Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bananarama tonight at the Brighon Centre

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn't go, but love Bananarama.

I saw their mini gig at Coasters in about 1983 or 1984. It interrupted a normal clubbling night there, mid way through.

We stood near them at the bar afterwards, drinking pints of Oranjeboom, whilst drooling over the beautiful Siobhan and Keren.

The Brighton Centre was never as good as the Dome, Top Rank Suite or Portsmouth Guildhall. But I had great nights at gigs of Ultravox, Boney M (forced to go as a kid), OMD and New Order.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn't go, but love Bananarama.

I saw their mini gig at Coasters in about 1983 or 1984. It interrupted a normal clubbling night there, mid way through.

We stood near them at the bar afterwards, drinking pints of Oranjeboom, whilst drooling over the beautiful Siobhan and Keren.

The Brighton Centre was never as good as the Dome, Top Rank Suite or Portsmouth Guildhall. But I had great nights at gigs of Ultravox, Boney M (forced to go as a kid), OMD and New Order.

No need to apologise for Boney M. I think they’re great and Bobby Farrell was a class act. Just check him out in this Top of the Pops performance. Silver cat suit, check. Furry cape, check. Out of time ostentatious dancing, check. Star jumps, check. Apparently he liked a bit of marching powder :lolol:

https://youtu.be/UFQkfHnVU7o

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He’s good on this as well.

https://youtu.be/SgSuSj-6_C4

As an aside, Belfast is quite an odd and incongruous topic for a upbeat disco tune. Think that’s what’s so great about Boney M.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
The 'Rollercoaster' do.
25, (maybe 30?) years ago.

Blur, Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus and Mary Chain.

That was pretty damn good.

Me to wife and i was there loved it other ones would be big country with the cult as support dreamtine album,drie straits 1982 my first gig,echo and the bunneymen when the barrier collapsed oceam rain tour,and frank zappa just before he died lots more but they stand out.

Jul 7, 2003
He’s good on this as well.

https://youtu.be/SgSuSj-6_C4

As an aside, Belfast is quite an odd and incongruous topic for a upbeat disco tune. Think that’s what’s so great about Boney M.

That song has some of the worst lyrics I have come across. They seem to think it is a country rather than a city for a start.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Take it easy

Here are the lyrics.

In the far desert
On a distant blasted plain
A forgotten corner
Amid the death of all things
Not under the blinding sun or the cultivator's toil
Only in darkness does the flower take hold
It blooms at night

In the old city
In abandoned shells
On a desolated edge
Not under the scornful eye or the corporation's hand
It blooms at night

In my own head
Near the hole where hope drains out
And fear is branded deep
Not under law or the thoughts I had before
It blooms at night
It blooms at night

In a valley filled with flowers unseen in the dark
In a valley filled with flowers unseen in the dark

Robert De Niro waits, talking Italian
:smile:

I'll get me coat

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree with Buzzer can't be doing with music snobbery, the Banarama gig sounded great.

For the record my fave Brighton Centre shows were the Levellers freak Show in 92, Leonard Cohen and Pulp on the This is Hardcore tour. It really is an awful venue, shame Brighton has not been able to build a replacement.

As for fave venues I agree with Herr Tubthumper re the Astoria so many classic nights there notably RHCP on the Mothers Milk tour, absolute mayhem. Also the marquee both in Wardour Street and I also enjoyed the Charing Cross Rd incarnation. Also agree re The Roundhouse, may current fave London venue.

As for Brighton, Green Door Store is my number 1.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I've always rather liked the Brighton Centre as a venue, seen some amazing performances there and some not so great.

Oasis around christmas one year were great, support form the Las and Ride.

Saw the Prodigy there a couple of times and they are always amazing

The Flaming Lips on the Yoshimi tour were awesome.

Killers were fantastic

Coldplay were pretty good too (Unpopular I know but they were)

Royal Blood on Wednesday were up there as one of the best.

On the flip side of that I remember seeing Pulp, the Strokes, Radiohead, Kings of Leon and a few other decent bands who just weren't all that there. But I've seen at other venues where they were fantastic.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Oh and the worst thing I've ever seen there was Ian Brown who was supporting the Manic Street Preachers, he was terrible and I seem to recall got booed off stage for being a bellend at the end of his set.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No need to apologise for Boney M. I think they’re great and Bobby Farrell was a class act. Just check him out in this Top of the Pops performance. Silver cat suit, check. Furry cape, check. Out of time ostentatious dancing, check. Star jumps, check. Apparently he liked a bit of marching powder :lolol:

https://youtu.be/UFQkfHnVU7o

I went p'd off as a 13 year old not wanting to go on a family outing. By the end of the evening, I loved the music.

Still catchy now, I can see why there were massively successful.

The worst gig there for me was Stiff Little Fingers in c. 1980. Crap band, in an auditorium 75% unsold empty.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interested to hear the views on Coldplay of the “no music snobbery” crowd.

I have a number of their albums. Think they’ve evolved into a brilliant stadium art/pop band, like their dabblings with Eno, Clocks and Speed of Sound are my favourites and I’ve seen them live twice.

Oh, and Chris Martin seems a thoroughly good egg a funny guy: check out the extras on the Extras box set and also his Car Pool Karaoke (love his impressions of The Boss and Mick Jagger and his Heroes cover)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That song has some of the worst lyrics I have come across. They seem to think it is a country rather than a city for a start.

Worst lyrics ever were:

Starship - built this city on rock n roll. Even my young nippers laughed when it came on the radio, for its repetitve tedium.

Followed by:

Gurvitz - Classic. Zzzzzzz

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went p'd off as a 13 year old not wanting to go on a family outing. By the end of the evening, I loved the music.

Still catchy now, I can see why there were massively successful.

The worst gig there for me was Stiff Little Fingers in c. 1980. Crap band, in an auditorium 75% unsold empty.

I saw SLF at the Top Rank on a come back tour in 88 I think. Opened up, in the dark, with a half-paced Alternative Ulster and when the lights came on Jake Burns was wearing black pleated trousers.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Saw them at Glastonbury in 2011 and I have to say......I thought they were great. I thought Ed Sheerhan was pretty good this year too. Not a particular fan of their recorded music but those performances were impressive and I enjoyed them.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The best I saw at the centre was:

Bob Marley
Thin lizzy
Supertramp
kiri te Kanawa
Queen
Rod Stewart
Jools holland
...and over 1 weekend....Duran Duran on the Saturday and police on the Sunday.

And most of those from the days when you had to actually queue up at the box office to get a ticket.

Personally I preferred the Supertramp gigs at the Dome on the tours prior to Breakfast in America.

Was the Thin Lizzy the one which was a rearranged date following cancellation on the day of the scheduled date due to throat issues which was probably too stoned to play

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Some of their songs are good. Some are annoying. Keane are in a similar vein. Under the iron sea, I quite like.

:whistle:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Personally I preferred the Supertramp gigs at the Dome on the tours prior to Breakfast in America.

This. And before they thought that mocking Jim Callaghan would attract the Daily Mail readers. :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here