Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Boris Johnson & London Stadium deal

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Tory darling Boris waves through dodgy deal that greatly benefits some rich tories, costs the taxpayer money and further impoverishes the poor and vulnerable.

Not exactly a new story is it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Tory darling Boris waves through dodgy deal that greatly benefits some rich tories, costs the taxpayer money and further impoverishes the poor and vulnerable.

Not exactly a new story is it.
And don't forget "attempts to pass the buck and blame Labour for everything". What an utter **** that man is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly is anyone surprised? Boris Johnson is an incompetent upper class **** who is not nearly as clever as he thinks he is. And the fact he can probably say that in Latin doesn't alter it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
A very murky business at the least and now West Ham face the threat of paying a lot more or moving out

Personally, I feel some sort of naked protest whilst abseiling from the London Stadium rafters is needed over this

If only we knew someone with experience in this sort of thing ???

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So West Ham don't pay for most of the running costs of the stadium. The taxpayer covers policing, stewarding, goalposts, corner flags, cleaners and turnstile operators. Utterly ridiculous. Apparently policing and stewarding costs have increased massively. West Ham seem unwilling to budge though -

BBC Website Report said:
West Ham said: "The concession agreement is a watertight, legally binding contract signed in 2013 in good faith by West Ham United, who remain absolutely committed to its terms for the entire 99-year duration.

Of course they are committed, they are paying a peppercorn rent for the stadium and have none of the running costs for a match day that all other clubs have. Gold, Sullivan and Brady must have been laughing all the way to the bank when they got Boris to agree to that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A very murky business at the least and now West Ham face the threat of paying a lot more or moving out

I thought the lease was airtight, and acknowledged as such by Khan in that West Ham got the deal of the century. He can go cap in hand to West Ham for them to pay more, but if West Ham stick to the contract there isn't much than can be done on the rent front.

I was more interested in the comments about closing the stadium down, which could lead to lengthy court case brought by West Ham a they become homeless.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The review says that E20, the public sector company set up to run the London Stadium, is projected to make a loss of £20m next year and a total loss of £140m over its first 10 years.

West Ham were awarded tenancy of the stadium in 2013, however under the agreement the club would not have to pay for certain running costs.
These instead would be paid for by the taxpayer and include policing, stewarding, goalposts, corner flags, cleaners and turnstile operators.
However, the review notes that since that deal was signed, policing and stewarding costs have "increased notably".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42194382

I still can't quite get my head around how West Ham managed to get such a good deal, at the taxpayer's expense.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As someone so accurately and memorably said of Boris Johnson, I believe in these pages - "He's a mendacious sack of toffshit"

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Boris is a good laugh though, isn't he?
That makes him the best bet to take over from May, when the Tories kick her out,, surely?:ffsparr:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Best thing to happen is West Ham get relegate, crowds reduce so do the taxpayers costs, even better if they end up in League 1

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still can't quite get my head around how West Ham managed to get such a good deal, at the taxpayer's expense.
I've had to check the date of posts to see if this is a bounced thread. What's surprising to me is that you're all talking about this now, we knew it was scandalous at the time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I've had to check the date of posts to see if this is a bounced thread. What's surprising to me is that you're all talking about this now, we knew it was scandalous at the time.

Of course we did. You'd probably find me and some others in this thread talking about it at the time in some of those historic threads too.

An independent review, published today, has revealed more about how scandalous the deal was, how much the conversion cost (£323m), and how much it's going to continue to cost the taxpayer over the next 10 years (£140m). Based on this Sadiq Khan is taking control of the stadium to try and get better deals - how exactly he plans to do this is not clear.

I don't think you should be surprised people talking about something that's been in the news today because of a new report that has just been published. :shrug:

I couldn't get my head around it at the time. I can't get my head around it now.

https://www.london.gov.uk/about-us/mayor-london/our-publications/independent-review-olympic-stadium

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here