Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan, what a keeper

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Following on from the mad double save at Old Trafford, this one was arguably better. Viewed from sitting on halfway in West Upper, that Zaha follow-up was basically a goal. Except it wasn't.
:clap::clap:

And on a separate note...is there a better sight in football than seeing Zaha dumped in the advertising hoardings, squealing for a foul, with none given?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Interesting use of the word 'justified' when discussing 1 mistake early in his first preseason friendly.

It was an horrendous error in front of the north stand (on home debut?)

One that has meant I've been concerned every time a shot goes straight at him since

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was an horrendous error in front of the north stand (on home debut?)

One that has meant I've been concerned every time a shot goes straight at him since

Sure as errors go that was a doozy, but have you based his entire career before and since on that aberration?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That double save reminded me of Kuipers’ double at Wolves. I think Ryan secured himself a place in future video montages.

This. Can it be done in time for the next home game?

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Can we get a GIF of his double save?

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Had justified concerns after the athletico friendly - but has come up trumps since

Harsh really, he dropped ONE clanger which in fairness the type of handling error does happen from time to time. Other than that, people seem to forget he was EASILY our best player in the first half of the Atleti game

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
The double save was top class. But my personal highlight was when the scum had a corner (just before the perfectly timed bang to put off their own players). Knockaert was looking a but frustrated and stood on the back post, before Maty physically grabbed him by his shirt and started barking orders at him to get in position. Good to see him taking control, like any good 'keeper should.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Following on from the mad double save at Old Trafford, this one was arguably better. Viewed from sitting on halfway in West Upper, that Zaha follow-up was basically a goal. Except it wasn't.
:clap::clap:

And on a separate note...is there a better sight in football than seeing Zaha dumped in the advertising hoardings, squealing for a foul, with none given?

Same here - I sit level with the edge of the 6 yard box in WSL, and it looked like a certain goal.

The double save was top class. But my personal highlight was when the scum had a corner (just before the perfectly timed bang to put off their own players). Knockaert was looking a but frustrated and stood on the back post, before Maty physically grabbed him by his shirt and started barking orders at him to get in position. Good to see him taking control, like any good 'keeper should.

Saw this - gave Knocky a massive bollocking and shoved him out towards the corner

Think Ryan is doing exceptionally well. at the risk of jinxing him, difficult to think of a real error since the Leicester game. He's got the ball control of a top quality outfield player too.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
rCV1Uxy.gif

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We're fortunate Benteke gets a shot off on target because that looks like a penalty otherwise!

He's tripped after the ball as you say, which is a consequence of the challenges not fortune. Dunk and Suttner are diving in to block, not to tackle.

Sure if he'd somehow nicked it past them or dinked it over, but he was clearly shaping to shoot so it would have had to be some feign and touch.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That double save, absolutely superb. He has proven himself to be a top notch signing ever since his wobbly first couple of games. He's the best keeper I think I've seen here.

Anyone here eating humble pie? I'm looking at you [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION].

Yes I wasn't sure after the first few games but have been proven completely wrong (again!). He is absolutely superb, brilliant shot stopper and excellent on the ground. Seems to have quickly built up an understanding with the defence too.

Not being particularly tall doesn't seem to hinder him. Arguably it's a plus for the sort of double save he pulled off last night as a taller, bigger keeper might be fractionally slower getting up again after a dive.

And even though he might be a short-arse :))) when he jumps with his hands in the air he can still reach higher than a big lump of a centre forward who has to jump and reach the ball with his head.

Great signing, once he got over his initial nerves.

BroadwayGull

Jan 31, 2014
Worthing
He's been an excellent acquisition.

I feel more comfortable with Ryan in goal than I did with Stockdale. He seems less prone to a clanger, touch wood.

His distribution is probably not as good at Stockdale's but I've noticed he's very comfortable using both feet, which is handy.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
So you can't judge a player based on two games. Who'd have thought it? I'm sure NSC will learn from this, and won't make the same mistake again.

Two games? My old man writes them off after their first touch :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here