Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stains homophobe given banning order

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
http://www.theargus.co.uk/News/15694901.Banning_order_for_homophobe/

"A SOUTHAMPTON fan has been banned from football matches after hurling homophobic abuse at Albion supporters.

Former Southampton FC club shop worker Jonathan Coombs, 28, shouted “does your boyfriend know you’re here” and “f*** off you c***s” at Brighton and Hove Albion fans, as he watched his team play away at at The Amex.

He was arrested at the ground by police for a public order offence.

District Judge Tessa Szagun said she banned Coombs from football matches for three years to prevent him from causing violent disorder at future matches."

Hard man Coombs wore Stains club colours, to demonstrate his toughness on enemy terrority. Now unemployed, he intends to study for Mastermind.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I loved the bit in the Argus report that said he normally went with his mum and dad and couldn't drink...but here he went with a friend and spent all day drinking.

Bless his little homophobic socks.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If I were his lawyer I would have pointed out that x% of the crowd were women and his defendant was questioning their fidelity..... As regards calling people 'C**ts' well not sure where that leaves most/lot of fans.

I am not defending homophobia but pointing out that there is a thin line between being criminalised and not and if this the only evidence that is used then I doubt he is truly homophobic more just a silly person (nearly said a rude word) thinking he is clever by using this tired old chant.

Based on this I would expect to see circa 200 banning orders for CP fans plus some custodial sentences

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Even I find that OTT and I am more PC than Officer Dibble.

I am more offended by the fact that now that he is unemployed he plans to Study for Martermind and that I and others have to pay for him to sit on the Dole rather than going out and getting a job.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Christ. At this rate half of our away fans will be banned for responding 'You're too ugly to be gay' by the end of the season.

I'd say turning up to court in a Southampton shirt (and hoody) is more deserving of a ban.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
He sounds a bit stunted and an embarrassment to himself, but a banning order for that? Jesus Christ.
Indeed, it's quite pathetic and shows the double standards in society. A few dozen people or so heard him swearing and asking about peoples' boyfriends. For that he gets prosecuted, banned from football and has to surrender his passport if England play away. In all probability if he'd sworn on TV in front of millions he'd have been offered his own series on Channel 4.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Amazing what is happening with these banning orders at the money. There’s going to be nobody left at this rate.

If you did that at a rugby match, would you get banned for 3 years and made to surrender your passport for England Rugby games?

Also, banned for 3 years ‘to prevent him causing violent disorder’. But he hasn’t caused any violent disorder, has he? That is unbelievable, banning someone to stop them doing something that they might do in future, that they have no record of doing in the past.

I cannot imagine what football is going to look like in 25 years. I think it’s going to be more like tennis.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
If you're that remorseful at your behaviour at a match, you don't then go to court wearing your colours, you'd go in a suit and look like you're actually making an effort. Moron. At least he lives in an apt town.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Don't know the lad himself but I do know his brother. He told me a few weeks back that he had been nicked at the game and off the back of it lost his job at the club. I've no idea what he actually said but according to his brother he's a good lad, just prone to being a bit of berk at football from time to time. Bit daft given that the club was also his employer but I know they both follow Saints all over. His brother was fully expecting him to get a ban so he probably did say a little more than what the Argus printed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here