Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Age finally catching up on Bruno ?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Have been thinking it for a few games now but today really made me think that age is finally catching up on Bruno as he seems to be struggling more and more with the pace of this league. He seems to need more touches on the ball these days and is less of an attacking threat in support of Knockaert than ever before.

Anyone else thinking he needs a break to freshen things up down the right flank ?

And before anyone jumps down my throat for saying this, it’s not intended as criticism of him as he’ll always be a legend - but all good things must come to an end and i’m starting to feel that we need fresher legs in that right back spot sooner rather than later, which might also help improve Knocky’s performances as an attacking threat as well.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
He's turning into a liability. You can see the frustration on his face, his brain wants to do things that his body simply can't cope with at this level.

I'd like us to offer him a coaching role at the end of the season, but I've got a feeling he wants to carry on playing, and he probably could, albeit at a lower level.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I'd be far more concerned about Bong. Appalling use of the ball at thus level. Not great positionally either. Absolute worst type of player versus a high pressing team. Liverpool knew to close him as he's so poor.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
To play three games in eight days, yes.

But that's not the norm in this league.

He'll see this season out no problem and then hand over to our future RB.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Possibly, but only in the context of playing three big games in a week, including Manchester United and Liverpool.

Way too early to write him off yet.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Doesn't look convincing? I think you have to afford the player at least a couple of starts before making your expert judgement. Being thrown on for a few 15 minute cameos isn't enough to judge is it?

Particularly when he is been playing out of position at right wing on pretty much every appearance.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
What I would say is Coutinho up against him was quality as you would expect for a player that Barcelona bid 100 plus million on. His ability to get between the lines and turn was incredible.
Both him and Bong were always going to be in for a tough afternoon and we are unlikely to face an attack as good as that to many times
Flip side he is getting older and yes will need replacing long term likewise Bong if we are to stay up beyond this season

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I'd be far more concerned about Bong. Appalling use of the ball at thus level. Not great positionally either. Absolute worst type of player versus a high pressing team. Liverpool knew to close him as he's so poor.

Watching a different game to me I thought he was decent today and got up the pitch into the final 3rd on lots of occasions and was not beaten many times on his side

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ludicrous kneejerk criticism of our players this evening.

Good old NSC.

I know this thread is targeting our brilliant captain but most of the rest of the team have come in for stick on other threads.

We played a superb team full of world class players who are in great form. With a bit more luck all these slow/clueless/uncommitted numpties of ours could have run them pretty close...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
To play three games in eight days, yes.

But that's not the norm in this league.

He'll see this season out no problem and then hand over to our future RB.

This. The current calendar of games is too much for him. But it shouldn't be surprise and he should have been rested for A game in the current run.

The issue is that there is no one good enough to replace him and give him a break.

He is a great player but not a youngster anymore and none of could keep up with our younger selves, he us no different.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Have been thinking it for a few games now but today really made me think that age is finally catching up on Bruno as he seems to be struggling more and more with the pace of this league. He seems to need more touches on the ball these days and is less of an attacking threat in support of Knockaert than ever before.

Anyone else thinking he needs a break to freshen things up down the right flank ?

And before anyone jumps down my throat for saying this, it’s not intended as criticism of him as he’ll always be a legend - but all good things must come to an end and i’m starting to feel that we need fresher legs in that right back spot sooner rather than later, which might also help improve Knocky’s performances as an attacking threat as well.

I agree, he is/has been amazing, but the pace here is something too much of a step at this career stage maybe we are asking too much. Rest needed, Muzza too

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS

Good old NSC.

I know this thread is targeting our brilliant captain but most of the rest of the team have come in for stick on other threads.

We played a superb team full of world class players who are in great form. With a bit more luck all these slow/clueless/uncommitted numpties of ours could have run them pretty close...

even flipping Dunk got an own goal ... cant rely on anyone these days ... sack the board or similar

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
As someone who spends a lot of time in the ratings threads, the bounce in opinions re Bruno is extraordinary. It's three games of 'usual imperious best' mixed with the is game of 'age has caught up with him, get rid'

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
even flipping Dunk got an own goal ... cant rely on anyone these days ... sack the board or similar

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
I just hope that Bloom has a word with Hughton and tells him that our current winless run is simply unacceptable. 5 games to save his job?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

Good old NSC.

So you clearly failed to read and take in the final paragraph of my post. To remind you - I clearly said that my comments were no way intended as criticism of Bruno.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He's only been up against Man Utd and Liverpool and had a clean sheet against Palace in the last week or so.

I remember people were saying the same thing under Hyppia, and of course that was correct wasn't it?

Its no great surprise a newly promoted team finally gets spanked by a huge established top six premier league club.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here