Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Bread making Advice

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bread making failure again as it didnt rise. On the You tube videos it shows the yeast frothing up when the warm water is added but mine didnt. I used 50mil boiling water with 100ml of cold water to activate it but still it didnt rise. The instructions say the dough should double in size if left in a fridge overnight which I did but still it didnt get any bigger. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
9839532f155136c09ee58fb70d29c17e.jpg

I use this.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

500g Stromg Flour, 300ml warm water, 3 tablespoons Olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt.

mix well to make a dough, adding the water as you go to make sure it isn't too sticky.
Knead for 10 minutes.
Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, Leave in a warm place covered in cling film for 1 hr.
Knock back dough for further 10 minutes
Place on baking tray or Tin cover with cling film for a further hr
Bake in oven at 230 for 25-30 minutes.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I use this.

View attachment 91906

500g Stromg Flour, 300ml warm water, 3 tablespoons Olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt.

mix well to make a dough, adding the water as you go to make sure it isn't too sticky.
Knead for 10 minutes.
Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, Leave in a warm place covered in cling film for 1 hr.
Knock back dough for further 10 minutes
Place on baking tray or Tin cover with cling film for a further hr
Bake in oven at 230 for 25-30 minutes.

Is that 230 for a fan oven?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bread making failure again as it didnt rise. On the You tube videos it shows the yeast frothing up when the warm water is added but mine didnt. I used 50mil boiling water with 100ml of cold water to activate it but still it didnt rise. The instructions say the dough should double in size if left in a fridge overnight which I did but still it didnt get any bigger. Any advice would be appreciated.
I think the water might still be too hot and has killed the yeast. Tepid or luke warm would be better, plus the yeast won't froth straight away. Try what you did before with the yeast but with tepid water, add a teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of your Strong Bread flour, stir in and leave it in a warm place for 15 mins and see if it's bubbling then.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Irrespective of recipe different flour absorbs different amounts of water.

As a tip use slightly more water to make a looser dough. A "dry" dough will take longer to rise.

Also you can add a bit more yeast (if the recipe says 7g use 10g) and a teaspoon of sugar.

Proofing in the fridge overnight does improve the flavour of the bread.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I made it by hand not a breadmaker machine and used slightly more yeast than suggested ie 10gm instead of 7gm plus a tspn of sugar/ It was brown to say the least, but when slicing it was not cooked. I did it exactly as per the recipe as regards time and temperature in a fan assisted oven which is about 12 months old so should be efficient. I bought some more strong white flour and will try a different yeast cos I will not be beaten. I even contacted Allinson Yeast to ask them and they are going to send me a prepaid address label to return the yeast for them to examine it.

I have asked my wife to make a loaf using the same recipe to see if it is me making a mistake or the recipe.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I made it by hand not a breadmaker machine and used slightly more yeast than suggested ie 10gm instead of 7gm plus a tspn of sugar/ It was brown to say the least, but when slicing it was not cooked. I did it exactly as per the recipe as regards time and temperature in a fan assisted oven which is about 12 months old so should be efficient. I bought some more strong white flour and will try a different yeast cos I will not be beaten. I even contacted Allinson Yeast to ask them and they are going to send me a prepaid address label to return the yeast for them to examine it.

I have asked my wife to make a loaf using the same recipe to see if it is me making a mistake or the recipe.

You've gone straight in with a difficult loaf :)

Do rolls first.

k....just curious..i know that whenever I've had home made bread its never hung around long

Thing with making bread is, me and my granddaughter do it together, it teaches her about food and also what yeast is and she gets to get messy (so do I) it's become a regular thing we do and have started to vary what we make.

She is convinced that we should set up a stall outside and sell it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would strongly advise NOT to buy the book, Paul Hollywood's Bread. Three times I tried to follow his instructions for an "allegedly " easy White Bloomer, the first recipe in the book, and I got a flatbread every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here