[Albion] Maty Ryan, what a keeper

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I think that is bollox. Yes he appears to be better than DS but a "clear upgrade" ...no! DS dropped some clangers but he made some fantastic saves. Double one from 'Forrestiere'! Maty is more agile, DS was a bit plonkey but DS certainly distributes the ball better than our Oz. BUT would I have Maty over DS...only just

I was always confident in Stockdale for penalties, the bigger keepers do tend to fare better when facing spot kicks. We have done well replacing him with Ryan who can use both feet comfortably and his kicking is very consistent. Even though Stockdale had the edge with his distribution, sometimes he would miskick and it would barely get off the ground. I don't remember a single miskick from Ryan (yet). Stockdale was also great coming off his line and closing down, something Ryan is probably a bit quicker at doing.

In regards to reaction saves, Ryan has been a clear upgrade in my opinion. Being fitter and more agile, he is also confident pushing up to a sweeper position and his positioning in general is fantastic. Unfortunately neither of them exude confidence with crosses but if Ryan was excellent at that aswell then he probably wouldn't be playing for us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's likely to be in for a torrid time this afternoon.

I'm so pleased Ryan has amassed such an impressive back catalogue the 'drop him' nimrods would still have nothing, even if Liverpool turn up a put on a show.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Someone mentions either here or t'other thread, something I'd also completely forgotten.

In the first half of Athletico game Ryan was the MotM.

All of this 'didn't look like a good keeper' is as much gubbins as the get ridders.

This 100%

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I was always confident in Stockdale for penalties, the bigger keepers do tend to fare better when facing spot kicks. We have done well replacing him with Ryan who can use both feet comfortably and his kicking is very consistent. Even though Stockdale had the edge with his distribution, sometimes he would miskick and it would barely get off the ground. I don't remember a single miskick from Ryan (yet). Stockdale was also great coming off his line and closing down, something Ryan is probably a bit quicker at doing.

In regards to reaction saves, Ryan has been a clear upgrade in my opinion. Being fitter and more agile, he is also confident pushing up to a sweeper position and his positioning in general is fantastic. Unfortunately neither of them exude confidence with crosses but if Ryan was excellent at that aswell then he probably wouldn't be playing for us.

I was really gutted when Stockdale departed as I really rated him however his biggest weakness for me was parrying the ball back into the danger zone. We conceded quite a few goals with players following in for the rebound and I fear it would have cost us even more often in the Premier League where strikers have better movement/positioning and we are more likely to be on the back foot and therefore have more opposition in our area than in the Championship.

Was really concerned after the first three games (including Athletico) however he has been outstanding ever since. Long may it continue.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I was really gutted when Stockdale departed as I really rated him however his biggest weakness for me was parrying the ball back into the danger zone. We conceded quite a few goals with players following in for the rebound and I fear it would have cost us even more often in the Premier League where strikers have better movement/positioning and we are more likely to be on the back foot and therefore have more opposition in our area than in the Championship.

Was really concerned after the first three games (including Athletico) however he has been outstanding ever since. Long may it continue.

It wasn’t that concerning after the Altheico game. One big mistake, yes, but other than that excellent. Same with City (although that wasn’t anywhere near as much of a mistake). Leciester though was dreadful.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Oh FFS. It would be, yes....but you said the following - which is the actual reason (which virtually everyone else agrees), not one of the two you suggested:

'I said that I was wrong (edit - you didn't) and was just querying the reason for the up turn and offering 2 possible solutions, but the answer is obviously that he is showing what the scouts saw in him originally.'

#neverwrong

certainly obvious..................I think.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here