this so clearly in the East Lower F. Bruno does not have this problem.

Stats say Bong actually pinched the ball of Liverpool attackers with interceptions seven times more than the rest of the defence put together. As you said, it makes him look good.

At the start (first thoughts) I thought Bong must have been at fault for the third killer goal, but the video showed he did as best as could be expected. Naturally Bong was drawn towards Salah with the ball instead of Firmino running into space.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I thought he was our MOM yesterday.

Is he a world beater at Premier League level? No. But then few of our players are. I’d say he’s acquitted himself pretty well and won his place back on merit. Sutner is arguably better on the ball, but has nothing like Bong’s pace and tenacity. Bong is a warrior and a key part of this team.
This

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I thought he was our MOM yesterday.

Is he a world beater at Premier League level? No. But then few of our players are. I’d say he’s acquitted himself pretty well and won his place back on merit. Sutner is arguably better on the ball, but has nothing like Bong’s pace and tenacity. Bong is a warrior and a key part of this team.
This.

People clearly watching another game and it's the usual dull witch hunt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Salah spent the game running at Bong.
Salah was subbed off without a goal and not too many touches.

What more do you people want?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
MotM for me yesterday, for sure.

We all have our player blind spots though. Mine is undoubtedly Dale Stephens. All I notice from is that he doesn't give the ball aw....oh - he's given the ball away. Again.

Bong does seem to be THE current Marmite player though, for sure. Every club has one.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Salah spent the game running at Bong.
Salah was subbed off without a goal and not too many touches.

What more do you people want?

Is that a serious comment or just tongue in cheek? I'll bite anyway. Salah had a big hand in the second and third goals. Subbed off when the result was clear on 80 minutes almost certainly with one eye on the Champions League match in midweek.

Do you really think he was subbed off because Bong had him in his pocket!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
OP is a troll. Bong made seven defensive interceptions yesterday as many as the rest of the team put together (Liverpool attacked mainly on the right) and ran like shit to try and get back for their third goal. Clear MOM in a game where our first choice players had stinkers.

NSC in a nutshell.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I would love to see the stats of Bong's ball distribution.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
The difference between Bong and Suttner is mainly pace. I actually like both and didn’t think Bong would cut it in the Premier League but he has surprised me and I think it suits him. Whilst he may struggle against top 6 sides (like most players) I think he’s fine against the other 12 teams for now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here