Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton - a positive & negative

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Strange to say but I actually enjoyed the game today. My biggest worry is that whenever teams press us we don’t seem able to pass the ball to our own players enough. City, Leicester, Stoke, Palace and now Liverpool have put us in panic mode on the ball. I thought Coutinho was the best player I have seen live for a long long time. So much time and skill on the ball and what a fabulous free kick for the free kick goal. A stuffing was always going to happen eventually, shame it had to be at home, and I thought the scorline flattered Liverpool. No way am I blaming CH for today, the gulf in class was too big on the day. Even if Murray had taken his chances I still think we would have lost.

Jose’s jinking run was the highlight of our day for me. We need to sign a big striker with pace to take the pressure off us. Murray in the first half was close on useless but much better in the second half but he hasn’t got the pace and three games in a week is too much for him at this level imo. Got into the right positions to have had a hatrick on another day though but we really do need some pace to be able to exploit long clearances.

Great post - agree.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
At 3-1 we were still in the game. Murray should have made it 3-2.

Bizarre that Liverpool score a couple of blistering goals on the break and people still can’t see that attacking them from the off would be akin to footballing suicide.

It really depends how you set up really, of course if you go all out attack you’ll get battered, but the thing most certainly not to do is defend and invite pressure, as soon as we conceded we were in trouble.

The tactics vs Utd were spot on, but then in fairness we played about 50 times better than we did today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thought he got the formation wrong today at the start and Gross was too deep so we sat way too deep and didn’t pressure their makeshift and dodgy defence. To his credit, he seemed to give a clear message at halftime of ‘support Glenn more’ and as a team we started pushing them and were much, much better second half, after a poor first half.

Had them a little worried at 3-1 and Murray could have had 4 today. Not a 5-1 game, although you have to admire the quality of Liverpool - that’s the £s we’re up against. Keep the faith.:bhasign:

A great summary.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Weirdly I thought the start was our best phase of the game. We have played 3 very tough matches in a week and created several goal scoring opportunities and only scored once. I know we conceaded 5 today but Liverpool didn't look superior across the pitch we weren't pegged back having to park the bus they just broke very quickly and scored with their chances and once you're behind its very difficult to turn it around.

I'm still very happy with our season and proud of the boys

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thought he got the formation wrong today at the start and Gross was too deep so we sat way too deep and didn’t pressure their makeshift and dodgy defence.

Don't think we've got any formation on the books that could have lived with Liverpool's pressing forward play in the first half today. Add in the annoyingly frequent unforced errors in failing to play a simple pass to a team mate and there was never much likelihood of worrying Liverpool's flakey defence. Needed pace and guile, both of which we're in short supply of.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Losing 3-1 at home shouldn't be that entertaining.
Sure the last 10 minutes sucked the life out of me, but up until 4 & 5 I thought we played well.

Agree after Murray's pen it was entertaining the Amex was pumped up, letting in 2 late goals was a bit cruel. We need to just learn from these games, Liverpool at on a great run

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I agree with the sentiment, but for most of the first half our wingers were playing as fullbacks and our no10 was in midfield. Murray was our only outlet, if our players didn't hit him when we won the ball, we just gave the ball back to them. There's a balance between sitting back and being on the front foot, and in the first half I think we sat back and invited to much pressure.

We weren’t playing Gross as a number 10. He was playing as a central midfielder. That’s why he was in midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here