Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Second Ashes Test Australia vs England Adelaide 2nd-6th December 2017

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh but he definitely would.

BG thinks Moeen is rubbish. Bearing in mind he's also written off Stoneman, Malan, Westley, Woakes, Bairstow, Ball, etc over the last few months, I'm not sure exactly who he would pick.

I think that we are very low in choice as the short type cricket is killing the game as a game and pandering to the finances of crowds but not producing batsmen who can build an innings or bowlers that can bowl economically for long spells. I think that like Moeen we have the best of a bad bunch. He is a our top spinner and way behind the likes of Laker and Lock for ability or even more recently Swan.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think that we are very low in choice as the short type cricket is killing the game as a game and pandering to the finances of crowds but not producing batsmen who can build an innings or bowlers that can bowl economically for long spells. I think that like Moeen we have the best of a bad bunch. He is a our top spinner and way behind the likes of Laker and Lock for ability or even more recently Swan.

There's a pretty sharp drop from Swann to the next best in the last 30 years though BG. I'd say Ali is worth more to the team than Panesar, Giles, Tufnell, Croft or Embury of recent vintage.

Outside of the three you mentioned and Underwood, we've never really produced great spinners. Conditions back home aren't really conducive to it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's a pretty sharp drop from Swann to the next best in the last 30 years though BG. I'd say Ali is worth more to the team than Panesar, Giles, Tufnell, Croft or Embury of recent vintage.

Outside of the three you mentioned and Underwood, we've never really produced great spinners. Conditions back home aren't really conducive to it.

I always rated Phil Edmonds. He was the best English spinner during the 1980s and key to the Middlesex years of plenty. He was only selected for England when it was unavoidable though. Attitude issues.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

He's a comparable bowler to those on that list, and a vastly superior batsman.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On his day Tufnell was easily the best bowler on that list. But he contributed nothing else.

Of course Ali doesn't look great in comparison to Swann. Swann is arguably the best spinner England has ever had.

Yeah - wouldn't argue with any of that. The 'on his day' part is important in regards to Tufnell though - easily the most dangerous of those bowlers, but erratic on a bad day, too.

He started as a batsman, interestingly. You'd never have known it, by the time he was playing Tests.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On his day Tufnell was easily the best bowler on that list. But he contributed nothing else.

Of course Ali doesn't look great in comparison to Swann. Swann is arguably the best spinner England has ever had.

bit of a sweeping statement when you consider Laker, Titmus, Edmonds, Embury, Underwood, Locke, Verity even Giles.

underwood was totally unplayable in his day...on a wet wicket. I haven't seen a better spinner than him apart from probably Warne or Mushie.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
bit of a sweeping statement when you consider Laker, Titmus, Edmonds, Embury, Underwood, Locke, Verity even Giles.

underwood was totally unplayable in his day...on a wet wicket. I haven't seen a better spinner than him apart from probably Warne or Mushie.

I don't think it is. I said arguably. And I also said that Laker, Lock and Underwood were up there. The other names you suggest are at least one rung (two in Giles's case) below.

If you take those top 4 out, post-war I would imagine that overall no one else contributes more than Moeen Ali.

But I suppose the main point I was making is that if you look at English spinners of recent vintage, Swann is a massive outlier.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I would say thet were all better than Ali as a bowler but most except Laker,although competant tail end batsmen were not as good a batsman as him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think it is. I said arguably. And I also said that Laker, Lock and Underwood were up there. The other names you suggest are at least one rung (two in Giles's case) below.

Really? Swann's average 29.96. Verity's average 24.37

No-one mentioned Rhodes (average 26.96 and a batting average of over 30) or Blythe (average 18.36).
Tich Freeman only played 12 tests but still had an average of 25.86 (but nearly 4000 F/C wickets at 18).
And we haven't mentioned Peel, Briggs, Wright,Bosanquet, Goddard and Illingworth.

I don't what's the more astonishing claim: that Swann is one rung above the likes of Verity and Rhodes or that England can't produce spinners.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
If we can win this, and I know it’s s big if. Will set it up to be a cracking series. Aussies will either be very deflated, or more fired up, and England will be high in confidence. Please please let This happen. Who said test cricket is dead.

Let’s hope so and knock the Aussies confidence. But my head says when I wake up, we will be all out for about 220.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really? Swann's average 29.96. Verity's average 24.37

No-one mentioned Rhodes (average 26.96 and a batting average of over 30) or Blythe (average 18.36).
Tich Freeman only played 12 tests but still had an average of 25.86 (but nearly 4000 F/C wickets at 18).
And we haven't mentioned Peel, Briggs, Wright,Bosanquet, Goddard and Illingworth.

I don't what's the more astonishing claim: that Swann is one rung above the likes of Verity and Rhodes or that England can't produce spinners.
Since the advent of covered pitches Swann is heads and shoulders above anyone else. Also in that same timeframe he is the only spinner we have produced even approaching world class. So yes I do think we have a problem producing spinners.

The context of the conversation was in judging Mooen Ali against Swann, which I think is a touch harsh given the two things I mention above.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Since the advent of covered pitches Swann is heads and shoulders above anyone else. Also in that same timeframe he is the only spinner we have produced even approaching world class. So yes I do think we have a problem producing spinners.

Yes, spinners no longer get help from the wickets that they used to but, in test matches at least, they're not getting huge help from DRS, they're getting many decisions now that would never have been out in the old days.

There are still spinners around: you forgot Panesar, who had a reasonable test and FC career (and came unstuck for non-cricketing reasons when he should have reached his peak). Crane is with the Ashes party and, at 20, he's got plenty of time on his side. Jack Leach is desperately unlucky not to have played for England.

The main problem that spinners have is that the selectors look for people who can bat a bit. Years ago, that wouldn't have mattered - of the spinners I mentioned earlier, only Rhodes and Verity could bat. But these days, a player can't concentrate on bowling alone. Captains are also less inclined to take risks with spinners. Look at Kerrigan, a decent county spinner who took some tap in his only test match and was taken off, never to play again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes, spinners no longer get help from the wickets that they used to but, in test matches at least, they're not getting huge help from DRS, they're getting many decisions now that would never have been out in the old days.

There are still spinners around: you forgot Panesar, who had a reasonable test and FC career (and came unstuck for non-cricketing reasons when he should have reached his peak). Crane is with the Ashes party and, at 20, he's got plenty of time on his side. Jack Leach is desperately unlucky not to have played for England.

The main problem that spinners have is that the selectors look for people who can bat a bit. Years ago, that wouldn't have mattered - of the spinners I mentioned earlier, only Rhodes and Verity could bat. But these days, a player can't concentrate on bowling alone. Captains are also less inclined to take risks with spinners. Look at Kerrigan, a decent county spinner who took some tap in his only test match and was taken off, never to play again.
I didn't forget Panesar. I mentioned him in the list of bowlers that Moeen is comparable to. A marginally better bowler than Moeen but Moeen's overall contribution is higher.

Warne's famous critique of playing the same test match 50 times was about right for Monty. Definitely a rung or two below Swann and never threatening world class.

I'm all for playing the best spinner and actually would prefer Moeen to earn his crust as a batsman who bowls a bit. However, an Ashes series isn't the place to blood a debutant imo. I'm still not sure what Rashid did so wrong in the winter.

Another problem is at home we can get away with a half decent spinner who bats. The problem only ever unearths itself properly on the sub-continent.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Is the start 3:30? I get up at 4:30 anyway so may well get up an hour early and catch the start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here