Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Bread making Advice

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can anybody help please.

I made a loaf of bread by hand not a bread maker but a mixing machine and using Hovis Granary Bread Flour and Allinsons Dried Active yeast exactly as per BBC Good food recipe. But it was a disaster. It didnt rise to double the size as the recipe said and was very heavy and soggy when baked. Has anybody any tips as to what ingedients etc to use and any otrher tips to get a better result as I will not be beaten by a loaf of bread. Checking the re remains of the flour it is only just in date would that have an affect on it?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
dog-humor-bread-pit.jpg

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Can anybody help please.

I made a loaf of bread using Hovis Granary Bread Flour and Allinsons Dried Active yeast exactly as per BBC Good food recipe. But it was a disaster. It didnt rise to double the size as the recipe said and was very heavy and soggy when baked. Has anybody any tips as to what ingedients etc to use and any otrher tips to get a better result as I will not be beaten by a loaf of bread. Checking the re remains of the flour it is only just in date would that have an affect on it?

When the crowd say bo selecta!

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Can anybody help please.

I made a loaf of bread using Hovis Granary Bread Flour and Allinsons Dried Active yeast exactly as per BBC Good food recipe. But it was a disaster. It didnt rise to double the size as the recipe said and was very heavy and soggy when baked. Has anybody any tips as to what ingedients etc to use and any otrher tips to get a better result as I will not be beaten by a loaf of bread. Checking the re remains of the flour it is only just in date would that have an affect on it?

FFS Brighton v Liverpool......... and you`re worried about your soggy dough !!!! Feed our squad yeast and they`ll rise to the occasion!!!!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Can anybody help please.

I made a loaf of bread by hand not a bread maker but a mixing machine and using Hovis Granary Bread Flour and Allinsons Dried Active yeast exactly as per BBC Good food recipe. But it was a disaster. It didnt rise to double the size as the recipe said and was very heavy and soggy when baked. Has anybody any tips as to what ingedients etc to use and any otrher tips to get a better result as I will not be beaten by a loaf of bread. Checking the re remains of the flour it is only just in date would that have an affect on it?

I'd advise setting your sights a little lower and go for a no score draw.

(Old flour probably doesn't help and did you leave it to proofing for long enough - a proofing oven is useful)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Can anybody help please.

Heaviness is linked to it not rising. Sogginess is due to the oven not being hot enough or it not being in there long enough. Try again with a different packet of yeast or with leaving it rise for longer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
FFS Brighton v Liverpool......... and you`re worried about your soggy dough !!!! Feed our squad yeast and they`ll rise to the occasion!!!!![/QUOTE]

I cant do anything about the game as it is just one in a long season, nothing extra special just another 3 points to play for. But I can do something about my next loaf of bread and I know a lot of people have posted about making bread at home so I thought perhaps they could help sorry if it upset you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Heaviness is linked to it not rising. Sogginess is due to the oven not being hot enough or it not being in there long enough. Try again with a different packet of yeast or with leaving it rise for longer.

The recipe said leave for an hour and it should double in size but it didnt then place on baking parchment and leave for a further hour and agin it shiould rise but it didnt. It did give the option of leaving it in the fridge overnight. You say about another packet of yeast is that better as I used 7g out of a tub of dried active yeast as per the recipe?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can anybody help please.

Yeast could have been old or you used too hot water which kills it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The freshness of the yeast is more important than the freshness of the flour. Kneeding is very important - it activates the yeast so do as much as your fitness will allow. Prove for a few hours at room temp in a bowl with a tea towel over it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The yeast was in date until 01/18 and the water was straight out of the cold tap. Should I have put the water in the fridge to get colder?

That yeast is on the edge then. Warm water not cold.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The yeast was in date until 01/18 and the water was straight out of the cold tap. Should I have put the water in the fridge to get colder?

Yeast knackered plus use tepid water not too hot. or cold

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looks like you’ve got a right cobb on. Can see you getting some stick for this. You must have made some sort of bloomer...........

Roll on 3pm.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just googled the difference between dried active yeast and fresh yeast and apparently you have to dissolve dried yeast in half of the quantity of water being used but warm water which is probably where I went wrong.

Did you mix the yeast and salt together?
If yes the salt kills the yeast, also use slightly warm water as this will help the yeast activate.
You also MUST knead the dough for at least 10 minutes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here