Subs:
March - 7
Brown - 7
Hemed - n/a

Brown - 7 You cannot be serious :lolol:

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
I am not giving ratings but couple of notes having watched the match on telly.

- re Stephens: NBCSN commentary crew (Bill Leslie and Tony Gale? not sure) gave a lot of credit to Stephens throughout the game, they probably thought he was MoM for Brighton. I also didn't think he was as bad as the ratings he has been given here show. At least he wasn't worse than Pröpper.

- re Izquierdo: he wasn't great yesterday but who was? I would not start ranting that there's a problem with him given he was one of the best players on the pitch vs Stoke. It is just a match-up thing as there were also lots of opinions after ManU game that March was the biggest disappointment - it is the Gaffer who should make it work. It was a dull 0-0 yesterday but since Palace is in the bottom of the league and they were playing away I would say that Roy got the best of Hughton in that department.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
- re Stephens: NBCSN commentary crew (Bill Leslie and Tony Gale? not sure) gave a lot of credit to Stephens throughout the game, they probably thought he was MoM for Brighton. I also didn't think he was as bad as the ratings he has been given here show. At least he wasn't worse than Pröpper.

Wrong

- re Izquierdo: he wasn't great yesterday but who was? I would not start ranting that there's a problem with him given he was one of the best players on the pitch vs Stoke. It is just a match-up thing as there were also lots of opinions after ManU game that March was the biggest disappointment - it is the Gaffer who should make it work. It was a dull 0-0 yesterday but since Palace is in the bottom of the league and they were playing away I would say that Roy got the best of Hughton in that department.

Wrong

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I am not giving ratings but couple of notes having watched the match on telly.

I would agree with comments re Stephens. Thought he had a very good game indeed, bar the wayward shot and perhaps a single misplaced pass.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ryan 7. The double saves are becoming a regular feature - I thought Stockers would be a hard act to follow. Not so
Bruno 7. The maestro was untroubled in defence- a standard 7 for El Capitan
Duffy 7. The first shoulder charge on Zaha was wonderful to see.
Dunk 7. Another strong performance
Suttner 7. I assume Bong was injured as no other reason to replace him. However Suttner was excellent all game.
Stephens 6. Horrific in the first half - and that shot when he seemed to have ages to line it up.... Second half was much, much better
Propper 7. Another strong performance from Davy. I really like this guy, would like to see him get a bit further up the pitch.
Knockaert 7. Decent performance. Guilty of wanting to do it all on occasions, but that's part and parcel of having him in your side.
Izquierdo 6. We aren't making the best use of his pace. The ball is often coming to him, to feet/behind him or from the other side of the pitch. Made a couple of timely tackle/fouls.
Gross 6. Didn't really notice him tbh..
Murray 6. Not at his best.. I so wanted him to score against Palace. Disappointing
Subs:
March 7. Looked lively. Tough juggling act for CH with the 3 wingers. Personally I would like to see Knocky/Izquierdo used as the impact sub rather than March.
Hemed 6. Not involved
Brown 5. Not up to the pace of the game/ same wavelength of the others

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

It is general custom at the moment to notch up every single wayward pass Stephens makes no matter how difficult/creative the attempted pass was, whether there's any movement from our players to create space, how the opposition are lined up or what they are doing, and if he only makes one or two in a game, just make up more out of thin air or mistake him for Propper. As opposed to Propper, who gets pardoned for at least a couple of critical turnings over of possession before we start counting. We also have to use passing as the one and only judge of how a midfield player performs, because they don't do anything else right? Probably something to do with the whole Burnley thing and the fact the new guy has a 12M price tag, but the bias sometimes is astounding.

That said, I'm not sure how those pundits gave him credit throughout the game (other than perhaps they're not very good at their jobs), he was admittedly poor in the first half but picked up in second and ended the game as he should have started. But again, that was probably more down to palace tiring, they did a job on our midfield.

Whatever people made of his attacking play, he was tracking back well all game.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ryan 8 - made crucial saves at crucial times and his distribution was sound.
Bruno 7 - decent defensively, should have been more clinical going forward
Duffy 6 - contrary to what most have said, I thought he struggled against Benteke who found it relatively easy to bring their midfield and other forwards into play.
Dunk 6 - some excellent blocks, some good passes, but the odd strange choice on the ball put us under needless pressure. Missed a good chance from a corner first half.
Suttner 7 - good defensively, decent on the ball, but the lack of a partnership with Izquierdo was clear.
Knockaert 6 - a real mixed bag that sums up his season so far. He does some excellent things defensively and pushed us up the pitch well with the ball at his feet, but his passing at times was awful and undid much of the good work. Still, he looked more confident than he has so far this season - I just wish we wouldn't leave him so isolated at times.
Stephens - 8 again, contrary to popular belief, I thought he was very good considering he and Propper were totally outnumbered in midfield. Often switched play well and provided an outlet for our defenders on many occasions.
Propper - 7 like Stephens, we was totally outnumbered and I felt his passing really suffered. I didn't think he was able to offer the same level of creativity as he did last week due to being overloaded, but coped relatively well defensively.
Izquierdo - 6 a frustrating day where we never really brought him into the game in anything approaching a good position. I respect what he brings to the team in theory, but at the moment he doesn't feel part of the unit and I think the team's attacking play is suffering as a result.
Gross - 6 his worst game for us. It felt like he'd dropped deeper to help us dominate the midfield by the end of the first half, but come the second half he'd pushed higher again and the balance of the team suffered. Totally isolated Murray as a result.
Murray - 6 nothing really came off for him today and I think he suffered up against a very good CB in Sakho. Tried one too many flicks where stability and control were needed and missed a good chance at the end which was cleared off the line.

Subs -
March - 6 looked too desperate to impress. I still struggle to see why he's been dropped, but certainly doesn't look as effective coming off the bench.
Brown - N/A
Hemed - N/A

I thought tactically we were naive tonight. Hodgson swarmed the midfield and we should've adapted to exploit the space that was left out wide but unfortunately we failed to do so. Our lack of movement from midfield also meant that we rarely had anyone in the box to pick out and it made the game very easy for them. Overall, disappointing but actually we're still on track.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Does any one else think Izquierdo looks a bit of an odd purchase? It honestly feels like he doesn't know how to dribble sometimes or hit the ball properly sometimes. Maybe he just looks awkward but for 13million (?) I was expecting someone with a bit better ball control

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The low marks for Stephens and Pröpper are a disgrace to the intelligence of this forum.

They must be from people in the North stand. Nobody with a good view of the game could rate them below an 8, they were imperious.

Does any one else think Izquierdo looks a bit of an odd purchase? It honestly feels like he doesn't know how to dribble sometimes or hit the ball properly sometimes. Maybe he just looks awkward but for 13million (?) I was expecting someone with a bit better ball control

[YT]4XT_t-K3DpY[/YT]

Give him time.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
It was a poor performance against a poor side, hence the poor marks! I thought all our front players were poor, and the wingers in particularly slowed the game down too much cutting inside constantly. 6 being average...

Ryan 7
Bruno 6
Duffy 6
Dunk 6
Suttner 6
Stephens 6
Propper 6
Gross 5
Izquierdo 5
Knockaert 5
Murray 5

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Ryan 8 2 great saves and another clean sheet
Sutner 8 Good game
Duffy/Dunk 7 Both defended well against a very good forward. Should have done better at our corners
Bruno 8 Good game
Stevens 6 from standard set in last 2 games poor and should have put chance on target
Gross 5 Must be under instructions but would like to see him get nearer to Murray rather then drift out to wing.
Propper 6 Just want to have chance to praise his attacking ability but apart from set plays never up there
Jose 6 Like all our wingers spend so much time defending and therefore dont do enough in attacking positions
Murray 6 With Gross going wide very little support. However there centre forward showed how to bring ball down when hit long to him. Murray main aim is to get free kick and refs know that.
Knockhaert 6 Unbelievable how twice he won ball when defending and gave it straight back. Apart from getting in box once his attacking play was poor. Time and time again just tried to cross with only Murray there but so often hit first defender
Brown Not on long enough to mark but unlike others like him and would like to see him start at home.
We are to predictable give it out wide on half way line. Nobody to give to in central position because all concentrating on defensive duties. Think with our good points tally Houghton will continue to treat points like gold dust and play the same. Just hope he doesnt regret not giving it a go at home. Apart from odd twenty minute spells we havent dominated any home game. The big worry is our big hope for unlocking defences is looking out of his depth.
Roll on Liverpool. As good as any side going forward just hope leave lots of space at back

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ryan 8

Bruno 8
Suttner 8
Dunk 7
Duffy 7

Knockaert 8
Jose 6
Stephens 7
Propper 7

Gross 6

Murray 6

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Ryan 8

Bruno 7
Suttner 7
Dunk 7
Duffy 7

Knockaert 8
Jose 6
Stephens 5
Propper 7

Gross 5

Murray 6

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Ryan 7. Fantastic double save.
Bruno 7. Decent game as usual.
Duffy 8. Monstrous in the air, was the only player getting even close to Benteke. Loved his "welcome to Brighton" powerslam of Zaha into the advertising.
Dunk 7. Had a solid game.
Suttner 8. MOM for me - I thought Bong was a natural choice, with that little bit more pace, but he was superb defensively and swung in some dangerous crosses going forward.
Stephens 5. I'm a big DS fan but he was poor tonight - salvaged a little pride in the last 20 minutes or so but for 70-odd he had a shocker.
Propper 6. Carried the ball well but passing was inconsistent.
Knockaert 7. Much improved from recent weeks and was one fired up for the occasion. End product was missing though.
Izquierdo 6 Worked very hard for the team defensively and seemed to trouble Ward but we didn't find him often enough.
Gross 6. Very quiet by his standards, would like to see him in a genuine #10 role rather than playing alongside Murray. We offered very little 'between the lines'.
Murray 6. Looked tired and won next to nothing against Sakho. Needs a bit of rotation in the coming weeks.

Subs:
March 6. Caused them some trouble but had little time to influence the game.
Hemed N/A. Barely touched the ball.
Brown N/A. Ditto Hemed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here