Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bananarama tonight at the Brighon Centre

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My first ever gig was at the Brighton Centre. I was about 10 at the time. The band was Showaddywaddy.

Oh yes.

Mine also - Huey Lewis and the News.

They might as well have shut the place down there and then - they'd peaked.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Bloody hell! That far back. Where has the time gone?

Madness I think it was. I knew it was earlier (not that earleir) but the date fits in around a time a was single as I went with just my bro I think and recall it being by my birthday. Vaguely

They did that Bon Jovi/Belinda Carlisle mix, Chime of course, their Doctor who remix. Can remember what else. Oh Halcyon and the LP with pocket watches on it. God knows

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I was a big fan of Carter USM. I saw them when they toured with EMF. I've not heard of Family Cats though, I'll check them out. Carter USM wrote some of the cleverest, funniest and most caustic lyrics of any band and they're up there with Half Man Half Biscuit for the best song titles ever.

Carters lyrics were just clever as. I had the Sheriff Fatman Tshirt & various others. They are still doing some gigs, mate goes on the p iss with JimBob and Fruit Bat. The Fat B astard passed away

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Madness I think it was. I knew it was earlier (not that earleir) but the date fits in around a time a was single as I went with just my bro I think and recall it being by my birthday. Vaguely

They did that Bon Jovi/Belinda Carlisle mix, Chime of course, their Doctor who remix. Can remember what else. Oh Halcyon and the LP with pocket watches on it. God knows

True story. My mate (now lives in Australia) used to live next door to Phil Hartnoll at the top of Hanover. He saw loads of booze being carried in to the flat next door and Phil invited him to come to the party and bring some mates. My mate thought he'd have a little spliff before giving us a call and us all going to the party. He got so stoned that he ended up just listening to the music coming through the walls. And he never called us. B*stard.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes matey. Loads. I've been to dozens at the Brighton Centre too. Seen bands as diverse as The Fall, Paul Weller, Underworld, Adam Ant, The Specials, Billy Ocean...far too many to mention. It's a horrible venue for music that has always let me down in the past but tonight was bloody excellent. And I'm a complete and utter music geek. I even have a website devoted to it and full of Icelandic folk, British techno, Russian breakbeat, Swedish dreampop and loads besides.

Can't be doing with musical snobbery
. I also bloody love pop, especially 80s pop and tonight was a lot of fun.

I can. I've got their rare 3 inch CD. It's sick. :banana: rama :mad:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I was a big fan of Carter USM. I saw them when they toured with EMF. I've not heard of Family Cats though, I'll check them out. Carter USM wrote some of the cleverest, funniest and most caustic lyrics of any band and they're up there with Half Man Half Biscuit for the best song titles ever.

Family cat were a good supporting act. Bit similar to Inspiral Carpets :moo:

God I have been through every genre of music literally now listen to anything 60s onwards big drum and bass, Electro, Simon and Garfunkel
Actually the only thing I have never really got into is hip hop (however do quite like Eminem and Dizzee Rascal)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
True story. My mate (now lives in Australia) used to live next door to Phil Hartnoll at the top of Hanover. He saw loads of booze being carried in to the flat next door and Phil invited him to come to the party and bring some mates. My mate thought he'd have a little spliff before giving us a call and us all going to the party. He got so stoned that he ended up just listening to the music coming through the walls. And he never called us. B*stard.

haha that would have been 2000??? Was living in Hanover at the time

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Family cat were a good supporting act. Bit similar to Inspiral Carpets :moo:

God I have been through every genre of music literally now listen to anything 60s onwards big drum and bass, Electro, Simon and Garfunkel
Actually the only thing I have never really got into is hip hop (however do quite like Eminem and Dizzee Rascal)

Same here. I do like 80s and early 90s hip-hop, more so the mixing and scratching side of it rather than rap and it all seems a bit innocent compared to the gangsta and bling that followed. Regards my tastes, like you they're extrmely varied but I do have blind spots with some of the biggest names where I just don't get it. Led Zep leave me cold, not a fan of Stevie Wonder, can't stand Springsteen and the Beatles sound incredibly dated compared to The Stones or Beach Boys.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
haha that would have been 2000??? Was living in Hanover at the time

Around 2009. My mate had moved in with his then girlfriend and Phil was already living there. Really, really nice set of apartments and it had the added bonus of having a very dodgy set of flats opposite where the police often visited so often made for great viewing.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
The 'Rollercoaster' do.
25, (maybe 30?) years ago.

Blur, Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus and Mary Chain.

That was pretty damn good.

April 1991 I think -‘night before my birthday. We went to the bar for Blur coz thought they were shite!
Great night followed by a terrible hangover on a flight to Amsterdam next day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it was the Flaming Lips gig with Wayne in a ball and crowd surfing then yes, that was a great gig too (although not as good as tonight). The Nick Cave gig there was bloody awful. Massive Attack were probably the biggest ever disappointment. I got bored.

I was at the Lips, with my son. Getting out the car park after was a bugger. Lovely gig though. Apart from th DREARY support.

That's the only gig I went to at that venue. In the vicinity (top rank, Jenkinsons) I saw U2, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Clash (with Townshend guesting), Elvis (Costello), Ian Dury, Scritti Politti, The Stranglers, The Comsat Angels.... all pure class... sorry but Banananananarama.... are you on drugs? Can I have some? :lolol::rock::moo:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
sorry but Banananananarama.... are you on drugs? Can I have some? :lolol::rock::moo:

I grew up in the 80s and when I was first getting into music it was all about Smash Hits, taping the charts on Radio 1 on Sunday nights and Top of The Pops. Admittedly, I progressed quickly to NME, John Peel shows and spending all my Saturdays hanging around Rounder Records but as I wrote earlier, I still love three-minute bubblegum pop, especially from the 80s. It was a huge part of my childhood and I honestly, genuinely had a brilliant time tonight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To change the subject slightly, my favourite music venues are Brixton Academy and Camden Roundhouse. The first because it's a beautiful venue with loads of history and creates such a great atmosphere. The latter because it's how all new venues should be made. By far the easiest place to get a drink too.

These days, for me, its the Garage. Brings back great memories too as it was a great little nightclub back in 1981. I went to the old Roundhouse back in the day (Ramones, Van der Graaf Generator, The Saints, er (cough) Budgie) but not yet the new.

The Luminaire in London is a cracking venue (saw And Also Th Trees there).

Not a big fan of Brixton - too big and too many cocks, even when we went to Godspeed, FFS.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I grew up in the 80s and when I was first getting into music it was all about Smash Hits, taping the charts on Radio 1 on Sunday nights and Top of The Pops. Admittedly, I progressed quickly to NME, John Peel shows and spending all my Saturdays hanging around Rounder Records but as I wrote earlier, I still love three-minute bubblegum pop, especially from the 80s. It was a huge part of my childhood and I honestly, genuinely had a brilliant time tonight.

ps, neither of us should be up this late.......WTF????

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
These days, for me, its the Garage. Brings back great memories too as it was a great little nightclub back in 1981. I went to the old Roundhouse back in the day (Ramones, Van der Graaf Generator, The Saints, er (cough) Budgie) but not yet the new.

The Luminaire in London is a cracking venue (saw And Also Th Trees there).

Not a big fan of Brixton - too big and too many cocks, even when we went to Godspeed, FFS.

The Hammersmith Apollo is also a great place, doesn't look much from the outside but like the Millenium Falcon it's got it where it counts. I've only ever seen a couple of gigs at the Shepherd's Bush Empire and they were rubbish (Lykke Li and someone else, can't remember). I've stood/sat in every part of the O2 and never much liked it. Lionel Richie was brilliant but we were almost back row at the top at the other end. The Jazz Rooms can get very pretentious and is a bit cramped. The Kentish Town Forum has loads of room but always feels chilly and a bit soulless.

Bexhill De La Warr is a lovely place with the right kind of act, John Grant was perfect when he played it. Likewise the Alexandra Palace. I saw Nick Cave there and it was an almost spiritual experience.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Hammersmith Apollo is also a great place, doesn't look much from the outside but like the Millenium Falcon it's got it where it counts. I've only ever seen a couple of gigs at the Shepherd's Bush Empire and they were rubbish (Lykke Li and someone else, can't remember). I've stood/sat in every part of the O2 and never much liked it. Lionel Richie was brilliant but we were almost back row at the top at the other end. The Jazz Rooms can get very pretentious and is a bit cramped. The Kentish Town Forum has loads of room but always feels chilly and a bit soulless.

Bexhill De La Warr is a lovely place with the right kind of act, John Grant was perfect when he played it. Likewise the Alexandra Palace. I saw Nick Cave there and it was an almost spiritual experience.

You travel far too much ;-)

I'm glad you enjoy the music. Me too. If I didn't have my iPod I'd probably have to cut my ears off.

I posted this a day or so ago, but these are in London in May. Sublime. Nighty night :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDCZYqeNECk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm between jobs at the moment and sipping Earl Grey.

Take it easy

Here are the lyrics.

In the far desert
On a distant blasted plain
A forgotten corner
Amid the death of all things
Not under the blinding sun or the cultivator's toil
Only in darkness does the flower take hold
It blooms at night

In the old city
In abandoned shells
On a desolated edge