Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Inverted wingers

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Is it time to give knockeart and izquierdo a game on the other side? All this cutting in slows the game down and gives defenders a chance to get back into position. I’m sure glen would score more if he was whipped the ball into from the byline. We have such a big pitch it’s about time we used it

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After this mornings bike ride I think I have an inverted willy.

Anyway what were you saying?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I'd like to see the wingers switch sides during the game sometimes, especially when we seem to be struggling in the final third. Mix it up a little.

Whipping the ball in may play to Murray's strengths, but he's always going to struggle when he's the only target in the box. Looked like he was lacking support a lot last night.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Everyone knows both will cut in regardless I think it’ll be a better option to keep defenders guessing as to wether they cut in or stay out wide seems silly to lose an option as knocky has no right foot at all

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's probably tonnes of footage to prove me wrong, but I believe crossing isn't really Izquierdo 'thing'.

AK seems happy doing both, but given the option would prefer Bruno to cross.
Solly prefers to cross.
Murphy is a cutterinerer (that is a word)
While Skalak, I seem to remember, likes a cross.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The issue isn't that we have inverted wingers. The issue is that our inverted wingers are being supplied with the ball so deep because they're effectively wide midfielders who are on their wrong sides. Last night was a perfect opportunity to push the two wide men higher up the pitch and push Gross back in order to give more solidity to the midfield (as they were outnumbering us) and then allow our wide players to link more closely with Murray by running off him with pace in more of a 4-3-3.

But Hughton likes the system the way it is and I don't see that changing. I'd imagine that having two wide men on their stronger foots would lead to our full backs overlapping less and would lead to the middle two in midfield being exposed more, which is probably why Hughton does it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
After this mornings bike ride I think I have an inverted willy.

Anyway what were you saying?

After mine to work yesterday I have a bandaged elbow and a couple of broken ribs after coming across what seemed about a mile of sheet ice. Couldn't even walk on it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Is it time to give knockeart and izquierdo a game on the other side? All this cutting in slows the game down and gives defenders a chance to get back into position. I’m sure glen would score more if he was whipped the ball into from the byline. We have such a big pitch it’s about time we used it

A game on the other side? Do you mean they should play for the opposition?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
After mine to work yesterday I have a bandaged elbow and a couple of broken ribs after coming across what seemed about a mile of sheet ice. Couldn't even walk on it.

Well at least it meant you missed the Palace game! not that you were going to it anyway living where you do.

Get well soon.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I would never disrupt the Bruno/Knockaert combination, its just magical.

I think this is crucial, and is a reason why AK is often on for 90 mins even when below par: the combination is indeed very creative. However, if AK is injured, or rested, I'd love to see Jose on the right and Solly on the left for a game or two.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Well at least it meant you missed the Palace game! not that you were going to it anyway living where you do.

Get well soon.

Many thanks. Still got to see it on a stream - although fortunately the lack of excitement meant that I didn't do myself any further damage!

I seem to remember a thread on here some years ago about attending matches with injuries / illnesses - or maybe it was about getting injured at a match.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would never disrupt the Bruno/Knockaert combination, its just magical.

This is correct although Anthony does need to up his threat somehow.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He was MOM at United I believe and I thought our main threat again last night

Well yes but that’s not saying much on last nights attacking threats. He’s great but I want him doing his tricks in the box.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here