Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton too defensive

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just seen the MOTD highlights.

First goal was just terrible.

Second goal reminded me of the chances Bruno made against Man U but nobody on the end of it.

Third goal and notice that Ashley Young ran like shit for Man U to save the goal from the Dunk breakaway (to mark Knockaert), but Bong was nowhere to be seen for us.

Fourth was like Kazenga Lualua's at Anfield (if my memory serves me right).

Two of Murray's chances fell on his left foot and the best one was a bit unfortunate.

Was its credited as a Dunk OG? Looked like it.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We defended based on the ratio of giving the ball away which we did a lot.. I would drop Stephens and put Goss into his midfield role, put Brown in behind Murray and Jose on the left.

They had ball intercepted as much as we did. The difference was that they did it nine times to us in our own half with Firmini being responsible three times. This is not one of Murray's prime skills.

Bong was our leading defensive interceptor (with 7) as Liverpool concentrated their attacks down the right side.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1190323/Live/England-Premier-League-2017-2018-Brighton-Liverpool

Liverpool lost possession more than we did (true of all teams this season) but they had more possession (57.2%) to lose it from.

What seemed to be the case of the top 6 club's players is that actually worked harder than we did.

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I seem to remember both Norwich & Newcastle fans criticising Hughton for being too defensive and this played a large part in his departure from both clubs.

I can't help but think that in that first half today we should have been more offensive. He seems to leave any substitutions until it is too late, and quite often the players look they have been instructed to pass it sideways or backwards rather than try and create something but risk loosing possession.

I wonder if long term we might need to find a manager who is willing to 'go for it' a bit more often than CH seems to?

everybody is entitled to there opinion, so i dont want to be horrible to you, but i disagree. i thought we were ok today. theres no way we deserved to lose 5-1. Murray could jave scored 4 today. Thats the prem when it comes to the big boys. they puinshed our mistakes and deserved 3 points but not 5-1. To suggest CH isnt up to it after today makes me think you are not a fan of his and have been waiting for the opportunity to slag him off. I was proud of how we played today against one of the top teams in the world. we deserved more.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think you are a tad early with this thread. Why don't we wait for a few year when we have spent a serious amount of cash on some upper premier league quality players and see what kind of football we are playing then.

Horses for courses.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If we had gone for it today we would have shipped 10 goals - playing the way we did we had three very good chances plus a penalty - Murray should have scored a hat trick, maybe 4 today

It's a sporting competition and we should always go for it.
Really don't get this idea of parking the bus and losing by a smaller margin, utter bullcrap.
I would rather put in a feisty performance and lose 10 nil, all or nothing.
Don't care if I get slated, but I would rather see a contest than just a team making up the numbers.
All this fawning over the opposition should be banned, utter bollocks, we have lost before we even kick the ball.
Our players shouldn't feel like they are in other players shadows, they have to consider themselves as equals and get stuck in.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's a sporting competition and we should always go for it.
Really don't get this idea of parking the bus and losing by a smaller margin, utter bullcrap.
I would rather put in a feisty performance and lose 10 nil, all or nothing.
Don't care if I get slated, but I would rather see a contest than just a team making up the numbers.
All this fawning over the opposition should be banned, utter bollocks, we have lost before we even kick the ball.
Our players shouldn't feel like they are in other players shadows, they have to consider themselves as equals and get stuck in.

I don't think this is the idea at all, Start off playing a bit deep against speedy teams or else we might concede a goal early. Top six are better passers of the ball so chasing shadows (pressing game) does not work so well.

I think selective pressing, especially in the second half might be the best policy to use our energies. I do not favour chasing opponents around like blue-arsed flies.

Strike force can be held in reserve to come on at 66 minutes, or with at least enough time left to influence the game.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Usually we are much more defensive than yesterday. Our team work together and drop back quickly to help out, I never expected us to push for a win but did expect us to keep it tight in midfield and make it difficult for Liverpool to push forward just like we did against Man Utd. For some reason we were not defensive enough against a very clinical side.

I'm delighted to have CH

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bumped into a Liverpool fan I know in the WSU (yeah, I know) after the game, and all he said was "Why did you back off in the first half? We had midfield players in defence!"

I suspect their second and third goals illustrated why Hughton wanted them backed off and compact.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yes go for it from the start and with the pace and quality Liverpool have in their side they propably would have had 7 by half time. Yes we may have scored 2 but not a great way to win a game.

Some people are just clueless

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I seem to remember both Norwich & Newcastle fans criticising Hughton for being too defensive and this played a large part in his departure from both clubs.

I can't help but think that in that first half today we should have been more offensive. He seems to leave any substitutions until it is too late, and quite often the players look they have been instructed to pass it sideways or backwards rather than try and create something but risk loosing possession.

I wonder if long term we might need to find a manager who is willing to 'go for it' a bit more often than CH seems to?

Really ...I don't recall that at all....most Newcastle fans as i recall it thought he had a raw deal from the owner

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
They had ball intercepted as much as we did. The difference was that they did it nine times to us in our own half with Firmini being responsible three times. This is not one of Murray's prime skills.

Bong was our leading defensive interceptor (with 7) as Liverpool concentrated their attacks down the right side.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1190323/Live/England-Premier-League-2017-2018-Brighton-Liverpool

Liverpool lost possession more than we did (true of all teams this season) but they had more possession (57.2%) to lose it from.

What seemed to be the case of the top 6 club's players is that actually worked harder than we did.

Yes they did work a lot harder than anyone else we have played this season. Whenever Knockeart got the ball he had 3 or 4 Liverpool players around him.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have been pleasantly surprised by Hughton's substitutions this season. They've seemed a lot more positive than in previous seasons. Generally speaking he's been replacing like-for-like and often bringing on fresh attacking threat - whereas last year it always seemed as though he was bringing on defenders or defensive midfielders to protect what we had. I don't think he's been defensive minded, more that there is more defending to do.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here