Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan, what a keeper

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That double save, absolutely superb. He has proven himself to be a top notch signing ever since his wobbly first couple of games. He's the best keeper I think I've seen here.

Anyone here eating humble pie? I'm looking at you [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION].

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Didn't he fail Spence's height test? Therefore he's shit in my book.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When the rebound fell to Zaha I've never been so certain of a goal being imminent in my life. Stunning.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Had justified concerns after the athletico friendly - but has come up trumps since

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The height thing threw me for the first couple of games.
He is so physically different to Stockers ( whom I rated very highly)

However he has been immense this season. I'm sure there will be a clanger somewhere along the line, but faultless up til now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
When he first came I was told how agile he was.

Then after a few games I said '' I'm just not seeing it '' - Now I have to concede it is coming to the fore

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
World class last night. I've definitely changed my opinion of him.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The height thing threw me for the first couple of games.
He is so physically different to Stockers ( whom I rated very highly)

However he has been immense this season. I'm sure there will be a clanger somewhere along the line, but faultless up til now.

Really? Bit of a clanger in the Leicester away game and was quite shaky in the early matches I thought. But has really improved greatly and made some terrific reaction stops in recent matches, long may it continue.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London
So you can't judge a player based on two games. Who'd have thought it? I'm sure NSC will learn from this, and won't make the same mistake again.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
The reaction to him at the beginning of season was so OTT.
It is obvious he is a fantastic keeper and well worth his transfer fee. Whilst I loved Stockdale , Ryan is far superior in every aspect of goal keeping.
On top of that I love his passion for the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
ALL keepers have a mistake in them. Stockdale and Kuszczak to name two recent Albion examples were certainly no exception to this rule.

Maty Ryan has been superb for us this season and the fact he seems a decent bloke just tops it up.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
He's been superb.

The only thing I would fault him for is how his name is spelled. Looks like it should sound like a child's bubble bath spelt like that.

Commentators seem contractually obliged to say 'He's quite small for a keeper.' every game.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I loved Stockdale, I still think he would have done a fine Job if he had his chance for us in the Prem, but Maty Ryan was outstanding again last night! Can't speak highly enough of him, I do wish he could could kick the ball flat like stockdale used to for a quick counter attack though. Having said that I have never seen a goalkeeper as comfortable with both feet.

Had him in my dream team since the start too which is always a bonus when he keeps a clean sheet.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had justified concerns after the athletico friendly - but has come up trumps since

Interesting use of the word 'justified' when discussing 1 mistake early in his first preseason friendly.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Humble pie for me, thought he looked a proper liability after the Atleti and Leicester games. Since then he has hardly put a foot (or hand wrong), he is certainly a big step up in agility from Stockdale and once again shows that CH and the recruitment team knew exactly what they were doing.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Like many here, I wasn't convinced early on. But now when a high ball is hoisted into our penalty area, I just assume that Ryan will come and catch it, because that's what he does. Stocko was taller but I never felt as comfortable in that situation with him in goal as I do with MR.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
The reaction to him at the beginning of season was so OTT.
It is obvious he is a fantastic keeper and well worth his transfer fee. Whilst I loved Stockdale , Ryan is far superior in every aspect of goal keeping.
On top of that I love his passion for the game.

Absolutely agree. Stockdale was excellent but I remember being distinctly unimpressed with him the first season.

He’s making world class saves and looking very solid all round.

Have to say I’ve been very impressed by all our new players this season. Great advert for our recruitment team.

Now for another striker to complete the set......!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here