Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Response from Mr Barber re Palace stewarding and Police intervention

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
Thanks Mr Barber for responding within 30 minutes of my email this morning, he is nothing if not focused on the fans.

May also debunk some of the myths being shared on this forum last night.

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry to hear your evening was spoiled by the mindless behaviour of a small number of Crystal Palace fans letting off some small flares and fireworks. I will however address each of your points in turn - and also correct a number of misperceptions:

Unfortunately, the type of flares let off last night are absolutely tiny and virtually impossible to detect without a full body search of every supporter which I’m afraid is neither practical nor possible - and isn’t at any football stadium in the country.

We were well aware of the likelihood of some Crystal Palace fans bringing flares to the stadium and we deployed pyrotechnic dogs, as well as additional turnstile stewards (from both clubs). However, such is the nature of the devices not all will be detected.

The flares are dropped on to the ground. Short of standing next to the person, there is very little chance for stewards or police to identify the culprits. Where individuals are identified, they are removed from the stadium discreetly to avoid disorder.

With regard to delays leaving the stadium, the first point to make is that the club does not control parking at Virgin Active. Neither does the club have 50 places in its directors’ car park so I can assure you that 50 cars at a time were not leaving this area.

Our priority after this match was to move as many supporters away from the stadium as quickly as possible - by train and by buses. This meant ALL traffic was held - as is usual - until this operation was as complete as possible. This was to ensure safe egress for as many people as possible.

I’m afraid that delays leaving football matches, particularly by car, are a fact of life. Some people leaving Old Trafford took 2 hours leaving the car park areas last Saturday. Moving nearly 30,000 from a confined area is difficult enough. When that is combined with major police and club operation, it is even harder.

Far from there being poor stewarding or poor policing at last night’s game, the safety of close to 30,000 people was ensured because of excellent stewarding and first class policing. A number of stewards were injured doing their jobs and protecting fans last night. 2 remain in hospital.

In summary, for very obvious reasons, this was always going to be a challenging evening. Months of planning went in to it and our staff were forced to deal with some very unpleasant individuals and circumstances. They did exceptionally well and no members of the public were hurt.

I’m very sorry that some fans, including some elderly, younger or disabled fans were disturbed by the flares let off by Crystal Palace fans but, as I have explained, the club could not possibly have prevented such items from being brought in to the stadium and each situation was managed on the night to the best of everyone’s ability.

Thank you for offering your opinions.

Regards, Paul

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interested about this bit:

"I’m sorry to hear your evening was spoiled by the mindless behaviour of a small number of Crystal Palace fans letting off some small flares and fireworks"

I don't know anything about these things, but there are many reports that suggest the flares are tiny and as such, I don't doubt that they could be hidden sufficiently well to get them into a ground.

However, those really loud bangs can't have been produced by something so small, can they? It must be something of a fair old size to make that kind of noise, surely?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

"I’m sorry to hear your evening was spoiled by the mindless behaviour of a small number of Crystal Palace fans letting off some small flares and fireworks"

I don't know anything about these things, but there are many reports that suggest the flares are tiny and as such, I don't doubt that they could be hidden sufficiently well to get them into a ground.

However, those really loud bangs can't have been produced by something so small, can they? It must be something of a fair old size to make that kind of noise, surely?
Edited

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

They're rook scarers, there's always loads of them at Lewes bonfire. They are pretty small, about 3 inches or so. Easy to take in in your shoes. They make a hell of a bang.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

A quick search on a certain river site!
Things left over from guy fawkes season!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I can’t believe Barber replies to pretty much every fan contact. It might be very soon orentiated but he’d be quite justified in lumping together a load of generic replies for peoples moans.

An evening ‘ruined’ by flares and fireworks really does somewhat over the top though.

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute

Bird Scarere.png

Apparently, quite small.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They're rook scarers, there's always loads of them at Lewes bonfire. They are pretty small, about 3 inches or so. Easy to take in in your shoes. They make a hell of a bang.

My old school mate, who is a lovely fella but a huge liability, once thought it would be funny to put one in a mates pocket. He didn't manage it and it went off in his hand. Hand was (and still is maybe) completely ****ed. bandaged / operations etc for months - yes he was very silly but that just shows the danger of these things. **** knows what it would've done to the lads leg if it had gone in his pocket! We were reminiscing about this just a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
My old school mate (Heathfield lad you may know actually!) who is a lovely fella but a huge liability, once thought it would be funny to put one in a mates pocket. He didn't manage it and it went off in his hand. Hand was (and still is maybe) completely ****ed. bandaged / operations etc for months - yes he was very silly but that just shows the danger of these things. **** knows what it would've done to the lads leg if it had gone in his pocket! We were reminiscing about this just a few weeks ago.

Nasty. They are pretty powerful, I remember putting one in a milk bottle once when I was young and foolish. It was amazing. I'd actually like to do that again now. Maybe I'm still young and foolish.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
A near neighbour of mine was targetted after a business dispute and one of the actions he had was having a string of rookies attached to his house set to go off every hour.

Interestingly the police were so concerned at the potential damage it coukd cause to passers by that they prosecuted the culprit

Probably the one and only occasions where something done by a fan at a football match is being treated less seriously than something done on a street

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Doubt it - rook scarers are usually on long string fuses that burn slowly so they go off at regular intervals. Football pyros pretty easy to find if you want them. Quick google found :

http://ultras-europe.com/en/8-flares

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Doubt it - rook scarers are usually on long string fuses that burn slowly so they go off at regular intervals. Football pyros pretty easy to find if you want them. Quick google found :

http://ultras-europe.com/en/8-flares

Unless something has changed since I used to mess around with them as a teenager, you could always get them on a short fuse.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Those bangs were made by rookies/Bangers, same things used at bonfire in Lewes, no bigger than a lip barm, in fact smaller.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Unless something has changed since I used to mess around with them as a teenager, you could always get them on a short fuse.

I am with you its easy to get them in short fuses, My friends used to supply us on bonfire night every year with them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Maybe....only ever saw them in long strings. Me and a mate put a string around the school playing field once. Was ages before the teachers worked out what was going on. Happy days.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Thanks Mr Barber for responding within 30 minutes of my email this morning, he is nothing if not focused on the fans.

May also debunk some of the myths being shared on this forum last night.

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry to hear your evening was spoiled by the mindless behaviour of a small number of Crystal Palace fans letting off some small flares and fireworks. I will however address each of your points in turn - and also correct a number of misperceptions:

Unfortunately, the type of flares let off last night are absolutely tiny and virtually impossible to detect without a full body search of every supporter which I’m afraid is neither practical nor possible - and isn’t at any football stadium in the country.

We were well aware of the likelihood of some Crystal Palace fans bringing flares to the stadium and we deployed pyrotechnic dogs, as well as additional turnstile stewards (from both clubs). However, such is the nature of the devices not all will be detected.

The flares are dropped on to the ground. Short of standing next to the person, there is very little chance for stewards or police to identify the culprits. Where individuals are identified, they are removed from the stadium discreetly to avoid disorder.

With regard to delays leaving the stadium, the first point to make is that the club does not control parking at Virgin Active. Neither does the club have 50 places in its directors’ car park so I can assure you that 50 cars at a time were not leaving this area.

Our priority after this match was to move as many supporters away from the stadium as quickly as possible - by train and by buses. This meant ALL traffic was held - as is usual - until this operation was as complete as possible. This was to ensure safe egress for as many people as possible.

I’m afraid that delays leaving football matches, particularly by car, are a fact of life. Some people leaving Old Trafford took 2 hours leaving the car park areas last Saturday. Moving nearly 30,000 from a confined area is difficult enough. When that is combined with major police and club operation, it is even harder.

Far from there being poor stewarding or poor policing at last night’s game, the safety of close to 30,000 people was ensured because of excellent stewarding and first class policing. A number of stewards were injured doing their jobs and protecting fans last night. 2 remain in hospital.

In summary, for very obvious reasons, this was always going to be a challenging evening. Months of planning went in to it and our staff were forced to deal with some very unpleasant individuals and circumstances. They did exceptionally well and no members of the public were hurt.

I’m very sorry that some fans, including some elderly, younger or disabled fans were disturbed by the flares let off by Crystal Palace fans but, as I have explained, the club could not possibly have prevented such items from being brought in to the stadium and each situation was managed on the night to the best of everyone’s ability.

Thank you for offering your opinions.

Regards, Paul

What a dreadful e-mail - dealing with all the minutiae and not the big picture. "Some small fireworks" - God help us. Paul Barber, last night was a disgrace, shocking, and your brushing off of the incidents is part of the problem. I want to hear about a serious disagreement between the clubs - points deductions from the FA and Premier League - promises that action will be taken to stop such behaviour in the age that we are living. The reality is that Oumar Niasse's dive gets bigger headlines than this stuff, which is really serious.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The last went off when Bruno had the ball in deep in a penalty area, clearly an attempt to make an Albion defender make an error

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Harmless fun.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here