Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where are you on the 'perspective' scale?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Looking round the ground at full time it looked like West Ham, more than half empty and my heart sank but the north and nw were both still mostly full and gave the players proper acclaim. It's got to happen that if we stay up fans expectations are going to increase but as long as the north stand can keep the faith the club wont descend to apathetic hell.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
17 points is still a decent haul, if we've got 20 while I'm tucking into my Xmas lunch, I'll be happy.

Agree Bold. Well put. And that's a very real prospect. In fact, there's no reason why we might not have more than 20 points.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
From a single game perspective, it muddles me that people waiver when it comes to giving the other side credit. Crikey, did you see Coutinho and Salah yesterday? Thats if it was ever possible to see their impossible quick feet!

Wider perspective? Still in their fighting with a single issue transfer window coming up...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Looking round the ground at full time it looked like West Ham, more than half empty and my heart sank but the north and nw were both still mostly full and gave the players proper acclaim. It's got to happen that if we stay up fans expectations are going to increase but as long as the north stand can keep the faith the club wont descend to apathetic hell.

If ever there was a game NOT to have a pop at people leaving early it was this one. When that free kick went in both fans and players heads dropped. It was no longer possible to earn a respectable 3-2 or even 3-1, and we most certainly weren't going to get the already extremely unlikely point that, on chances created, might have been argued as deserved.

I actually thought the stadium looked absolutely rammed until that moment. You cannot possibly compare it to the utterly embarassing olympic stadium which emptied at the 60min mark. I also disagree about the North Stand, it looked as empty if not emptier than the East when the final whistle blew. The back few rows all along and clusters towards the police box end are the same pockets I see most weeks and credit to them, but half the stand are not living up the the name in noise and dedication.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I've already mentioned in another post back in October, That we won't get ANYTHING in December, Apart from scumbags from south London.
So I'm pretty alright about things, When December is over and we are sitting in the bottom six, Then I can start looking at where the next points are coming from.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was an odd feeling yesterday, getting thumped 1-5 at home, and not being particularly pissed off about it. Don't know what that says about my perspective, but there you go :shrug:

I wasn't pissed off because until 4&5 I thought we were always in the game, and played some bloody good football, hence being surprised about getting Hereforded today.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Particularly when we have had a disappointing defeat in the past few years, really since we became regular play-off challengers and now a Premier League side, there seems a genuine split in the fans on here.

Some cannot forget that we have been 92nd in the Football League only 20 years ago, are loving where we are now and the football we have seen, and temper criticism of team, manager and board accordingly.

And some think it is all too easy to trot that out, and that now we are an ambitious PL club the past is just that and should have no bearing for fans on what is happening now for ambitions and expectations.

If I had to choose right now, I'd be in the former camp. But a couple of years in the PL and being established might see that shift. The two aren't entirely mutually exclusive of course.

I'm in the 'former' group.

Spending beyond our means is a very dodgy gamble (would you want to spend £30m for 'Benteke 2'?) and would be a fast track back to The Championship or even League One if we make one or two dud purchases which upset the team spirit. Plenty of clubs have trodden that path before us and shown us how not to do it.

We've been in the Premier League for 4 months (Four Months). We are no bigger than virtually every other club in the division (obvious exceptions being Bournemouth and Palace) and we have no God given right to beat anyone yet.

I don't think there is any doubt that another quality striker would help us go the distance and finish the right side of the relegation zone by May, but to be honest even if we stay up, the next 2-3 seasons will be no cake walk either.

At Priestfield there were numpties calling for Knight to spend our way out of trouble (presumably by cashing in our stockpile of Nectar points, which was about all we had in the bank at he time) and their spiritual successors will be the ones calling for us to buy Suarez, Messi or Salah in January.

I'll be very happy with Bloom and Hughton continuing to take a careful and well considered acquisition of non-superstars with a great work ethic and enough class to improve us steadily.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
We've got a good base to build from, but we've got a long way to go. We've just got to keep plugging away and get as many wins as we can.

I think we'll stay up.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Agree Bold. Well put. And that's a very real prospect. In fact, there's no reason why we might not have more than 20 points.

Absolutely - I said at the start of the season 20 points would be a good target by Xmas and looks like we are going to reach it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Been on the Albion rollercoaster since early eighties. Just wish we could score more goals, we sort of all know we can’t score going into games and in that respect our midfield really do need to up their game. A shot by stephens or Propper would be a start - when’s the next comet due though?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Everyone is entitled to constructive criticism, even if we win but notice a glaring loophole in our game plan. Yesterday certainly deserved criticism for certain players, it is the trolling and constant mongers of doom I object to. There are plenty of very sensible posts regarding our disappointment in the goals missed yesterday. And I've just seen Charlie Austin bang in yet another for Southampton. What we wouldn't do for a player like that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From a single game perspective, it muddles me that people waiver when it comes to giving the other side credit. Crikey, did you see Coutinho and Salah yesterday? Thats if it was ever possible to see their impossible quick feet!

Wider perspective? Still in their fighting with a single issue transfer window coming up...

I agree. I found it harder watching us get trounced 7-1 by Huddersfield with a 5 hour journey home at ten o'clock at night.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sitting in my local pub, watching (glancing) at Bournemouth v Southampton, watching what looks like a league 1 game from the camera angle etc. - then I get things into perspective!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Been on the Albion rollercoaster since early eighties. Just wish we could score more goals, we sort of all know we can’t score going into games and in that respect our midfield really do need to up their game. A shot by stephens or Propper would be a start - when’s the next comet due though?
I'm guessing, as you are on a rollercoaster, you had your eyes shut whilst these happened in the last 2 games?

Attempt missed. Dale Stephens (Brighton and Hove Albion) left footed shot from outside the box is high and wide to the left.

Attempt missed. Dale Stephens (Brighton and Hove Albion) right footed shot from outside the box is close, but misses to the left. Assisted by Anthony Knockaert.

Attempt missed. Dale Stephens (Brighton and Hove Albion) left footed shot from the centre of the box misses to the right following a set piece situation.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm guessing, as you are on a rollercoaster, you had your eyes shut whilst these happened in the last 2 games?

Attempt missed. Dale Stephens (Brighton and Hove Albion) left footed shot from outside the box is high and wide to the left.

Attempt missed. Dale Stephens (Brighton and Hove Albion) right footed shot from outside the box is close, but misses to the left. Assisted by Anthony Knockaert.

Attempt missed. Dale Stephens (Brighton and Hove Albion) left footed shot from the centre of the box misses to the right following a set piece situation.
I'm guessing you don't like Dale Stephens...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We were always going to take a pasting at some point, and that's happened against one of the league's most potent attacks.

Yesterday was a game of what might have been. Had we not been punch drunk after the first goal, what might have been? Had Glenn scored at 2-0 down, what might have been?

Despite losing 5-1, there were positives. We looked good in the first part of the second half - great to see Brown getting forward.

We lost. Move on. We have enough to stay in this league. And, if we can strengthen in January, that will be good news. It's still going to be a tough ask to stay up, but we can do it.

We've come a long way, and this is a long game situation. Football doesn't end after this season.

This.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I noticed them. With each of those attempts, two of which were quite pathetic (the one that was close I think Hennessey had covered), I wistfully remember him scoring a couple of quite sublime screamers from similar range and wondered where that Dale Stephens was.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I noticed them. With each of those attempts, two of which were quite pathetic (the one that was close I think Hennessey had covered), I wistfully remember him scoring a couple of quite sublime screamers from similar range and wondered where that Dale Stephens was.
Yep. Still shots though which was my only point.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here