Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why don't we leave a player upfield when the opposition have a corner?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Isn't this the way we've played for years though? I don't think CH is the first manager to adopt this with us.
We're a pretty good team on the counter anyway so it's not a real issue for me, although it would be interesting to see how many more we would score/concede if we were to put a couple on the half way line.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I actually kind of understand it in our current very counter attacking side. We break very quickly so bringing everyone back inavirably means in effect the opposition overcommit and only leave one defender back on the half way line and one half way between our box and half way. As we break with such pace it leaves those two defenders exposed and is a huge reason we seem to create chances after defending set pieces.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I recall a game at the Withdean where fans were calling for a player to be left up field when facing an opposition corner, the manager eventually instructed one of our players to do so, and we promptly conceded from that very corner.

Pretty sure we've also had everyone back defending a set piece and we've still broken away quickly to score (Zamora's box to box run at the Amex?)

I remember that goal. A bloke just in front of me was standing up trying to make everyone laugh by his patronising/sarcastic calls for an Albion player to move upfield before the corner was taken. He managed to get a fair bit of attention and eventually a lot of people around him joined in leading to one of our players moving forward just before the corner was taken. The opposition scored straight from that corner. The man who knew best sat straight back down and didn't make a noise after that. What a plank.
I also remember him often thinking it was funny to sarcastically applaud the opposition players being subbed whilst standing up making sure everyone around him could see him and hear his crap sense of humour. Sadly some did find him funny.....every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here