Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where are you on the 'perspective' scale?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Losing at Huddersfield would cause me a bigger meltdown than yesterday's loss - which doesn't really bother me at all.

It would also be nice - at some point - not to totally miss a 'free hit' and get a point or 3.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
The position is still positive, but we will need another win before Xmas to stay that way, a defeat at Huddersfield will put us to about level in my thinking.

We MUST buy a striker in January to endeavour to stay up, it was so hard to get out of The Championship, and I'm not sure we could do so again just like that?

We cannot afford to lose PL status and momentum at the first hurdle.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Particularly when we have had a disappointing defeat in the past few years, really since we became regular play-off challengers and now a Premier League side, there seems a genuine split in the fans on here.

Some cannot forget that we have been 92nd in the Football League only 20 years ago, are loving where we are now and the football we have seen, and temper criticism of team, manager and board accordingly.

And some think it is all too easy to trot that out, and that now we are an ambitious PL club the past is just that and should have no bearing for fans on what is happening now for ambitions and expectations.

If I had to choose right now, I'd be in the former camp. But a couple of years in the PL and being established might see that shift. The two aren't entirely mutually exclusive of course.

They're not exclusive, but I'm probably mid-way between the two. As my Albion memories go back to 1966 certainly I love where we are now, I think it's easily our greatest-ever era and that 1-5 defeat hasn't changed that one iota. However one thing I'm adamant about is that we cannot use Hereford and 1997 as the point of reference for absolutely everything. I HATE those "Let's get some perspective" style of threads that sometimes appear after a defeat where the OP bangs on about Archer,Stanley, Priestfield etc like some doddery old Grandad going on about rationing and WW2.

We've got fans now who weren't even born during the 'war years', and some like my neighbour's two boys, STHs, who never even went to Withdean. (That's because they were too young btw, not because they were following Man U on telly or whatever). The club has changed and the yardstick by which we measure ourselves has changed too.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
They're not exclusive, but I'm probably mid-way between the two. As my Albion memories go back to 1966 certainly I love where we are now, I think it's easily our greatest-ever era and that 1-5 defeat hasn't changed that one iota. However one thing I'm adamant about is that we cannot use Hereford and 1997 as the point of reference for absolutely everything. I HATE those "Let's get some perspective" style of threads that sometimes appear after a defeat where the OP bangs on about Archer,Stanley, Priestfield etc like some doddery old Grandad going on about rationing and WW2.

We've got fans now who weren't even born during the 'war years', and some like my neighbour's two boys, STHs, who never even went to Withdean. (That's because they were too young btw, not because they were following Man U on telly or whatever). The club has changed and the yardstick by which we measure ourselves has changed too.

That sounds like you have a lot of perspective.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The reason we got beaten 5-1 is that the team now have the confidence to compete against a top 6 team.
We didn't park the bus, we looked to get something out of the game. On another day we would have done.

Murray will be disappointed not to have had a hat-trick.

One thing I will say though. Is that teams are starting to work us out.
This is understandable and Hughton is going to have to have some plans to counter it.

Izzy Brown and Sam Baldock may have a bigger part to play in this season yet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The reason we got beaten 5-1 is that the team now have the confidence to compete against a top 6 team.
We didn't park the bus, we looked to get something out of the game. On another day we would have done.

Murray will be disappointed not to have had a hat-trick.

One thing I will say though. Is that teams are starting to work us out.
This is understandable and Hughton is going to have to have some plans to counter it.

Izzy Brown and Sam Baldock may have a bigger part to play in this season yet.

It's funny how different people see the same game differently. I thought we were far too deep in the first half. Often playing 6-3-1 with Gross too deep and Brown all over the shop. Liverpool could afford to play 3 at the back knowing that Murray, pace not being his greatest asset, was our only threat. We were much more positive in the second half and it so nearly paid dividends. Had Murray stuck away that sitter for 1-2 it was a different game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Plenty of perespective from me. Anyone throwing their toys out after this game needs to have along hard look at themsleves.

The goal for this season was to finish 17th and survive a tough first year in the EPL, we are still on course for that. Despite our limitations up front we have thus far amassed nearly half the points we need to achieve that goal. I will admit to feeling frustrated by the margin of Liverpool's victory but not by the defeat overall. After conceding a poor first goal, we then got suckered by a breathtaking counter attack (lesson 1 CONCENTRATE AT ALL TIMES!), then just after our best chance of the game get hit on the counter again, by a team that is ruthless enough to take advantage.

Quite simply the better team won, we willl be disappointed to have conceded five, but let's face it, this type of scoreline is hardly uncommon this season.

There are positives to take out of this game, finally getting to see Izzy Brown start to resemble the player we saw at Hudds last season being one.

This game perfectly exposed the weaknesses that this team still has and I trust Hughton and his staff to start dishing out the lessons fairly sharpish. We have to learn and move on from this game and be focused on the 20-23 points we still need. Getting more help up front in January is essential, but I do not think I am telling the club anyhting they do not know there.

Onwards and upwards, roll on Hudds and let's get the point collecting back on track.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
At the halfway point :

17 - 20 points : we could be in trouble

21 - 23 : possibly good enough

24 - 28 : dreamland

29 : double dreamland

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
At the halfway point :

17 - 20 points : we could be in trouble

21 - 23 : possibly good enough

24 - 28 : dreamland

29 : double dreamland

At the halfway point we will have played Watford twice and not played Chelsea.
So I would slightly amend that to say 17 - 22 points we could be in trouble.

But otherwise I agree with what you're saying.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Far more disappointed with the lacklustre performance in the 0-0 with Palace (and not because of the rivalry) than in a 5-1 home defeat to Liverpool. Not sure what that means about my perspective, but that's where I'm at.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
We'll be OK. Just.

The fixtures couldn't have worked out any harder last week. One point from nine was disappointing and the manner of the Liverpool defeat hurt, but I think there's some very winnable games coming up before Christmas although that kind of puts pressure on us because 'udds, Burnley and Watford will be thinking exactly the same as they all seem to be playing each other.

I'm still going with a finishing position of 15th with safety secured in April. And a nice FA Cup run, provided we don't get involved in replays. :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Despite doing fantastically well defensively so far this season, we were always destined to get a hiding at some point this season(and I don't think this will be the only one-Man City away??). Liverpool counter attacked so quickly and our defenders weren't prepared for that.. CH and the players will watch the game back and hopefully learn from it. It's what we do against the bottom 12 teams that will define our season

CH certainly gave enough warnings about it in his pre-match stuff, so they should have been!

But a lot of it is recency bias. The last match is always the season-defining one. A week ago we were a fantastic team, well deserving of our place in the top half because we'd come so close to nicking a point at Old Trafford and Gross was the zen master of the slo-mo Cruyff turn. Today we're a naive bunch of newbies overwhelmed by a team whose quality we could never hope to match and Gross is jaded and needs a rest. Get a result at Huddersfield and all will be well again until the next defeat.

One thing, though - a few people suggest that we just need to hang on until January, when we can strengthen. The trouble is that everyone else will be trying to do the same, and guess what? They'll be going after strikers too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As fantastic as Liverpool were with the ball, we had chances to make that a different game. Score at 0-0, 2-0 and even 3-1 and it becomes a different game, particularly if we'd taken the lead.

For half an hour we were disciplined and compact and Liverpool weren't able to do a great deal. To concede from such a straight forward set piece is undoubtedly disappointing, to then lose our focus allowing the quick-fire second more so.

But, it was one of our "free hits", although the one where we possibly stood the best chance of getting something. It won't be losing Liverpool that defines how our season pans out. Drawing four at home on the bounce against sides that were all out of touch to some degree may be what we look back to and think "if only...".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As fantastic as Liverpool were with the ball, we had chances to make that a different game. Score at 0-0, 2-0 and even 3-1 and it becomes a different game, particularly if we'd taken the lead.

For half an hour we were disciplined and compact and Liverpool weren't able to do a great deal. To concede from such a straight forward set piece is undoubtedly disappointing, to then lose our focus allowing the quick-fire second more so.

But, it was one of our "free hits", although the one where we possibly stood the best chance of getting something. It won't be losing Liverpool that defines how our season pans out. Drawing four at home on the bounce against sides that were all out of touch to some degree may be what we look back to and think "if only...".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here