Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] FAO man of West Stand Upper; re Racism.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wishing AIDS and ebola on a player is a new one on me, I've never heard that particular line of abuse at a football match before. So the fact (yes FACT) that these diseases are of African origin gives this line of abuse a clear racist undertone. Its an insidious form of abuse which was directed at a black player. The racist who hurled this abuse COULD have said "Oi Zaha, I hope you get cancer". Or "Oi Zaha, I hope you get type 2 diabetes and lose a foot". Which would certainly have been moronic and distasteful, without being racist. But no, instead he selects two of the deadliest diseases known to have come out of Africa, and directed it straight at a black player.

Anyone who is unable to see that clear link and the intention behind it is, quite frankly, being a bit thick.

...just a bit...

then again, leader of the free world has just started retweeting BF tweets, so perhaps thick is the new smart!? :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think it's worse than that tbh.

It may well be, which is depressing. Most racist bigots are by nature going to be a bit thick I suppose.

The type of person who doesn't consider the ebola / AIDS remark directed at Zaha to be racist would probably have found it funny.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Strange thing for someone to make up out of the blue, don't you think ?

I gather it was put down to "bants" though, so that's alright then.

Lots of things get fabricated. Don’t believe all you read.

I read McDonald’s got found on the moon in the Sunday Sport.

Strange thing for someone to make up out of the blue, don’t you think?

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I heard someone shout 'shut up you scouse b*****d' towards a nearby fellow supporter (who appeared to shout out a tactical grumble). There's just some not very nice people in our midst. Fortunately, most Albion supporters are pleasant and friendly.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Yes spence , whoever you are , it is racist quite clearly . If you dont understand that you really shouldnt come to the Albion again - report yourself for racism , turn yourself in , you'll be doing yourself and the club a favour

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lots of things get fabricated. Don’t believe all you read.

I read McDonald’s got found on the moon in the Sunday Sport.

Strange thing for someone to make up out of the blue, don’t you think?

“We were in the hotel. Everybody was excited. It was a big game. On the wall, there was a list of the family and friends who were coming to watch us and I just happened to be next to Mark. He asked me if I had anyone who would be there and I said I had family coming over from Nigeria. ‘Oh,’ he said. ‘Nigeria? Make sure they don’t bring Ebola with them.’

You believe Aluko fabricated that remark for the Guardian and just pulled it out of the air then ? Personally, having followed the whole case closely throughout, I don't. Its her word against Sampsons, but if you believe thats she's the liar then that's your opinion.

Does that mean I believe EVERYTHING I read ? Nope. But making silly comparisons about completely fictional articles printed in the Sunday Sport hardly does much to prove whatever point it is you're trying to make.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
So 18 pages in, and I still dont know if Zahahaha has Aids or Ebola yet?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Once again it would seem NSC has been caught out by a lack of fact checking.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast) has only had 1 reported case of Ebola since 1976, and that was back in 1994, when Zaha was a 2 years old in Abidjan.

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/history/distribution-map.html

outbreak-distribution-map.jpg

Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast) Tai Forest 1 case 0 deaths Taï Forest ebolavirus 1994

Abidjan is approximately 300 kms from Tai Forest, as the Black-headed Rufous Warbler flies.
I find it hard to believe the 2 year old Zaha would have made such a journey.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
“We were in the hotel. Everybody was excited. It was a big game. On the wall, there was a list of the family and friends who were coming to watch us and I just happened to be next to Mark. He asked me if I had anyone who would be there and I said I had family coming over from Nigeria. ‘Oh,’ he said. ‘Nigeria? Make sure they don’t bring Ebola with them.’

You believe Aluko fabricated that remark for the Guardian and just pulled it out of the air then ? Personally, having followed the whole case closely throughout, I don't. Its her word against Sampsons, but if you believe thats she's the liar then that's your opinion.

Does that mean I believe EVERYTHING I read ? Nope. But making silly comparisons about completely fictional articles printed in the Sunday Sport hardly does much to prove whatever point it is you're trying to make.

Going back to my original point. Has this been proven? McDonald’s on the moon has been proven it was fabricated.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Going back to my original point. Has this been proven? McDonald’s on the moon has been proven it was fabricated.

What do you want, "video evidence or it didn't happen" ?

Look Columbo, it's not been "proven" that some bloke in the WSU wished AIDS and ebola on Zaha has it. That's not the point. This thread turned into a debate on whether or not remarks such as that towards a black player can be considered as racist. You're derailing it with some nonsense example plucked from the Daily Sport, in some ham-fisted and irrelevant attempt to make a point about 'not believing everything you read'.

I suggest if you're going to follow me round this thread like a lost puppy, you either get with the program and discuss the serious issue at hand, or slope off to a less challenging thread.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be honest. It matters not one jot whether the comments were ''racist'' or simply in ''bad taste''.

I find it racist, others obviously on here do not and that is their prerogative.

However as soon as whatever is chanted begins to offend the people and peers in the vicinity or anywhere in the ground then that particular chant becomes unacceptable. So for that reason alone the OP should report it and let the Club make up their minds on whether they feel it is something that they are willing to put up with. It is their ground and property and they will know what they are willing to put up with and what they are not. Remember the PL is a world wide stage and the club has a superb reputation to date and as such that reputation deserves to be protected.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Once again it would seem NSC has been caught out by a lack of fact checking.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast) has only had 1 reported case of Ebola since 1976, and that was back in 1994, when Zaha was a 2 years old in Abidjan.

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/history/distribution-map.html

View attachment 91583

Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast) Tai Forest 1 case 0 deaths Taï Forest ebolavirus 1994

Abidjan is approximately 300 kms from Tai Forest, as the Black-headed Rufous Warbler flies.
I find it hard to believe the 2 year old Zaha would have made such a journey.

Played in the 2017 africa cup of nations in the Gabon - stat bro. But dont let facts & a bit of artistic license get in the way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here