Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Knocked of my bike - help please?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You really should have gotten his details. If you're not already then always worth becoming a member of British Cycling. Only about £20-30 a year depending on level of membership, but includes personal accident insurance and legal support (and loads of discounts for kit). Helped me hugely after getting knocked off a few years back (after riding on the pavement and going through six red lights, obviously). Think if you join now they still might be able to help. First thing you should do is make a police report. Also, you might not be sore now, but once adrenaline wears off your body can really hurt. I managed to cycle home another 7 miles after my accident and was then off work for a few days as I could hardly walk.

The Police will ask things like what is the colour of the car. If you don't know this it is probably a waste of time reporting it. You have exchange details to get any compensation. Bike is usually a write off with crashes like that as the frame gets bent.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
If you can’t trace the driver and you have a police report, you may be able to claim off the Motor Insurers Bureau. Happened to me many years ago when I was knocked off my bike by a hit and run driver, although the police did attend the scene as I needed hospital treatment . May be worth looking into?

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
If you haven’t, phone and report to the police so that at least there is a record and an incident number. I’m not sure how it will work without details but the same happened to me last year and ended up getting £2.5k out of it thinking I was just bruised.

However, the bruises didn’t heal and actually had a damanaged shoulder, torn labrum, impingement and a wrecked knee. Adrenaline got me home but 11 months later I’m still hurting...

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
You could report it to the police. There may be a camera you do not know about. Would also get checked out by the GP or A&E.
This happened to me, thankfully at no more than 20mph on a roundabout, driver not looking coming from left. Luckily there were witnesses and I asked one to call the police. I landed on my head and was a bit bloodied but not badly hurt and bike needed new wheels. Driver was prosecuted by police, given points and will lose the legal compensation case when it eventually happens. This could be what happens with you if you can find evidence. But yes glad you are OK, that's the main thing.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
You really should have gotten his details. If you're not already then always worth becoming a member of British Cycling. Only about £20-30 a year depending on level of membership, but includes personal accident insurance and legal support (and loads of discounts for kit). Helped me hugely after getting knocked off a few years back (after riding on the pavement and going through six red lights, obviously). Think if you join now they still might be able to help. First thing you should do is make a police report. Also, you might not be sore now, but once adrenaline wears off your body can really hurt. I managed to cycle home another 7 miles after my accident and was then off work for a few days as I could hardly walk.

Agree,I got ride membership from british cycling. When I got knocked off my bike in January and left me with a destroyed bike and a left knee which required reconstructive surgery, british cycling provided me with legal help. I have had the money back for the damaged bike and equipment. I am still waiting for the the personnel injury claim but I need to wait to see what the long term damage is going to be and have a independent assessment soon. The ride membership has been useful for me.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The law on this states that if an accident occurs owing to the presence of a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road- which in this case it has, regardless of who was at fault, the driver of the vehicle must stop, and provide his name, address and if need be, the name and address of the vehicle 's keeper to anyone with a reason to require it (i.e. you). If somebody is injured, he must also supply insurance details.

If he doesn't do this at the roadside, he's obliged to report it at a police station (not by phone) as soon as practicable, and in any case within twenty four hours. Given that he's not give you his details, whether wilfully or not, he's obliged to report this. So he may well already have done it.

If he hasn't, then technically, he's committed an offence. Whether he's now traceable is another matter entirely, but I'd report it yourself anyway, then if he's done the same, they should be able to link in the reports and pass you his details.

I'd suggest it's unlikely that any further police action would ensue in terms of of the collision itself (as in driving without due care), on the basis that there don't appear to be any witnesses or other supporting evidence, but as you say: if you can get his details, you can always submit a civil claim against his insurer.

Hope that helps...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cycling new faults;

1) Cycling with a light so bright that it dazzles
2) Stopping too quickly at red lights and being run over by motorists

and worst of all

3) Crashing into illegally erected No Cycling signs.

Why were you cycling on the road? Cars parking all over the pavements and I couldn't get past.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Don't beat yourself up over it. Really difficult to think logically when that happens. Little you can do other than use household insurance if that covers the bike. Could have been a lot worse so be thankful for that I guess.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
There's a blind bend on the pavement at the bottom of my road.A number of times cyclist have come speeding round and could easily have hit me.WTF.I thought you weren't allowed to cycle on a pavement these days?It's not just car drivers who are at fault.Personally I think cycling is too dangerous as there are so many cars on the road and we have not designed the roads with bike lanes etc like some countries.However the answer is not to cycle on pavements.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Cycling new faults;

1) Cycling with a light so bright that it dazzles
2) Stopping too quickly at red lights and being run over by motorists

and worst of all

3) Crashing into illegally erected No Cycling signs.

Why were you cycling on the road? Cars parking all over the pavements and I couldn't get past.

What the f*ck?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The law on this states that if an accident occurs owing to the presence of a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road- which in this case it has, regardless of who was at fault, the driver of the vehicle must stop, and provide his name, address and if need be, the name and address of the vehicle 's keeper to anyone with a reason to require it (i.e. you).

Sexist pig - men like you disgust me :cool:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here