Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Second Ashes Test Australia vs England Adelaide 2nd-6th December 2017

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Didn’t his wife write a book on one of their tours and spill a few too many beans ?

Yes. 'Another bloody tour' or something like that. It wasn't the done thing for WAGS to join the tour anyway.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Root's post match interview is almost as worrying as our batting. Captain Boring has been replaced by Captain Deluded.

I am all for captains taking the positives, but they also need to be realistic, balanced and circumspect. Talk of going on to win the series at this point doesn't sound positive, it sounds unhinged. I'd much prefer him to say that they now can only concentrate on the next test, the next session even. I wouldn't even answer a question about the series. He needs to front up to the poor decision of putting them in instead of trying to hide behind it being hindsight, no Joe, it's not hindsight, it was a poor decision. If he cannot accept that he is never going to learn as a captain.

It's not all Joe's fault, but I'd be friggin' well asking him why he and others got out with ambitious drives when we're up against it, why we bowled so short in the first innings and didn't seem to be able to correct that at any point.

The Aussies have their own fragilities in this series, but we are so poor, this might well be the worst side that has ever whitewashed a series. Dreadful. We've just about had 3 decent sessions in 2 test matches. Absolutely not good enough and I'm infuriated the captain isn't prepared to front up to this when interviewed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yet another disgraceful performnce by England but perhaps we should admit Australia are a better team with better batmen, better bowlers, better aplication to the job in hand and definietly a better captain, but in his defence he is learning the job.but is not doing it very well at the moment

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Entirely predictable outcome, totals like that are virtually never chased on a final day............5-0 now a real prospect too. We've 'won' one day out of 10 in the series so far. No intensity, no consistency. Missing our best player doesn't help either.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Entirely predictable outcome, totals like that are virtually never chased on a final day............5-0 now a real prospect too. We've 'won' one day out of 10 in the series so far. No intensity, no consistency. Missing our best player doesn't help either.

No backbone...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I predict 4-1, with England returning to the fine 80's / 90's tradition of emphatic victory in the dead rubber at the end.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Root's post match interview is almost as worrying as our batting. Captain Boring has been replaced by Captain Deluded.

I am all for captains taking the positives, but they also need to be realistic, balanced and circumspect. Talk of going on to win the series at this point doesn't sound positive, it sounds unhinged. I'd much prefer him to say that they now can only concentrate on the next test, the next session even. I wouldn't even answer a question about the series. He needs to front up to the poor decision of putting them in instead of trying to hide behind it being hindsight, no Joe, it's not hindsight, it was a poor decision. If he cannot accept that he is never going to learn as a captain.

It's not all Joe's fault, but I'd be friggin' well asking him why he and others got out with ambitious drives when we're up against it, why we bowled so short in the first innings and didn't seem to be able to correct that at any point.

The Aussies have their own fragilities in this series, but we are so poor, this might well be the worst side that has ever whitewashed a series. Dreadful. We've just about had 3 decent sessions in 2 test matches. Absolutely not good enough and I'm infuriated the captain isn't prepared to front up to this when interviewed.

Yeah, Root is clearly struggling. The decision to allow Australia to get runs on the board again was a poor one and he didn't have his bowlers operatin correctly, but then we've seen Broad and Anderson bowl too short on mre than one occasion.

I do think he should bite the bullet and bat at 3, too.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Yeah, Root is clearly struggling. The decision to allow Australia to get runs on the board again was a poor one and he didn't have his bowlers operatin correctly, but then we've seen Broad and Anderson bowl too short on mre than one occasion.

I do think he should bite the bullet and bat at 3, too.

Fine bowlers as they are I am guessing they pay little attention to Root. They bowl as they please.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yet another disgraceful performnce by England but perhaps we should admit Australia are a better team with better batmen, better bowlers, better aplication to the job in hand and definietly a better captain, but in his defence he is learning the job.but is not doing it very well at the moment

*In Australian conditions. Very different story over here.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Before the series I predicted a 3-1 loss. Thought they would get a draw either in Brisbane or Adelaide and win either Melbourne or Sydney probably when the series was gone. That prediction looks optimistic now ! So frustrating to watch at times. But if you put man for man in each team I am not sure how many of England's team would get in a combined team. Maybe Root, Bairstow and Anderson. Cook would have been but not on current form.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

" We showed character in the second innings "....." We are still massively in this series "........Bloody hell....I've heard some garbage in my time but he has really let himself down with these comments. He needs to man up and admit how pathetic they have been. These comments are an insult to the listening and watching England fans. You wouldn't mind if this was a strong Aussie side but this lot a very ordinary and very beatable. The trouble is, they have worked out most of these England players, some of whom have built their careers on a surfeit of moderate bowling and or cheap wickets in England, where the ball moves like crazy. As soon as they get on hard, bouncy wickets, their bottle goes and you end up with weak submission. Chief culprits....Cook, Moeen and Broad. Stoneman is a novice. Vince and Malan are not good enough. Root is under too much pressure. Bairstow cannot play a disciplined innings to save his life and Broad and Anderson are just rabbits with the bat. The tail never wags, it just drops off.
I've seen some average England teams in my time but this lot are actually poor and however much Root tries to big it, he is making himself look like an idiot.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We are not playing over here so what has that to do with the price of fish.
Plenty. You're saying that we're so much worse than Australia. Over there we are. Over here we've won how many in a row?

And on a broader point not many of the top sides lose series at home any more. I'm not saying we're doing well, we're not but I can't say the results so far are massively outside the expectation I have for us in this series without Stokes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Plenty. You're saying that we're so much worse than Australia. Over there we are. Over here we've won how many in a row?

And on a broader point not many of the top sides lose series at home any more. I'm not saying we're doing well, we're not but I can't say the results so far are massively outside the expectation I have for us in this series without Stokes.

Winning home series and then losing away 5-0 smacks of players not putting in a shift. I know its difficult but some of this is abject surrender.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Winning home series and then losing away 5-0 smacks of players not putting in a shift. I know its difficult but some of this is abject surrender.
And some of it is completely unrealistic expectations. Outside of the media types who have to say it so people will watch, surely no one thought we'd do any better than losing 3-1?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that most people expected us to at least compete even if we lost the series unfortunately that hasn't happened as yet. granted we lost Stokes but surely he was not the difference between winning and getting annihilated.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good interview with Geoff Boycott on BBC Sport where he says we have no chance as Australia are much better than us. He says we have 2 medium fast bowlers Aus have 1 but they also have 3 proper fast bowlers. They have a spinner who can get wickets we have one who doesnt look like he will take a wicket and our batting is far inferior as we havent scored anywhere near enough runs to make a game of it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good interview with Geoff Boycott on BBC Sport where he says we have no chance as Australia are much better than us. He says we have 2 medium fast bowlers Aus have 1 but they also have 3 proper fast bowlers. They have a spinner who can get wickets we have one who doesnt look like he will take a wicket and our batting is far inferior as we havent scored anywhere near enough runs to make a game of it.

Wrong and wrong. Except in Australia- although their batting is just as suspect as ours.

They have a player who can make big hundreds regularly. We have three- none of which are at present.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wrong and wrong. Except in Australia- although their batting is just as suspect as ours.

They have a player who can make big hundreds regularly. We have three- none of which are at present.

How can you say he is wrong when the summing up of our bowlers is right on the knuckle. Our main strike bowlers are not as fast as Australia and the rest look medium pace. Ali and Root look like they couldnt bowl out or stop a village cricketer scoring.in comparison to Lyons. This is the best we have to play the Aussies and they have shown they are not good enough., Boycott was one of our best ever batsmen and certainly knows what he is talking about irrespective of him as a man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here