Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lineup for Saturday’s match against Liverpool

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Have a feeling CH will change for this one, both in personnel and possibly formation.

Kayal needs to start a game sooner rather than later to get him up to speed, preferably before any suspensions or injuries kick in for others so I’m going 4-5-1....

Ryan

Bruno
Dunk
Duffy
Bong/Suttner

Izquierdo
Stephens
Kayal
Groß
Knockaert

Murray

Its an interesting conundrum with Kayal ..ideally you'd want him 'match' fit so that should anything happen to Stephens or Propper he'd be up and running from the off ...so i guess you'd play him in an easy game....guess there aren't any in the premier league....Huddersfield away soon? Nope! They will be targeting us as one of their winnable games.
Also, he's yet to start with Propper in midfield

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Suttner instead of Bong. He is. A better player with a better left foot. Also, think Murray would love to play against the Liverpool back 4.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have a feeling CH will change for this one, both in personnel and possibly formation.

Kayal needs to start a game sooner rather than later to get him up to speed, preferably before any suspensions or injuries kick in for others so I’m going 4-5-1....

Ryan

Bruno
Dunk
Duffy
Bong/Suttner

Izquierdo
Stephens
Kayal
Groß
Knockaert

Murray
Think common sense, eh? Kayal will only get a game if Stephens or Propper are injured or suspended.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Think common sense, eh? Kayal will only get a game if Stephens or Propper are injured or suspended.

Dale Stephens has only one major advantage over Beram Kayal (when both in match practice) for me, and that is his ability to score. Kayal has quicker turn of speed.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Dale Stephens has only one major advantage over Beram Kayal (when both in match practice) for me, and that is his ability to score. Kayal has quicker turn of speed.

Maybe not. I think Dale is a little more powerful and has a greater range of passing. But, I take your overall point; I believe Kayal is the better central midfielder overall and a much more natural player. When Beram is in form, you don’t see the cogs turning and he picks a pass before you see it. When he was player of the season, he was dominating the midfield like nothing we’d seen in years. His performance against Barton where he gave the thoughtless villain no option (other than assault) was the best central midfield performance of the Amex era; one that Dale is yet to better. Bring him back Chris!

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Its an interesting conundrum with Kayal ..ideally you'd want him 'match' fit so that should anything happen to Stephens or Propper he'd be up and running from the off ...so i guess you'd play him in an easy game....guess there aren't any in the premier league....Huddersfield away soon? Nope! They will be targeting us as one of their winnable games.
Also, he's yet to start with Propper in midfield

Who would be a football manager eh? Every decision or ‘action’ has a reaction. If we assume CH wants to start Kayal soon then do you put him in against an ‘easier’ opponent as you’ve alluded to or do you start him against Liverpool?, Burnley? Spurs? Who are all ‘better’ on paper...

My reasoning is that Kayal is too good a player to risk becoming agitated on the bench and then wanting to move on due to lack of games so the wider picture is that he needs to feel like he’s a proper member of the first team squad and for that he needs minutes on the pitch. I just think that now is the time, after the disjointed performance against Palarse, to get him involved.

Also, that’s what the squad is for? I see Liverpool made 6 changes against Stoke and Klopp said that rotation has to happen at this time of the year to keep everyone fresh and happy with the games coming thick and fast...

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Suttner instead of Bong. He is. A better player with a better left foot. Also, think Murray would love to play against the Liverpool back 4.
Suttner is not a better player, has a nice left foot though. Bong played continuously in a back four that looked very solid and compact. Suttner only came in because Bong had a knock, not because he was dropped and considered a better option. Suttner played ok against Palace, no better than Bong in his previous games. Tough for Chris as he has stuck with Bong over Suttner since West Ham, be interesting to see if he thinks Suttner works better with either Solly or Izzy down the wing. Personally Bong for me as a compact unit, reads the game better. Not saying Bong is a better player either. They both offer something.

Sent from my Zxt 203 Dci

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Who would be a football manager eh? Every decision or ‘action’ has a reaction. If we assume CH wants to start Kayal soon then do you put him in against an ‘easier’ opponent as you’ve alluded to or do you start him against Liverpool?, Burnley? Spurs? Who are all ‘better’ on paper...

My reasoning is that Kayal is too good a player to risk becoming agitated on the bench and then wanting to move on due to lack of games so the wider picture is that he needs to feel like he’s a proper member of the first team squad and for that he needs minutes on the pitch. I just think that now is the time, after the disjointed performance against Palarse, to get him involved.

Also, that’s what the squad is for? I see Liverpool made 6 changes against Stoke and Klopp said that rotation has to happen at this time of the year to keep everyone fresh and happy with the games coming thick and fast...

It is tough. Do you look at this as a game where we can possibly pick up some surprise points (so pick the best team) or write it off and focus on the next game (and make some changes). I am too old school for the rotation concept so I am looking for a similar side to Tuesday but I would park one of Jose or Anthony on the bench (for late impact) and start March with Suttner.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
It is tough. Do you look at this as a game where we can possibly pick up some surprise points (so pick the best team) or write it off and focus on the next game (and make some changes). I am too old school for the rotation concept so I am looking for a similar side to Tuesday but I would park one of Jose or Anthony on the bench (for late impact) and start March with Suttner.

I think you can’t afford to ‘write a game off’ exactly but you have to look at this game as realistically as possible and the chances are more likely that we will lose BUT if a manager thinks he is weakening his team by making changes; we have a problem!

I agree with you about not being a fan of rotation as a general rule but games in the premier league are tough and at this time of year there are a lot of games close together, players can get injured easier if their bodies are fatigued due to lack of ‘down’ time so rotating some players is almost inevitable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here