Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Impending Grief Handbag Contents

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
An observation on the human condition that caused me to double take the situation and prompted me to share. We humans perceive any overwhelmingly emotional situation to switch off libido. It came as surprise to me that clearly for some that isn't the case. I thought that was interesting.

I am very comfortable discussing death and dying. It should not be a taboo subject. It is not 'sick'. It will happen to us all and sometimes funny and bizarre things happen around it.

Quite.......don't stop because of a few habitually offended individuals

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I used to date a student nurse, and yes she was dirty and no you are not seeing pictures. Anyway, they were all drinking, taking drugs and shagging like rabbits -basically anything to take their minds off the daily horrors of dealing with sick, dying people or the senseless brutality of A&E and pissed up morons. Stories in the bar were often/always very dark and you looked for the humour in everything.

Anyway was it ribbed for her pleasure?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm a bit surprised that anyone was offended by the OP. It didn't strike me as at all disrespectful - he didn't name names or do anything to offend the grieving family. Are we really becoming that sensitive?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I believe that it is a relatively common reaction to grief to seek ways to just 'feel' something else - to be taken away, even briefly, from the overwhelming emotions you are experiencing. For some this may be drink or drugs. For some maybe seeking to immerse themselves in events, sports, whatever. For some it is sex. Certainly a healthier option than drink/drugs.

Human resilience is utterly extraordinary and we find ways to cope with situations that we would never have imagined.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
It seems that this has become a thread about offence. That wasn’t my intention.

Thanks to those that get it. You made very compassionate observations and shared interesting stories & views.

I can’t think of anything to say to the drama queens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
When you work in a job where you are confronted on a daily basis by illness, death, fear and grief, unless you emotionally detach yourself from it as best you can it could have a severe and detrimental effect on your own mental health which in turn could seriously compromise your ability to do your job effectively. One of the methods to help detach yourself is the use of humour, not in a disrespectful way of course but in the same spirit as the OP who intended no disrespect as far as I could see. Unless you work in such an environment you have no idea of the potentially detrimental impact it could have on your own emotional and psychological wellbeing. Those of us that dont work in such an environment should be grateful that there are those that do and have to deal with situations on a daily basis that the majority of us by comparison deal with relatively few times in our lifetimes. So we shouldn't begrudge those that do work in such environments their coping mechanisms.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I recall myslef and my neighbour decantinig some of my Mum's ashes into a jam jar to take abroad. We spilled a bit on the table and got the dustpn and brush out. we both just burst into spontaneous laughter for the next 10 mins. We didn't even have to say why. We both knew. The idea you are a person, alive, working, interacting with people, living life and you end up being swept into a jam jar from a dustpan. Didn't mean we loved her any the less or disrespected her. It was funny in it's own way.

Nobody should be offended by finding humour in death. It's what we do.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I recall myslef and my neighbour decantinig some of my Mum's ashes into a jam jar to take abroad. We spilled a bit on the table and got the dustpn and brush out. we both just burst into spontaneous laughter for the next 10 mins. We didn't even have to say why. We both knew. The idea you are a person, alive, working, interacting with people, living life and you end up being swept into a jam jar from a dustpan. Didn't mean we loved her any the less or disrespected her. It was funny in it's own way.

Nobody should be offended by finding humour in death. It's what we do.

Absolutely, when my dad's mum's coffin was briefly rotating on a stand during the funeral service (don't ask!) I was sat next to my dad, my shoulders shaking I was laughing so much (not audibly) because it was so absurd and having to make out I was crying with grief, not laughter, in case he looked over. (Sorry Nan).

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Absolutely, when my dad's mum's coffin was briefly rotating on a stand during the funeral service (don't ask!) I was sat next to my dad, my shoulders shaking I was laughing so much (not audibly) because it was so absurd and having to make out I was crying with grief, not laughter, in case he looked over. (Sorry Nan).

that just made me LOL, glad I wasn't there

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm really not sure what prompted this abusive reaction. I described the scene with sensitivity. I made an observation on the human condition. If discussing death & dying in a candid manner is beyond you then there are people you can talk to. Ask your mum to book you an appointment.

I cant she's dead

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really? Seems a bit unnecessary to react like that. He's not done any harm.

I can see the humour in the OP's post, and would laugh myself in that situation. What concerns me, is that he mentions ICU, lives in Shoreham, Father dying and daughter in attendance.
It wouldn't take much to identify the patient/visitor, and is unprofessional of a health worker to post it on a public forum.

I can see the humour in the OP's post, and would laugh myself in that situation. What concerns me, is that he mentions ICU, lives in Shoreham, Father dying and daughter in attendance.
It wouldn't take much to identify the patient/visitor, and is unprofessional of a health worker to post it on a public forum.

Oh do give over.

I would wager the chances of that happening are as remote as they are for me slinging one up Pippa Middleton.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Just a pointless school boy thread thread sorry if I was a bit oversensitive. Ive been and seen enough people in ICUs and wouldn't share something like as a professional but hey. Women do carry sex toys in their handbags by the way, not all, just surprised you found it surprising

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

Very good point and something I considered before posting.

I reflected on what this might say about my responsibility to behave professionally. I am registered with a professional body and have a duty of care to my patients, employers and the general public.

No one, not even my friends, know my NSC username. I work inside the M25 (thousands of ICU beds in dozens of hospitals). I was deliberately vague about the individuals I referred to. I have been deliberately vague regarding my profession.

You are absolutely right to raise your concern and I hope I’ve satisfied you with my response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I lost a close relative to cancer last night but I found the story amusing. Particularly as I know that he would have laughed at it too.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Deary me I have no idea how to react to that! Yes I do, sick. The story, the post, the attempt at humour maybe just weird.

dont forget to update us when he has passed and shat himself you utter tool. Totally disrespectful and unprofessional of youl.

Sensitive really? Think the dark sense of humour you develop working in your job probably isn't very acceptable to the rest of us.

Get a life, this is hilarious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here