Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Response from Mr Barber re Palace stewarding and Police intervention

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'm a bit tired of all this.

1) Sussex Police / Brighton will be urgently looking into what they got wrong. PC Balkam has even encouraged this process on Twitter.

2) Palace have a hooligan problem. There is it. Obviously exacerbated by last night but hardly unnoticed:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...g-anxiety-among-club-other-supporters?src=com

3) The fault of last night was simply down to known group of Palace fans who even their own club seem quite unsure how to deal with.

Almost every single game at the Amex has gone by without an issue.

Do we need extended security measures ? No

Do we require sniffer dogs at every game ? No

Will any other club bring fireworks ? Almost certainly no.

The Amex is a fantastic place to watch football. The club "broke" many of the rules. Letting fans mingle before and after the game (not making them act like tribes), making away fans feel welcome (look how other clubs have learnt), having sensible turnstiles and not the ridiculous old school cages you even see at Old Trafford.

Should be allow some idiots from South London drag us back into the old days ?

Nah....

The fault is clear. Stop blaming the club and the local Police.

Sorry but it's a bit late after the event/ horse has bolted syndrome. How long did they have to plan for this and of all places it went haywire at the ground ???. Sort of asks the question of whether there was any planning at all. The club should be asking the police these questions seeing they pay towards the costs

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry but it's a bit late after the event/ horse has bolted syndrome. How long did they have to plan for this and of all places it went haywire at the ground ???. Sort of asks the question of whether there was any planning at all. The club should be asking the police these questions seeing they pay towards the costs

As I said, the Police are being quite open in requesting the experience of fans to see where they went wrong. However the reality is

1) All fans got home safety.

2) Evidence is pointing towards a pre-meditated attempt by away fans to get into the ground without tickets.

If the Police and the club are guilt of anything it's under estimating quite how low a few football supporters have descended. I do think this is less about Brighton and more about how a few fans apparently modelling themselves on a European "ultra" supporters group have somehow got this far unchecked.

This was obviously their cup final, but if Charlton or Millwall were in the Premier League now the same would have happened.

We can argue about the club or the Police as long as you like, the reality is that Palace appear to have a hooligan problem in the way same as Millwall have had.

It's not for us or the Police to sort it.

Palace (as a lot their fans have already done) firstly have to admit it then fix it.

99% of their fans who love the rivalry but don't turn up for away games with fireworks.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

1) Sussex Police / Brighton will be urgently looking into what they got wrong. PC Balkam has even encouraged this process on Twitter.

2) Palace have a hooligan problem. There is it. Obviously exacerbated by last night but hardly unnoticed:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...g-anxiety-among-club-other-supporters?src=com

3) The fault of last night was simply down to known group of Palace fans who even their own club seem quite unsure how to deal with.

The Amex is a fantastic place to watch football. The club "broke" many of the rules. Letting fans mingle before and after the game (not making them act like tribes), making away fans feel welcome (look how other clubs have learnt), having sensible turnstiles and not the ridiculous old school cages you even see at Old Trafford.

Nah....

Exactly, why some people need any excuse to have a go at the club they support is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
As I said, the Police are being quite open in requesting the experience of fans to see where they went wrong. However the reality is

2) Evidence is pointing towards a pre-meditated attempt by away fans to get into the ground without tickets.

If the Police and the club are guilt of anything it's under estimating quite how low a few football supporters have descended. I do think this is less about Brighton and more about how a few fans apparently modelling themselves on a European "ultra" supporters group have somehow got this far unchecked.

This was obviously their cup final, but if Charlton or Millwall were in the Premier League now the same would have happened.

We can argue about the club or the Police as long as you like, the reality is that Palace appear to have a hooligan problem in the way same as Millwall have had.

Palace (as a lot their fans have already done) firstly have to admit it then fix it.

99% of their fans who love the rivalry but don't turn up for away games with fireworks.

No, not all fans did get home safely, saw some quite nasty injuries last night, as mentioned on a couple of other threads, ( and as recorded by quite a fair few OB), however I do appreciate the fact that I am not a frequent poster on here, and therefore these incidents probably didn't really happen....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No, not all fans did get home safely, saw some quite nasty injuries last night, as mentioned on a couple of other threads, ( and as recorded by quite a fair few OB), however I do appreciate the fact that I am not a frequent poster on here, and therefore these incidents probably didn't really happen....

If I can can't convince you, here is a post on the palace forum.

The weight of responsibility lies with the behaviour of a group of fans who arrived at the Amex with the sole intention of causing absolute carnage.

Blaming the police is very easy, but conveniently deflects attention from the root cause, namely the fact that some fans were just there to cause mayhem. The police largely managed to suppress any major violence going off between fans, but there's only so much that can be done when a large group of men rock up and decide to behave like a pack of animals.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Nah....

Agreed. I'm slightly worried though that there is going to be a massive over-reaction by the authorities, and for the next home game we'll be queuing back past Falmer station whilst they extensively search everyone and perform id reference checks on the tickets. Innocent people paying the price as per usual.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

As I said yesterday, there seem to be a lot of people who have become experts in policing/stewarding/crowd control overnight...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Millwall, yes... but Charlton? We've played them in the Championship, with big gates and not a hint of trouble. Indeed, given the history of both clubs, the fans have got a lot in common and there's a rapport between them.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree there. If Charlton were promoted, there'd be no need for any special arrangements at the Amex.

No, this is a Palace problem, we've not had to react this way to another club (although I agree that we'd probably have to treat Millwall as we've treated Palace).

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Millwall, yes... but Charlton? We've played them in the Championship, with big gates and not a hint of trouble. Indeed, given the history of both clubs, the fans have got a lot in common and there's a rapport between them.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree there. If Charlton were promoted, there'd be no need for any special arrangements at the Amex.

No, this is a Palace problem, we've not had to react this way to another club (although I agree that we'd probably have to treat Millwall as we've treated Palace).

Didn't the poster mean CP playing Charlton or Millwall? And yes, it's hatred between the Charlton and CP wannabee hooligans.

Back in the day we had trouble with Chelsea,Spurs and West Ham they would try and out do each other with the amount of trouble they could bring to Brighton,will that situation arise again now Palace have set a marker? The police needed to get this one right but seem to have possibly let the genie out the bottle.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Pyrotechnic dogs that didn't detect any pyrotechnics ???
Better start some new training methods for the small types of flares and bangers used, although the red flare that was let off at the back of the away stand seemed to cover the fans in the corporate seats in smoke, I'm sure this was a larger type.

As I understand it it costs tens of thousands to train each dog, and they can only be trained to each sniff out certain chemicals. They can't just sniff out "explosives" per se.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Back in the day we had trouble with Chelsea,Spurs and West Ham they would try and out do each other with the amount of trouble they could bring to Brighton,will that situation arise again now Palace have set a marker? The police needed to get this one right but seem to have possibly let the genie out the bottle.

Mate..really?

I really doubt that West Ham, Chelsea and Spurs take any notice of those silly little boys from South Norwood. Palace are not in the 'notorious hooligan firm' league. As many have pointed out the 'silly billies' played up on stewards and their own safe; from any real confrontational positions.

I think your view is from the 70s. In those days as you say it was a barometer of Hoolishusness.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As I understand it it costs tens of thousands to train each dog, and they can only be trained to each sniff out certain chemicals. They can't just sniff out "explosives" per se.

All sounds like a railway company blaming the wrong kind of leaves on the line ??? :lolol:

My point still stands though, maybe more training. Police dogs are not trained to find just one type of drug on a raid.
We heard bangers and saw various flares on Tuesday night, maybe the dogs just were not sniffing the correct people.

All sounds like a railway company blaming the wrong kind of leaves on the line ??? :lolol:

My point still stands though, maybe more training. Police dogs are not trained to find just one type of drug on a raid.
We heard bangers and saw various flares on Tuesday night, maybe the dogs just were not sniffing the correct people.

Or the smell of shit totally spun the poor mutts out?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Mate..really?

I really doubt that West Ham, Chelsea and Spurs take any notice of those silly little boys from South Norwood. Palace are not in the 'notorious hooligan firm' league. As many have pointed out the 'silly billies' played up on stewards and their own safe; from any real confrontational positions.

I think your view is from the 70s. In those days as you say it was a barometer of Hoolishusness.

i think the next big one is Chelsea at home.....I remember the game at the Goldstone and that was serious stuff.

I sat last year at Stamford Bridge in one of the home stands as a guest of a pal and I have never heard so much racist/ homophobic/ anti semitism stuff shouted out around us...they were really very nasty people...and that was in the main stand. My mate reckoned it was like it every week and when he went away, he avoided the main group of fans and his group kept themselves to themselves.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here