Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Bread making Advice

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Did you mix the yeast and salt together?
If yes the salt kills the yeast, also use slightly warm water as this will help the yeast activate.
You also MUST knead the dough for at least 10 minutes.

Knead it, he was so annoyed he kicked it in the Bollox

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I just googled the difference between dried active yeast and fresh yeast and apparently you have to dissolve dried yeast in half of the quantity of water being used but warm water which is probably where I went wrong.

When I said freshness I was talking about the date on the packet of dried yeast. You don't need to disolve the dried yeast in water - just make sure the water you add to the overall mixture is warm - straight from the tap warm is perfect.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for the advice I am going to have another go. I am sure that previouisly somebody said to use LIDL Strong White Flour so will go into BH on Monday to get some.

ps After the advice given on here I went to Allinsons site and they had a You Tube on yeast and it appears that I have done it all wrong and the yeast as I used it wouldnt have made the bread rise. So once again many thnaks for the advice.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Knead it for the right amount of time and really get into it.
You tube how to knead dough properly if not sure.
Then prove it in a warm place like an airing cupboard with a damp tea towel on top to make it rise.
I do not agree about room temp, some ovens now have a bread proving facility.
Or you could pop into Morrisons and buy one of their sea salt and black pepper bloomers, hopefully just as they come out the oven, very nice it was.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Knead it for the right amount of time and really get into it.
You tube how to knead dough properly if not sure.
Then prove it in a warm place like an airing cupboard with a damp tea towel on top to make it rise.
I do not agree about room temp, some ovens now have a bread proving facility.

I dont know whether ours does but if not could I warm the oven to the minimum temperature and then pu it in there to proove bforee turning up to temperatuire to bake.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I dont know whether ours does but if not could I warm the oven to the minimum temperature and then pu it in there to proove bforee turning up to temperatuire to bake.

Don't know for sure but needs to be it's very lowest temp.
We have an unvented boiler in a cupboard with all the hot pipes coming out of it.
I put it on top and the bread rises nicely in about 2 hours.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We do not have such a cupboard as our boiler has been moved into the kitchen taking out the old airing cupboard so do not have such a cupboard Again You Tube shows a way of porooving the bread in the oven. It is suprising what is shown but I wouldnt even have considereds any of it without this thread and the advice given about the subject in general.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bread can be a nightmare to get right sometimes, many of my efforts have gone in to the bin.
Key things... You MUST have a proportion ratio of 5:3 dry ingredients to liquid so I use 500g flour and 280ml water and 20 ml Sunflower oil.
Wholemeal flour /brown flour is better for you but will not rise well due to its bran/gluten ratio. I use 400g Strong White Flour with just 100g Strong Wholemeal Flour. 500g Of Wholemeal gets me a brick no matter how much yeast I use.

Try getting your dried yeast " Going " before putting it in the machine. Add the yeast to the tepid water, add a teaspoon of sugar and a couple of tablespoons of flour and stir well and leave somewhere warm for 20 mins... It should thicken and froth a bit. Then add to your machine and add the flour and carry on.
Hope this helps.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bread can be a nightmare to get right sometimes, many of my efforts have gone in to the bin.
Key things... You MUST have a proportion ratio of 5:3 dry ingredients to liquid so I use 500g flour and 280ml water and 20 ml Sunflower oil.
Wholemeal flour /brown flour is better for you but will not rise well due to its bran/gluten ratio. I use 400g Strong White Flour with just 100g Strong Wholemeal Flour. 500g Of Wholemeal gets me a brick no matter how much yeast I use.

Try getting your dried yeast " Going " before putting it in the machine. Add the yeast to the tepid water, add a teaspoon of sugar and a couple of tablespoons of flour and stir well and leave somewhere warm for 20 mins... It should thicken and froth a bit. Then add to your machine and add the flour and carry on.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for that as I have said this thread has opened my eyes and made me look at the various points on You Tube about bread making and yeast etc. I shall try again, probably Monday and report back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The recipe said to leave for an hour then knock back into shape and leave for another hour. Just 1 final point do ost reccpmend making it in a loaf tin or as a lump on parchment paper. I can use either i fact I bought some bread tin liners on E bay some time ago.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Can anybody help please.

I made a loaf of bread by hand not a bread maker but a mixing machine and using Hovis Granary Bread Flour and Allinsons Dried Active yeast exactly as per BBC Good food recipe. But it was a disaster. It didnt rise to double the size as the recipe said and was very heavy and soggy when baked. Has anybody any tips as to what ingedients etc to use and any otrher tips to get a better result as I will not be beaten by a loaf of bread. Checking the re remains of the flour it is only just in date would that have an affect on it?

:facepalm: dough!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here