Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bananarama tonight at the Brighon Centre

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Interested to hear the views on Coldplay of the “no music snobbery” crowd.

Would love to see one of their big stadium gigs. Seem to know how to work a crowd although their music is hit and miss theyre bit lik ed sheeran or adele in that you're probably never more than 1 song away from something you will like.

Very recently (having a young daughter) ive been to see little mix and jess glynne. The former probably sang very few notes live but seeing my daughter and her friends so happy certainly meant i had a great time (although i had to study the singers closely to make sure they werent too cold). Jess Glynne however was a fantastic gig with a really ruch soulful voice that doesnt come over on cd or mp3

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Slightly different turn tonight "Stone Sour". Pre-curser to such bands as Slipknot, Korn etc. Will be very heavy. I shall be wearing earplugs and avoiding sweaty men in combat shorts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh and the worst thing I've ever seen there was Ian Brown who was supporting the Manic Street Preachers, he was terrible and I seem to recall got booed off stage for being a bellend at the end of his set.

Saw Ian Brown at Shepherd Bush once. Really was awful and out of tune and rooted to the spot stuff; very disappointing. Went to see the excellent Electric Soft Parade who were...really excellent. Shame they didn’t get more success really.

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone else own up to seeing Gary Glitter at the Brighton Centre? :blush:

Yep - His Gang Show was the precursor to all of these annual christmas tours. Very silly evening out and great fun. Whatever happened to him?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Would love to see one of their big stadium gigs. Seem to know how to work a crowd although their music is hit and miss theyre bit lik ed sheeran or adele in that you're probably never more than 1 song away from something you will like.

Very recently (having a young daughter) ive been to see little mix and jess glynne. The former probably sang very few notes live but seeing my daughter and her friends so happy certainly meant i had a great time (although i had to study the singers closely to make sure they werent too cold). Jess Glynne however was a fantastic gig with a really ruch soulful voice that doesnt come over on cd or mp3

So were you busy at 9.30 yesterday morning snapping up some summer 2018 tickets

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And most of those from the days when you had to actually queue up at the box office to get a ticket.

Personally I preferred the Supertramp gigs at the Dome on the tours prior to Breakfast in America.

Was the Thin Lizzy the one which was a rearranged date following cancellation on the day of the scheduled date due to throat issues which was probably too stoned to play

One of the first concerts I went to was supertramp at the dome in 1975. Crime of the century tour.

I saw lizzy twice so it may well have even one if them.

I then went to see the at the Brixton academy and was sure Phil was off his face that night.

Jan 30, 2008
see the stranglers there what a pile of shit that night , tears for fears ok , Siousxie and the banshees with Robert smith on lead guitar, ok
regards
DR

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I caught one of those " intimate gigs" in shoreditch a few years ago with Joss Stone. She is one of the best jazz female voices to come out of the uk. The evening was immense......two days later, I say dianne kraal at the same venue and she was just brilliant too...even had her husband up on stage at times...Elvis Costello.

I can top your little mix with bay city rollers in Bristol when I was young. That was full of screaming girls...I had a headache after 20 minutes and wanted to go home!

Most dangerous concert I ever saw was shabba ranks up at Brixton academy. There was only about 2 other white guys in the audience...luckily my mate who took us was a 6ft7 black rugby number 8, so I stuck to him like glue. It was a bit alarming when in one song he said something in his jamacan drawl and people started holding up knives and guns. I crapped myself at that point.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Springsteen, Queen, McCartney, The Who to name just a few who know how to get the Centre actually to sound like a decent venue, and would I suggest have been better than Bananrama

It's always difficult because music is such a personal thing but to be honest, I've never really been into any of the acts you've mentioned so I probably still would have enjoyed tonight more than any of those but more than happy to admit that there's lots of people who would disagree with me.

A friend of mine is an acoustic engineer (different from a 'sound man' he tells me).

It has long been acknoweldged that the Brighton Centre is poor for acoustics - the worst part being the sound bouncing straight back off the back wall in to the auditorium. However, when Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds was played there by a full-blown orchestra a few years ago, they had a few quid behind them to get the best possible sound.

Basically, a computer 'scans' the room from the point of where the music is played from, works out distances, nooks and crannies, wall materials and so on, and comes up with a report of what speaker should be placed where, at what angle and at what volume etc - for the best possible sound. The result, he told me, was astonishing, proving that the Brighton Centre can be a good venue for atmosphere - provided you spend a few quid.

This stuff may well be far more common now, but at the time it was fairly revolutionary, and not cheap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mike Kerr made quite a funny joke about that on Wednesday. He was saying something about being 'keen' then quickly joked and said 'not Keane FFS, we're not going to send you to sleep' or along those lines...

:smile: They weren’t that bad. In fact I can totally understand why their debut sold 7 million.

Jan 30, 2008
I caught one of those " intimate gigs" in shoreditch a few years ago with Joss Stone. She is one of the best jazz female voices to come out of the uk. The evening was immense......two days later, I say dianne kraal at the same venue and she was just brilliant too...even had her husband up on stage at times...Elvis Costello.

I can top your little mix with bay city rollers in Bristol when I was young. That was full of screaming girls...I had a headache after 20 minutes and wanted to go home!

Most dangerous concert I ever saw was shabba ranks up at Brixton academy. There was only about 2 other white guys in the audience...luckily my mate who took us was a 6ft7 black rugby number 8, so I stuck to him like glue. It was a bit alarming when in one song he said something in his jamacan drawl and people started holding up knives and guns. I crapped myself at that point.
Balaclava and black gloves would have been a safe bet
regards
DR

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Hammersmith Apollo is also a great place, doesn't look much from the outside but like the Millenium Falcon it's got it where it counts. I've only ever seen a couple of gigs at the Shepherd's Bush Empire and they were rubbish (Lykke Li and someone else, can't remember). I've stood/sat in every part of the O2 and never much liked it. Lionel Richie was brilliant but we were almost back row at the top at the other end. The Jazz Rooms can get very pretentious and is a bit cramped. The Kentish Town Forum has loads of room but always feels chilly and a bit soulless.

Bexhill De La Warr is a lovely place with the right kind of act, John Grant was perfect when he played it. Likewise the Alexandra Palace. I saw Nick Cave there and it was an almost spiritual experience.

The Jazz Rooms... *shudder*.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Interested to hear the views on Coldplay of the “no music snobbery” crowd.

I find them boring. I loved Yellow, still think that is a brilliant tune and I bought the album off the back of that but think I've played it about 3 times. If people want to listen to them then go for it. I've been told they put on a great live show.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here