Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Very interesting to watch

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just to open up the debate, would you prefer to stay in this division fighting for survival every year with no real chance of winning anything or to be fighting for promotion in the championship?

It's not even a debate. Stay up, stay up, stay up. I don't know how much money TB has got, or how much he's willing to spend on what is effectively his multi-million pound season ticket, but losing £30M a year is just not sustainable in any walk of life.
A few years ago, being a bounce club was quite an attractive proposition, but now the money involved is so huge and the competition in the Championship so fierce that I don't believe it is a valid option any more. Stay up - and have a serious punt at one of the cups as a way into Europe.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't think liverpool are awful. They are probably the side I have feared the most with their high press but are also the side we should have feared the least from corners/set pieces at home this season. We undid half an hour of good work by conceding direct from a corner. It appears I wasn't the only one to understand the significance of this, as our manager was apoplectically raging on the touchline.
Everyone's favorite pundit Paul Merson was doing our game on Soccer Saturday. In the first half an hour he only mentioned us having a decent chance and us being "very comfortable" with Liverpool having loads of the ball but doing nothing with it and not looking like scoring.

It's completely understandable that CH would be absolutely fuming when his game plan was working perfectly, only for the whole thing to be undone by poor marking from a corner.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Everyone's favorite pundit Paul Merson was doing our game on Soccer Saturday. In the first half an hour he only mentioned us having a decent chance and us being "very comfortable" with Liverpool having loads of the ball but doing nothing with it and not looking like scoring.

It's completely understandable that CH would be absolutely fuming when his game plan was working perfectly, only for the whole thing to be undone by poor marking from a corner.

The most animated I have ever seen him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Merson always slags off Liverpool and certain other clubs, following stereotypes about teams and bottling any comments about league leaders in case of egg on fat face. He offers no insight, just the spitting fool on the panel.

Hard to shut out Liverpool no matter how organised. They score goals for fun, including headed goals.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not even a debate. Stay up, stay up, stay up. I don't know how much money TB has got, or how much he's willing to spend on what is effectively his multi-million pound season ticket, but losing £30M a year is just not sustainable in any walk of life.
A few years ago, being a bounce club was quite an attractive proposition, but now the money involved is so huge and the competition in the Championship so fierce that I don't believe it is a valid option any more. Stay up - and have a serious punt at one of the cups as a way into Europe.

Agreed.

It's only one bad result anyway. With Hudd, we were everyones favourites to go down. Hughton and the players have been way above all expectations so far.

Lessons will be learnt.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
must admit I have not been impressed with Stephens in most games so far I think he ponders on the ball to much and too many stray passes which get punished ruthlessly in this league
This sort of complete bollocks deserves it's own thread ...

While you're at it can you start one on Gaetan Bong too as the criticism of him is a bit buried at the moment...

[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think liverpool are awful. They are probably the side I have feared the most with their high press but are also the side we should have feared the least from corners/set pieces at home this season. We undid half an hour of good work by conceding direct from a corner. It appears I wasn't the only one to understand the significance of this, as our manager was apoplectically raging on the touchline.

Most animated I’ve seen him this season, he was seriously pissed off!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If we went down, the aspiration would always be to go back up again.

Stay in the Premier League and have some domestic cup success.

Hmmm - big fan of Chris H but Liverpool’s Achilles heel is their defence under pressure but we sat back too much and just let their flair decide the match.

Murray had just one of those days, not convinced Mignolet knew much about that second half save.

Gross had a bad game today and should have been swapped for Brown with Jose on much earlier. And wasted a chance to reintroduce Kayal as our passing was shocking as it was against Palace.

Fair play for Chris to criticise his players - the first goal was a shocker against a team of midgets. But he has to hold up his hands and recognise he had a bad day at the office too

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I wouldn’t go reading too much into a hiding from one of the in form teams in Europe! Their counter attacking is nothing short of devistating at the moment! We’ve just come up from the champ and are doing very well, what I think we have learned as supporters is we need back up come Jan but I’d imagine Chris and his team new this long ago!

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I didn't think Liverpool played particularly well, however managed to score 5 and to be honest if they had been on song it could have been a cricket score. The had a fabulous group of subs to come in too...

I have changed my mind about better players...cutinho was the best player I have seen at the Amex. He was incredible today and you can see why Liverpool want to hold on to him and why Barca offered somewhere around 120million. Absolute class player.

We had our chances and with a bit of much may have scored a couple, BUT we mustn't be lured into fans pretences...they were a different league to us today. On the busses today a couple were suggesting that we looked the better side and should have won. We really were not!

Just to open up the debate, would you prefer to stay in this division fighting for survival every year with no real chance of winning anything or to be fighting for promotion in the championship? We also had this discussion on the bus.

I've got an idea, stay on your bus, because it appears you talk a good game !!

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
We were outplayed and outclassed by a very good team who never really got into fourth gear. We sat back far too much in the first half when we should have taken the game to them. We could hardly get the ball in the first half and when we did, we just hoofed it back to them or passed it straight to them. When we did attack, I thought we often took the wrong option. That said, it could have been 5-7. If only Murray could have converted those chances - how at least one did not go in.......... I got the feeling that whatever happened he was never going to score in open play today. Izzy looked good and Schellotto made a sublime tackle on Coutinho.

Onwards and upwards, 3 points at Huddersfield please.

theboybilly

Whoever thought we were the better side knows nothing about football. They barely got out of first gear, they thumped us 5-1 playing a formation they’ve not played before with two CMs at CB, and they looked like they could score almost at every moment. The difference in class was immeasurable really.

As to your question, I’d like to stay up initially but longer term I think clubs need to have something to hope for and challenge for. So my answer may change if we stay up and we’re still fighting for 10th 7-8 years down the road.

This all day long - Liverpool managed that game superbly. But it has to be remembered that it was Liverpool we were up against. Not Palace, Not West Brom. We'll be alright

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I didn't think Liverpool played particularly well, however managed to score 5 and to be honest if they had been on song it could have been a cricket score. The had a fabulous group of subs to come in too...

I have changed my mind about better players...cutinho was the best player I have seen at the Amex. He was incredible today and you can see why Liverpool want to hold on to him and why Barca offered somewhere around 120million. Absolute class player.

We had our chances and with a bit of much may have scored a couple, BUT we mustn't be lured into fans pretences...they were a different league to us today. On the busses today a couple were suggesting that we looked the better side and should have won. We really were not!

Just to open up the debate, would you prefer to stay in this division fighting for survival every year with no real chance of winning anything or to be fighting for promotion in the championship? We also had this discussion on the bus.

Stay in this division definitely.

I had a feeling we would either sneak it today or get thrashed.

Although the result was wrong, I enjoyed today very much. And seeing players like Coutinho today makes it all worthwhile.

Gull & Chips

Nov 30, 2017
We were outplayed and outclassed by a very good team who never really got into fourth gear. We sat back far too much in the first half when we should have taken the game to them. We could hardly get the ball in the first half and when we did, we just hoofed it back to them or passed it straight to them. When we did attack, I thought we often took the wrong option. That said, it could have been 5-7. If only Murray could have converted those chances - how at least one did not go in.......... I got the feeling that whatever happened he was never going to score in open play today. Izzy looked good and Schellotto made a sublime tackle on Coutinho.

Onwards and upwards, 3 points at Huddersfield please.

Liverpool fan. Live here watch brighton more than the pool.

your analysis is about right you looked like a championship side today. Thing is other teams of your quality often do well against us if you run at our defenders ...... second half it could have switched in your favour but for a couple of good saves and few more favours from the ref ;)

5 -1 is more a reflection of how ****ing good we are going forward than anything else. we have score at least 3 for like the last 20 (?!?) matches. Luckily we didnt loose our shit at 3-1 and let you back in.

everyone is rightly praising coutinho but his partner in crime Firminho was on fire today. There was a lot of talent in good form out there for you to deal with.

From the away end you sounded pretty good, better than from the west stand were we usually sit, or maybe just raised the vocals for a visiting big team ?
Was quite quiet and subdued our end, mostly everyone was grumbling about yet another team with no ambition to get foward and make a match of it. Second half was a lot more lively both on and off the pitch I thought.

Anyway. Thanks for a top day out !!

\

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Liverpool fan. Live here watch brighton more than the pool.

your analysis is about right you looked like a championship side today. Thing is other teams of your quality often do well against us if you run at our defenders ...... second half it could have switched in your favour but for a couple of good saves and few more favours from the ref ;)

5 -1 is more a reflection of how ****ing good we are going forward than anything else. we have score at least 3 for like the last 20 (?!?) matches. Luckily we didnt loose our shit at 3-1 and let you back in.

everyone is rightly praising coutinho but his partner in crime Firminho was on fire today. There was a lot of talent in good form out there for you to deal with.

From the away end you sounded pretty good, better than from the west stand were we usually sit, or maybe just raised the vocals for a visiting big team ?
Was quite quiet and subdued our end, mostly everyone was grumbling about yet another team with no ambition to get foward and make a match of it. Second half was a lot more lively both on and off the pitch I thought.

Anyway. Thanks for a top day out !!

\

Condescending post alert, condescending post alert. And plastic “big club” Amex attendee. Yawn

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here