Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Response from Mr Barber re Palace stewarding and Police intervention

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We were well aware of the likelihood of some Crystal Palace fans bringing flares to the stadium and we deployed pyrotechnic dogs, l

Unfortunately this is what turned up....

Pyro Dog.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What a dreadful e-mail - dealing with all the minutiae and not the big picture. "Some small fireworks" - God help us. Paul Barber, last night was a disgrace, shocking, and your brushing off of the incidents is part of the problem. I want to hear about a serious disagreement between the clubs - points deductions from the FA and Premier League - promises that action will be taken to stop such behaviour in the age that we are living. The reality is that Oumar Niasse's dive gets bigger headlines than this stuff, which is really serious.

Agreed. His stock responses always have a whiff of "Don't ytou worry yourselves about it, this is big boys stuff and we took care of it". But then, he's hardly going to admit culpability.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They're rook scarers, there's always loads of them at Lewes bonfire. They are pretty small, about 3 inches or so. Easy to take in in your shoes. They make a hell of a bang.

Let's be clear: they're explosives. If you smuggle one on to a plane, or even try to, you're going to jail. They should throw the book at these people. And the rook.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What a dreadful e-mail - dealing with all the minutiae and not the big picture. "Some small fireworks" - God help us. Paul Barber, last night was a disgrace, shocking, and your brushing off of the incidents is part of the problem. I want to hear about a serious disagreement between the clubs - points deductions from the FA and Premier League - promises that action will be taken to stop such behaviour in the age that we are living. The reality is that Oumar Niasse's dive gets bigger headlines than this stuff, which is really serious.

Can you imagine what would happen if all this went on in the North Stand at a game? Imagine the statement he'd put out and all the threats that would be made in it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Maybe....only ever saw them in long strings. Me and a mate put a string around the school playing field once. Was ages before the teachers worked out what was going on. Happy days.

You just pull them off the ropes, that's how the Lewes ones are purchased (as I understand it).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Let's be clear: they're explosives. If you smuggle one on to a plane, or even try to, you're going to jail. They should throw the book at these people. And the rook.

Maybe they were just trying to scare the seagulls away?

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey

Public disorder in this climate is the bigger issue for regular law-abiding Albion fans and the point seems to have indeed been overlooked here.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Slightly missing the main point but, with regards to his points on traffic, we were out of the top car park at Sussex Uni by 2210 last night. Ran very smoothly. Seems to be pot luck depending on where you park. It certainly helped though that the stewards were very actively directing traffic out on to the road. Last season when they didn't bother for one of the games, hardly anyone moved for 45 minutes.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Paul Barber is an excellent Chief Executive, and the fact he even replies should be applauded.

However, small or not, surely the mindless minority would be doing this at most games throughout the country, because it does have an impact.

The fact is it doesn’t to the best of my knowledge. I cannot believe with our state of the art stadium, cameras at all angles, stewards literally surrounding fans, no-one could identify the perpetrators.

those flares ran for some time and created a very large mist, how have they been missed?

Leicester stewards advised me that only once had a flare been let off in the stadium by F.C. Copenhagen, and that was because they’d been smuggled in by their stewards, who were there to help.

Edit.

In the second half Ryan had the red fog completely around him at one point, surely giving Palace an advantage. Why didn’t the ref take the players off and warn the fans.

The FA should act and warn Palace that if it happens again they forfeit the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
With regard to delays leaving the stadium, the first point to make is that the club does not control parking at Virgin Active. Neither does the club have 50 places in its directors’ car park so I can assure you that 50 cars at a time were not leaving this area.

Technically speaking they do and that is why I have stopped parking there. I have sat in the car park this season over an hour with nothing moving...the reason is entirely the albions fault by moving the directors and guests parking to the top car park and then instructing the stewards to let out them before moving the queue going down the hill...you also have people parking in the university car park above the virgin car park by the outdoor pitches who do not let people out the virgin car park.

Both of these were controlled fine last year even for the very big games we had. I spoke to a steward who told me in no uncertain times that the directors and guests were more important than fans and therefore we should wait...it was an amazing thing to say! A bit like the twats who think there are far too important to queue up the road to the bridge over the A27 and go on the inside cutting people up on the roundabout ...interestingly mostly they are those big chelsea tractor drivers who can also be seen to be heading to the directors car park. they must be really important!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Can you imagine what would happen if all this went on in the North Stand at a game? Imagine the statement he'd put out and all the threats that would be made in it.

We were commenting last night that our fans have been banned in the NS for standing or in one case (wrongly accused of) starting a "Stand up if you hate palace" song yet the stewards were happen for their fans to do whatever they liked.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Interested about this bit:

"I’m sorry to hear your evening was spoiled by the mindless behaviour of a small number of Crystal Palace fans letting off some small flares and fireworks"

I don't know anything about these things, but there are many reports that suggest the flares are tiny and as such, I don't doubt that they could be hidden sufficiently well to get them into a ground.

However, those really loud bangs can't have been produced by something so small, can they? It must be something of a fair old size to make that kind of noise, surely?

Alas yes, he is right, the noise created in a confined area within a stadium is possible from such a small device. I do like PB for his honesty and upfront approach. The club will be fined for last night, we didn't stop it happening BUT in reality, how could we? Kids aren't searched, Ladies aren't intimately searched if you want to get them in you will, especially if you just hurdle the bloody turnstile.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Surely anyone who has broken in to the stadium will be caught on CCTV and therefore will be facing criminal proceedings and a stadium ban from all football stadiums?

Given reports of 100+ doing this I wonder how many will actually be banned. I’ll guess less than 10.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A bit like the twats who think there are far too important to queue up the road to the bridge over the A27 and go on the inside cutting people up on the roundabout ...interestingly mostly they are those big chelsea tractor drivers who can also be seen to be heading to the directors car park. they must be really important!

Sorry, but this happens on non match days too, pretty much every working day. Most regular users use both lanes if they are going straight on, including buses and filter in which isn't normally problematic unless someone just cannot accept letting someone else in. The stewards manage the flow of traffic pretty well with their mini light saber battens, but it would gridlock pretty quickly if people didn't use the left lane to queue to that roundabout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here