Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton too defensive

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Usually we are much more defensive than yesterday. Our team work together and drop back quickly to help out, I never expected us to push for a win but did expect us to keep it tight in midfield and make it difficult for Liverpool to push forward just like we did against Man Utd. For some reason we were not defensive enough against a very clinical side.

I'm delighted to have CH

Really, more defensive than sticking all 11 men behind the ball for the whole 1st half??

Had we been a little more attack minded yesterday from the off, Liv would have had double figures IMO. Correct tactics for quality oppo imo.

Geoffish

Aug 2, 2014
Did you even watch the game? We were at our most vulnerable the few times we attacked. Trying to attack them would have resulted in even more of a hiding.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I seem to remember both Norwich & Newcastle fans criticising Hughton for being too defensive and this played a large part in his departure from both clubs.

I can't help but think that in that first half today we should have been more offensive. He seems to leave any substitutions until it is too late, and quite often the players look they have been instructed to pass it sideways or backwards rather than try and create something but risk loosing possession.

I wonder if long term we might need to find a manager who is willing to 'go for it' a bit more often than CH seems to?
I am sorry, does anyone in the UK use the expression "offensive" when they really mean attacking???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Generally I think that CH is naturally defensive working on the principal that if you do not concede a goal you at least get a point. He tends to set us up to avoid defeat which he has to do with our squad I think. I must agree about substitutes as I believe that his use of substitutes is usually very poor and cannot think of one that has had positive results this season. As a team we generally look weaker after the substitutions and have to hang on but that is not a reason to change the manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here