Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Parcels from Hermes going astray..

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I bought something from Yodel and had a message from them saying it had been delivered, but I was home and no-one had even knocked.

So I called the retailer and they said Yodel are only given the postcode, not the door number. He looked it up on his system and said "it's at either number 23 or 25", but he knew this because the Hermes person tags the GPS location, not the actual number that it has been delivered to. Well, it wasn't at either of those addresses, and never arrived. I ended up having to get another one re-sent.

Virgin mobile also use Hermes or Yodel, and the last three phones have been left at another random address in the street

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Similar here. The driver left a mobile number which went straight to voice mail and never heard back. Hermes on-line help said he would redeliver next day - never turned up. In the end the supplier sent a duplicate parcel.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you havent received the goods that your ordered it is the responsibility of the retailer or seller so you shouldnt lose out. Hermes are the biggest firm of couriers I believe so it is inevitable that there will bea few bad apples. We are fortunate in that the lady who delivers to us for them is brilliant. Well done Sharon from Burgess Hill.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
If you havent received the goods that your ordered it is the responsibility of the retailer or seller so you shouldnt lose out. Hermes are the biggest firm of couriers I believe so it is inevitable that there will bea few bad apples. We are fortunate in that the lady who delivers to us for them is brilliant. Well done Sharon from Burgess Hill.

It’s just the ball-ache of the phone calls and the paperwork that does your head in! Could you ask Sharon if she fancies a transfer over to Lewes for me?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
not had any issues with them. I suspect the quality is very much based on who the local delivery person is.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I have been using Hermes a lot recently for Ebay sales, never had a single issue with anything sent using them. I talking a sample size of around 100 deliveries all over the country and to the GSP hub.

So much easier to drop off my parcels at the local convenience store any day of the year between 6am and 11pm and 11p cheaper than Royal Mail who seem to be shutting (or moving in to WHSmith) Post Offices right, left and centre at the moment.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I bought something from Yodel and had a message from them saying it had been delivered, but I was home and no-one had even knocked.

So I called the retailer and they said Yodel are only given the postcode, not the door number. He looked it up on his system and said "it's at either number 23 or 25", but he knew this because the Hermes person tags the GPS location, not the actual number that it has been delivered to. Well, it wasn't at either of those addresses, and never arrived. I ended up having to get another one re-sent.

Virgin mobile also use Hermes or Yodel, and the last three phones have been left at another random address in the street

Are you serious? Fecking hell can you imagine the carnage it only a postcode was put on envelopes no way could that work

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Shite, but they’re all shite.

Indeed. I once had a parcel sent Royal Mail special (signed for) delivery.

When I got home, it was "hidden" under the see-through rubber doormat on the front path, in full view of anyone walking past my front door. I say "hidden": it was as hidden as well as a box the size of a small microwave can be beneath a doormat. When I queried this with the Royal Mail, they informed me that the paperwork had also been signed for, as per delivery conditions.

I can only assume he signed it himself, as there was certainly nobody in my house at the time to receive it, the lazy, lying weasel.

Fortunately, it was undisturbed and still in once piece when I got home.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Are you serious? Fecking hell can you imagine the carnage it only a postcode was put on envelopes no way could that work

The parcel had the address on, but they deliver according to postcode/gps so they don't spend time looking for your house number, but just seem to post it in the first letterbox they get to.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
They delivered a package once to my neighbours. I say neighbours, they lived 8 houses down the street and I had no idea who these people were. They may as well have picked any random address in the local area and left it there. If it was me I would have refused to take it for complete strangers halfway down the bloody street.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm on the retail side of this and send out average of 5 parcels a week. First off, they are cheap. Always cheaper than the Post Office plus trackable, send email alerts and get signature.
Now the bad bit. Right now I have three investigations ongoing. Two are undelivered parcels which are insured so money back. Both just 'lost' in system. They get to a certain point then just vanish.
Next is a parcel size query. I send the same product in the same box weighing the same each time. Three times I've been charge £4.20 because their system found an oversized box. Takes weeks to get it sorted and I'm convinced they are just trying it on.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Their business plan is flawed. All the onus is on the delivery driver who carries nearly all the risk for just not enough money. Terrible company to work for. Don't use them if you can avoid it.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
On two occasions Hermes have left parcels on my doorstep which were for a house of the same number but in a different street with a different postcode. Nothing on the parcels to show how to contact the carrier. On the first occasion I delivered it to the correct address. On the second, after a lot of hassle, I managed to contact Hermes by phone. They were not interested and asked me to deliver it for them. I told them that I would leave it where they had put it. It disappeared a couple of hours late, but who took it I have no idea.I would certainly never entertaining using rhem

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Being a store manager for Co-op, if I were ever to use Hermes I would always either drop it off or have it delivered to one of my stores as at least they’re in an environment where you know your parcel is safe.

D

Deleted member 22389

I have never had a single problem with them. Used to have a women pick up and deliver parcels, she was absolutely brilliant. Not seen here in about six months so I can only guess she has given it up. I'm not surprised, the job probably doesn't pay enough.

The parcels are cheap to send, but I'd be happy to pay another £1 on top to make sure drivers got a half decent wage at the end of it. Job delivering parcels all day long isn't easy, it should be worth about £500 quid a week, that's enough to cover your fuel, wear and tear on your vehicle, and a wage at the end of it.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Some good news, the parcels have now arrived. They were rather randomly left with neighbours next door but one! They were out yesterday evening and have dropped around this morning.

No card through our door to advise and these guys weren’t asked to sign, so the ineligible squiggle must have been from the courier. Very bizarre episode, appreciate it’s a tight schedule and the pay is crap but surely a card through the door to advise (or include update with the email message received) must be the minimum expected and would have saved all parties from the additional hassle.

I’ll certainly think twice about using them going forward. Thanks all for helpful and amusing comments :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here