Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton players getting autographs from Liverpool ones...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What do people do with autographs? I haven't got any, don't want any but generally interested what people do with them.
Do they look at them periodically or do the sit in cupboards/boxes never to see the light of day again? Did it start as an early primeval Facebook, 'look at how many signatures/friends I've got’?

Signed shirts get framed and hung on the wall, like my red and black signed Bobby Zamora shirt.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
What do people do with autographs? I haven't got any, don't want any but generally interested what people do with them.
Do they look at them periodically or do the sit in cupboards/boxes never to see the light of day again? Did it start as an early primeval Facebook, 'look at how many signatures/friends I've got’?

Well, some people lob them in a box, some people frame them, some are in books and some have them in albums. The last one I got was Eric Cantona's some years ago, although I don't collect them any more. It was good to meet him and his autograph is a nice memento - it was pre the 'selfie age'. My collection goes back to the 60s - so Bobby Moore, Peters, old Albion Players etc etc are in albums that I can show my grandchildren who real footballers were before they became the pampered pooches of today.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm sure the victorious Wimbledon team of the '88 cup final weren't interested in getting opposition autographs. I don't want to slag the players off at all as I have so much admiration for them, but it is a bit embarrassing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Before seeking the autograph did you have 28 thousand people following you and thousands back home, all of them totally and utterly caught up on you and your organisation being the best and not having much time for hers as she lit your research on fire then pulled out an AK-47 and peppered your apes with lead?

In all seriousness, it's not really comparable is it.
I think from the players perspective it is the same, we all have people we admire in our field, footballers are no different. The idea they would try less hard is daft, I want to impress my idols!

But yes in football there are fans who are passionate, so the players should be sensible and do it after the game somewhere private like the players tunnel. Which they did.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Signed shirts get framed and hung on the wall, like my red and black signed Bobby Zamora shirt.

Which is fine, because you're a FAN.

I've got a Brighton away shirt circa 2010 signed by Adam El Abd framed and hanging in my hallway. I can tell you now, it wasn't bought off Adam Lallana.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Cultural context? Both Arabic speaking players. Salah currently one of the most famous Arab players in the world. It's also a private moment and we don't know the situation. They may know each other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which is fine, because you're a FAN.

I've got a Brighton away shirt circa 2010 signed by Adam El Abd framed and hanging in my hallway. I can tell you now, it wasn't bought off Adam Lallana.

As I said previously, how do we know it isn't a shirt for a charity prize?

theboybilly

Do you think Brian Clough would have allowed his players to get autographs from the opposition? Alex Ferguson? No chance.

I don't know about Brian Clough but I know Ferguson has collected autographs on a shirt to be auctioned at a later date. If not he has sent a player into the opposing dressing room to do it. It is well documented on how much charity work Sir Alex does behind the scenes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here