Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One in Ten Glenn

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It doesn't feel like it was that long ago fans were claiming fans were wrong for being disappointed when the window shut without a striker coming in, we didn't need to sign one because Hemed and Murray were fine...

Everyone was and still is disappointed. It may still cost us.

Heard rumblings of a striker deal that may have been agreed, not sure whether it's bollocks. If the fans know about it, maybe Muzza does too which would explain his last two performances.

D

Deleted member 2719

Heard rumblings of a striker deal that may have been agreed, not sure whether it's bollocks. If the fans know about it, maybe Muzza does too which would explain his last two performances.

What are you saying Murray is sulking, surely not he doesn't strike me as that type of person.

Or are you saying he bottles it when he knows there could be a player fighting for his position?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What a harsh, fickle thread.

All strikers miss chances and none that I have seen ever have a 100% hit rate.

Murray has been brilliant for us this season and has scored the winning goals in two of our games. To read all the not good enough rubbish above because he hasn't scored for a couple of games highlights how flaky some fans are - there was a thread on here a month ago about whether he was a Brighton or not! For a 34 year old striker with as many miles on the clock as Murray to achieve what he has this season is pretty impressive in my book.

The world and his wife know we need a new striker with pace, so please stop slagging him off or questioning his commitment because he's had an off day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I take it as a positive that he is getting so many chances. On another day he would have scored 3. Just was one of those days.

As for not looking interested in the first half? It was pretty clear to me that he had no support, Gross was too deep, both wingers were on defensive duties. Second half Chris told them to push up more (including for the goal kicks) which pressed the Liverpool defence and caused more chances for us as a result. But unfortunately left us more exposed at the back.

But it wasn’t Glenn being lazy.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The positive spin on this is that he got into good scoring opportunities, something he did not do last week at MU when two balls were fired across the 6 yard box and he was hanging back. However, I though he was excellent against MU and worked his socks off but seemed more reluctant to press yesterday possibly due to tiredness with the midweek game too. I was surprised CH didn’t start Hemed to harry their defence more than Murray is able to as it was obvious how we would be set up.

Bizarre as it sounds, but I did enjoy watching Liverpool’s pressing and speed in countering attacking. A better defence and they would easily be challenging for top spot.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011

Murray has been brilliant for us this season and has scored the winning goals in two of our games. To read all the not good enough rubbish above because he hasn't scored for a couple of games highlights how flaky some fans are - there was a thread on here a month ago about whether he was a Brighton or not! For a 34 year old striker with as many miles on the clock as Murray to achieve what he has this season is pretty impressive in my book.

The world and his wife know we need a new striker with pace, so please stop slagging him off or questioning his commitment because he's had an off day

Spot on.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thought he played okay, better than the Palace game. But that chance at 2-0 has to go in, not just on target, he has to score. Changed the whole game, 3-0 rather than 2-1. But he knows that as well as anyone, and he's doing a good job for us in a striking department that as we all know is at least one light.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Very well said. Missed a few today but where would we be without him? In the Championship that’s where. Unbelievably unfair for people to slag him off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But it wasn’t Glenn being lazy.

He's not lazy, but when he's say around the centre circle, I feel for a player of his experience, he lacks anticipation. When our full backs have it under pressure, I'd just like him to just try make a move to that side because the full back is naturally going to clear it on their side. He only seems to do this once the ball is in flight, and Lovren always seemed to react before him.

In and around the box his anticipation and instinct is fine, hence the chances, just feel he switches off a bit when he's looking back at us defending.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He's not lazy, but when he's say around the centre circle, I feel for a player of his experience, he lacks anticipation. When our full backs have it under pressure, I'd just like him to just try make a move to that side because the full back is naturally going to clear it on their side. He only seems to do this once the ball is in flight, and Lovren always seemed to react before him.

In and around the box his anticipation and instinct is fine, hence the chances, just feel he switches off a bit when he's looking back at us defending.

To be fair to him he spent most of the game by himself running around chasing down and did that as well as he could. This league is about slim margins mistakes are punished, and scoring or not scoring is often so marginal. Is he good enough yes, is he fast enough no... personally I would like to have seen him & brown start up front , either drop gross or play him at the expense of a winger. Brown is not a defensive winger.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The one in the first half - not sure that was really Murray's to miss; he probably should have just tapped it back to Gross who would have had an almost open goal to aim at.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
He needs a real strike partner not a midfielder who occassionally gets in the penalty area. Why did Brown not play through the middle supporting Murray? With Glen playing the lone striker he is always going to blow hot and cold he is not a bad player just trying to play a role he is not really cut out for.
I also heard whispers we have had an offer for a striker accepted.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
What are you saying Murray is sulking, surely not he doesn't strike me as that type of person.

Or are you saying he bottles it when he knows there could be a player fighting for his position?

I was messing around as that's usually what people conjure up. Absolutely love the bloke.

I thought it was great he was getting into the dangerous positions that he is usually clinical from.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Do you have any further details re the striker?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is what he is and we have little choice but to play him as he is far better in every aspect of his play than TH. The only possible area that TH wins is debatably penalty taking. If only SB was fit to play along side of him as I think Gross has been off for a few games in his general play.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here