Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Response from Mr Barber re Palace stewarding and Police intervention

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That is a load of buncome. There is no problem with the right lane, the traffic is continuously moving, but it is hampered by the selfish left hand lane users, who are solely queue jumpers. Anyone going straight on is correct in taking that lane, it is those that are making for the Stadium that are the culprits.

I think I might have been talking about a different lane/junction to the person I responded to. Therefore you might be commenting on the same as him, but different to me, my fault.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who takes knives to football ? Spineless wankers

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Sorry, but this happens on non match days too, pretty much every working day. Most regular users use both lanes if they are going straight on, including buses and filter in which isn't normally problematic unless someone just cannot accept letting someone else in. The stewards manage the flow of traffic pretty well with their mini light saber battens, but it would gridlock pretty quickly if people didn't use the left lane to queue to that roundabout.

That is a load of buncome. There is no problem with the right lane, the traffic is continuously moving, but it is hampered by the selfish left hand lane users, who are solely queue jumpers. Anyone going straight on is correct in taking that lane, it is those that are making for the Stadium that are the culprits.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Photos elsewhere that a flare was thrown to distract the stewards, whilst some jumped over the turnstiles, others opened a fire exit.
Using a smoke screen is an army tactic, and also prevents identification.
Obviously a couple of stewards did try to stop the invasion which is why a couple of them had to go to hospital.

Utter shambles. Did nobody, in these supposed "months of planning" offer up the idea and subsequent measures to counter the above situation. Get a few extra bodies on all doors or better yet, check all tickets before they get that close to the stadium. The club and the police know they dropped a bollock on this one. The situation you described above is the EXACT reason the police, stewards and security are employed. For them to then take absolutely no action whatsoever once the hooligans were inside the ground but instead let them do as they pleased in OUR home ground is disgraceful. They will be laughing at us. And rightly so.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Still think lots of critcism is over the top. Never any disturbance on this level at Amex before. Sure club will learn from this even if this fixture takes place without away supporters. Think praise to police for keeping supporters apart. Also good decision not to go in when flares let of as that could have caused real bother. Not easy not letting in a lot of genuine supporters but again to avoid overcrowding another good decision

Not sure about praising the police for keeping fans apart. Loads of us Brighton were kettled along with palace lot, outside the ground around kick off, and even when showing our tickets were refused to be let out back to the north stand turnstiles. Obviously it turned a bit nasty when the scum realized there were home fans alongside them, and was a bit of blood and tears, which makes it quite surprising when I read that no bha supporters were harmed last night???

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Lets not blow this out of proportions.... No-one got injured, or even a punch thrown. In fact Millwall behaved worse last time we played them - climbing over the netting, tipping over the barriers and queue jumping at the station etc.

Lots of punches being thrown, and bottles, at around 7.40pm outside NW corner

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Utter shambles. Did nobody, in these supposed "months of planning" offer up the idea and subsequent measures to counter the above situation. Get a few extra bodies on all doors or better yet, check all tickets before they get that close to the stadium. The club and the police know they dropped a bollock on this one. The situation you described above is the EXACT reason the police, stewards and security are employed. For them to then take absolutely no action whatsoever once the hooligans were inside the ground but instead let them do as they pleased in OUR home ground is disgraceful. They will be laughing at us. And rightly so.

Palace brought their own stewards. I believe the steward who ended up in hospital with three broken ribs, is their chief steward, but don't quote me on that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Palace brought their own stewards. I believe the steward who ended up in hospital with three broken ribs, is their chief steward, but don't quote me on that.

I don't see what difference it makes. For a long time I have thought security and stewarding at the Amex was poor. I hope this gives them a boot up the backside to sort it before someone more destructive takes advantage of the inadequate security there. If that had been a pack of machete wielding terrorists or terrorists in suicide vests we could be mourning the loss of hundreds today.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't see what difference it makes. For a long time I have thought security and stewarding at the Amex was poor. I hope this gives them a boot up the backside to sort it before someone more destructive takes advantage of the inadequate security there. If that had been a pack of machete wielding terrorists or terrorists in suicide vests we could be mourning the loss of hundreds today.

:facepalm:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Bunkum

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Those bangs were made by rookies/Bangers, same things used at bonfire in Lewes, no bigger than a lip barm, in fact smaller.

Sorry if this has already been replied to but the bonfire boyes of my acquaintance believe the loudest bangs were maroons, which are far more dangerous than rookies and when used legitimately usually have to be let off inside a metal tank.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

:facepalm:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Generation snowflake in full swing.

I thought the flares/bangers were entertaining and added to the atmosphere.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sorry if this has already been replied to but the bonfire boyes of my acquaintance believe the loudest bangs were maroons, which are far more dangerous than rookies and when used legitimately usually have to be let off inside a metal tank.

Fair enough I am know expert, I used to run around and let them off on bonfire night, in my teens.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Generation snowflake in full swing.

I thought the flares/bangers were entertaining and added to the atmosphere.

Maybe you did but they're forbidden inside football grounds. As are the knives and knuckle dusters the BBC are reporting were found on some people. And it's not a 'generation snowflake' thing, it's 2017. The world has moved on from the 70s you know.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Maybe you did but they're forbidden inside football grounds. As are the knives and knuckle dusters the BBC are reporting were found on some people. And it's not a 'generation snowflake' thing, it's 2017. The world has moved on from the 70s you know.
Where have i mentioned Knives and knuckle dusters ? I simply mentioned the fireworks. Yes that is snowflakes in full swing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Oh sorry, what do you think would have happened if terrorists had got in? You clearly have no idea the level of threat to venues and stadiums at present. I do and these are just the sort of weaknesses terrorists exploit. Out of town venues and smaller venues outside London are on extremely high alert at present due to large city venues now being too well protected. You can scoff and call it generation snowflake but it's a very real, very serious threat and people being able to gain access to venues unchecked or being able to storm entrances is a big problem.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Your acquaintance Captain Birdseye must have been correct about the maroons, as the Coast Guard and RNLI attended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here