Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bananarama tonight at the Brighon Centre

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've got a broad taste, from the Britpop bands like UB40, Def Leppard right back to classic rock like Wings.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Two best gigs I saw there were Flaming Lips ( the one when he got in the ball, touring Yoshimi battles the pink robots album I think? The finale of The Golden Path was something to behold) and Deep Purple. I watched Bananarama tonight too. Was good. They did a great job of Stay With Me and they still look fantastic.

First ever "big gig" was "Rainbow" (Ritchie Blackmore's not Zippy) at the Centre, best is joint equal Thin Lizzy 1980's and Madness early noughties when the venue was in a state of good natured nuttiness for the evening.

And a mention for the Dome, Rowan Atkinson my favourite there.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
feck it might have been 2001 can that be right?

I saw them at the Brighton Centre in around 2001 so could well have been.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Yes matey. Loads. I've been to dozens at the Brighton Centre too. Seen bands as diverse as The Fall, Paul Weller, Underworld, Adam Ant, The Specials, Billy Ocean

IMG_0648.JPG

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's actually surprising more Bananarama songs haven't been turned into football chants.

Jose Izquierdo's waiting
Talking Colombian

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I was at the Lips, with my son. Getting out the car park after was a bugger. Lovely gig though. Apart from th DREARY support.

That's the only gig I went to at that venue. In the vicinity (top rank, Jenkinsons) I saw U2, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Clash (with Townshend guesting), Elvis (Costello), Ian Dury, Scritti Politti, The Stranglers, The Comsat Angels.... all pure class... sorry but Banananananarama.... are you on drugs? Can I have some? :lolol::rock::moo:

Spooky I also saw U2 The Clash (with Townshend) Costello Stranglers along with others like Squeeze Pretenders.

Really enjoyed it as a venue

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Yes matey. Loads. I've been to dozens at the Brighton Centre too. Seen bands as diverse as The Fall, Paul Weller, Underworld, Adam Ant, The Specials, Billy Ocean...far too many to mention. It's a horrible venue for music that has always let me down in the past but tonight was bloody excellent. And I'm a complete and utter music geek. I even have a website devoted to it and full of Icelandic folk, British techno, Russian breakbeat, Swedish dreampop and loads besides.

Can't be doing with musical snobbery. I also bloody love pop, especially 80s pop and tonight was a lot of fun.

Best comment I've seen on NSC for years. Well said that man! :clap:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The best I saw at the centre was:

Bob Marley
Thin lizzy
Supertramp
kiri te Kanawa
Queen
Rod Stewart
Jools holland
...and over 1 weekend....Duran Duran on the Saturday and police on the Sunday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bob Marley
Thin lizzy
Supertramp
kiri te Kanawa
Queen
Rod Stewart
Jools holland

Anyone we might have heard of?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s a very odd venue. First gig I ever saw there was Marillion on the Misplaced Childhood tour and have been going ever since. The only bands who have ever truly overcome this dreary building are The Killers and Motörhead. The Killers really got the place rocking like no other band; this was mainly down to Brandon Flowers’ showmanship. Motörhead just did what Motörhead do. I’m not really a Killers fan but live they are/were something else. Scissor Sisters and Gorillaz were notable performances as well. Run DMC and Beastie Boys was fun from what I recall but I was young and not paying too much attention to the venue; merely being at this gig was super exciting.

The worst a long way was Stone Roses just before they split; everything was bad about this gig.

Favourite venue was the Astoria. Agree about the Roundhouse. I lived in Camden when they started the campaign to re-open the then semi-derelict building. A very special building and an excellent space. A special nod to the Town and Country club as well; I have always loved live music and remember the moment when I moved to Camden and walked to, and home from, a gig at the T&C....the fact I could walk to such a venue really made me feel I’d arrived on this planet as this was pretty much all I ever wanted in those days.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
On the subject of the brighton center, from experience is it better to go for the south balcony or the east/west balcony’s?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It's never been the best of venues. I went last night it was a great show. Still one of the best British female groups of all time. :thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On the subject of the brighton center, from experience is it better to go for the south balcony or the east/west balcony’s?

I saw quo 3 times, from the south, east and also stalls, and preferred the south balcony as the view was better. Chris rea I saw from the front of the stalls, but near the speakers and ended up deaf as a post and it was just like a noise...it was a shame as he is a terrific guitarist. Genesis again from the middle, standing in the stalls was excellent. Peter Gabriel was watched from the south and again, it is better for the " view" but it was spoilt by four women chatting away about any old crap and people grumbling that he didn't play any genesis stuff!

If you get a chance go and see the bootleg Beatles. It is more a show than a concert and starts at the very beginning in Berlin all the way to the breakup. We went just aft George Harrison had died and the show wa very emotional.

Worst one was blue oyster cult who were just a noise and I didn't really enjoy howard jones.

Most surprisingly good was frankie vallie and the four seasons and Terence Trent derby.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The BC is a funny venue. It's brutalist architecture does it no favours inside or out. However , in its defence it is a genuinely innovative building, way ahead of it's time and a one off. It is extremely versatile and allows for a lot of different type of events.
The East and West bars I'm not keen on at all but if you are on the West or East balconies the bars there are nicer.
It would be lovely to have a more traditional venue, be great to get the Hippodrome going but the BC is an asset to Brighton and there far more to that building than it gets credit for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bob Marley
Thin lizzy
Supertramp
kiri te Kanawa
Queen
Rod Stewart
Jools holland

I saw Duran Duran about 7 years ago at the Centre. They were great fun and there’s something quite brilliant about Simon Le Bon still living his dream, plodding around the stage and attempting star-jumps during Wild Boys when he’s 50 plus.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I saw Duran Duran about 7 years ago at the Centre. They were great fun and there’s something quite brilliant about Simon Le Bon still living his dream, plodding around the stage and attempting star-jumps during Wild Boys when he’s 50 plus.

When I saw them, he ran on to the stage from the back where the scenery was a set of pillars with steps down...he jumped and some little girl threw a teddy bear at him and he spun and pivoted in the air and avoided the said bear. It was very funny at the time, but yes, it was a brilliant concert and they were a very slick band. There was also some bloke in the audience dressed as nick Rhodes with makeup and the whole suit etc...he was taking fearful stick from a group of blokes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here